The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Depends whether you enjoy Arts or Sciences. But yes, if you're unsure, Mathematics is the best bet.
Reply 21
most physical science and maths courses give you loads of options as you pick up lots of analytical and problem solving skills that a lot of other subjects don't give you as much of
Reply 22
Pure Sciences - Physics, Biology, Chemistry, Maths..

Engineering too I think?
I reckon a lot of non-'mickey mouse', degrees will give you tonnes of variety.. Although whether the job is enjoyable and worth doing is another matter.
What's the point of having a wide variety of jobs open to you if you don't want to do any of them?

It would be helpful if you had some idea of the sort of area you want to get into.
Reply 24
Math related subjects ie Engineering/Physics give the largest amount of job opportunities.
Reply 25
Languages with or without another subject. You'll always get the advantage with a language as well. You develop skills like communication skills, logical thinking (grammar, anyone?), essay writing, adaptability, open-mindedness, cultural awareness (year abroad), etc. There's been students graduating in Spanish or German working for top-jobs with RBS or Aldi, so if you're not keen on teaching, translating/interpreting or Foreigne Affairs/Civil Service, don't worry, some maths skills can also get you into Finances even if you did languages.
Physics and/with Philosophy :yep:
Most decent/traditional degrees will let you go into a range of jobs as long as you get a good mark (first or 2:1), so choose something that you feel you can do well in and that you'd enjoy :smile:
Reply 28
Mathematics :smile:
Reply 29
As long as it's at a top 10 school.
IchiCC
Maths.

this is the one...:yep:
Medicine I bet, since you can do anything you want with it.
Reply 32
Chemical engineering teaches you pretty much everything: Maths, Chemistry, Physics, Biology, Economics, IT and other (as important IMO) softer skills: teamwork, communication skills, bla bla

either that or maths, anyway
Reply 33
Basically engineering or maths

Not really physics unfortunately as engineering > physics for job prospects
Byllie
Basically engineering or maths

Not really physics unfortunately as engineering > physics for job prospects

which is a shame, because physics > engineering on the awesome-o-meter :frown:
Most degrees give you variety (the ones that don't are obvious).
Reply 36
ziedj
which is a shame, because physics > engineering on the awesome-o-meter :frown:

I agree
Reply 37
Chemical engineering...
History & English are great for most office-based jobs and anything involving excellent writing abilities (which is most jobs), whilst the likes of Maths and Computer Science appear to be very good for numeracy based jobs.
English, History, Business management

Latest

Trending

Trending