The Student Room Group

need help with choosing a university degree!

i am starting grade 11 this summer, which is my AS year. my subjects are chemistry biology economics and maths. i originally planned on doing medicine in university, but after starting my AS curriculum earlier this summer at school, i realised that i dont particularly like chemistry or biology. it is too late to change my electives now so i don't really mind doing these subjects for my A levels. however i decided that i dont want to be doing the same job for the rest of my life and that i want to rotate jobs from time to time, and work in management for a while. could you give me a few possible university degrees i should apply to?
Original post by rosie_g_w
i am starting grade 11 this summer, which is my AS year. my subjects are chemistry biology economics and maths. i originally planned on doing medicine in university, but after starting my AS curriculum earlier this summer at school, i realised that i dont particularly like chemistry or biology. it is too late to change my electives now so i don't really mind doing these subjects for my A levels. however i decided that i dont want to be doing the same job for the rest of my life and that i want to rotate jobs from time to time, and work in management for a while. could you give me a few possible university degrees i should apply to?

Hey, its great that you have some key ideas about what you want to do.
Biomedical sciences could be a good option, it is a well-regarded degree with lots of variety and at most universities (we definitely do at Sheffield) you have a lot of module choice so you can tailor it to what you enjoy. It also opens the doors to do clinical work, lab work, management and further study - you could go into research or do a teaching qualification after.
If you do not want to do sciences you could do a pure economics degree, although that may not offer you the variety that you want, at least initially.
You could look at engineering degrees as they are well-regarded, interesting and diverse.
You can go into most jobs with a good degree, and the subject you study is not always relevant. Pick a subject that you think you will enjoy.
I hope this has helped somewhat.
Evie (4th year medic at UoS)

Quick Reply

Latest