The Student Room Group

Top LONDON Architecture Schools

Hi all

A friend and I are both considering BA/BSc (Hons) Architecture. It's something that we both want to do. Seemingly we both have enough qualifications and portfolio work demonstrable for any of the London Uni's.

So which Architecture schools (in London) are considered the best? Could anybody possibly put the London schools in some sort of order of preference/reputation (from 1-7, 1 being the best)? I've listed the schools in the order that they appear in RIBA's validated list:

- The Bartlett, UCL
- Central Saint Martin's
- University of East London
- University of Greenwich
- London Metropolitan University
- London South Bank University
- University of Westminster

I don't think that I've missed any, but if I have could you please add them to the list?

EDIT: This is for Part 1 Exemption courses only!

Many Thanks

T
Reply 1
1. The Bartlett, UCL
2= University of Westminster / London Metropolitan University
4= University of Greenwich / University of East London / London South Bank University

CSM is not Part 1 accredited by RIBA.
Reply 2
You missed out Kingston (not sure if you would consider that London though)?

It depends what exactly you mean by reputation? In the general university league tables, UCL is rated the highest and so is the architecture school by AJ and others within the profession.

Judging by the recent mess that seems to be going on at London Met, I would have serious reservations about studying there

What are you looking for in an architecture school?
Reply 3
what?

I'm sure RIBA don't rank schools in terms or reputation...
Ten thousand images of the work of one of the most iconic of 1960s architecture groups, Archigram, are to be available to view online for the first time – thanks to a ground-breaking University of Westminster project.

http://archigram.westminster.ac.uk/index.php

http://www.westminster.ac.uk/about/news-and-events/news/2010/iconic-archigram-images-available-online-for-first-time,-thanks-to-university-architecture-project
Reply 5
C_D_forever
Ten thousand images of the work of one of the most iconic of 1960s architecture groups, Archigram, are to be available to view online for the first time thanks to a ground-breaking University of Westminster project.

http://archigram.westminster.ac.uk/index.php

http://www.westminster.ac.uk/about/news-and-events/news/2010/iconic-archigram-images-available-online-for-first-time,-thanks-to-university-architecture-project

thank you!
MetroS
You missed out Kingston (not sure if you would consider that London though)?

It depends what exactly you mean by reputation? In the general university league tables, UCL is rated the highest and so is the architecture school by AJ and others within the profession.

Judging by the recent mess that seems to be going on at London Met, I would have serious reservations about studying there

What are you looking for in an architecture school?

whats this 'mess' you speak of..trying to figure out whether to do my part 2 at london met or oxford brookes.

london is my first love but london met had no studio! big turn off
Reply 7
I was referring to the problems they had last year where all of the tutors walked out.
Reply 8
It may have been sorted now though?
Reply 9
Has anyone applied to Cambridge? I will next year but I am super nervous! What sort of thing might they ask in the interview? Ugh :// My portfolio needs to be good... haven't started yet.. Any advice? I know this is not a portfolio thread but where can I see sample ones? could someone send their examples to me (if at all possible?) Much appreciated. And as far as I know London School of Arts is amazing with architecture! =) good luck!
Well, i would say Architectural Association/ Bartlett School of Architecture (UCL) are definately top in London and possible the whole UK, and maybe even Europe. When the uni's say they want to see a portfolio, you really need to be original and impress them, dont turn up with work like other peoples, dont turn up with sketches drawn from photographs. I had interviews for deffered entry 2011 at the Bartlett and AA and with speaking to admissions tutors/students/and other interview candidates they want someone who is knoweldgeable and so enthusiastic!!
Basically you have to prove to them that you are not going to drop out; Architecture is a bloody hard course, and they don't want people wasting opportunities that others could have.

I hope my spiel helps. I been through the process and i honestly wish someone had told me how hard it was going to be to get in!

Best of luck with it all!
ETH Zurich is better than both the AA and Bartlett imho.
Thank you so much for your tips for interview. Could you please explain in more detail by be original and impress them?? '

Original post by ***Buffy***
Well, i would say Architectural Association/ Bartlett School of Architecture (UCL) are definately top in London and possible the whole UK, and maybe even Europe. When the uni's say they want to see a portfolio, you really need to be original and impress them, dont turn up with work like other peoples, dont turn up with sketches drawn from photographs. I had interviews for deffered entry 2011 at the Bartlett and AA and with speaking to admissions tutors/students/and other interview candidates they want someone who is knoweldgeable and so enthusiastic!!
Basically you have to prove to them that you are not going to drop out; Architecture is a bloody hard course, and they don't want people wasting opportunities that others could have.

I hope my spiel helps. I been through the process and i honestly wish someone had told me how hard it was going to be to get in!

Best of luck with it all!
Original post by MetroS
I was referring to the problems they had last year where all of the tutors walked out.

MetroS, not heard of this, why did all the tutors walk out, was it just an Architecture issue or a trade union thing?
Reply 14
I have applied to UCL, I think that they are the top school in terms of avant-garde-ness and creativity, as well as job success rate. Of course, i omit the AA as they are a private institution and because of economic means not everybody is as able to apply there as maybe the Bartlett, but they are in the top ten for best Architecture schools in Europe. I hope to get in to UCL!! :smile: Any UCL Architecture students please message me for I am keen to meet some current students there and get an idea of the course!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending