The Student Room Group

Choose my future for me please

I am 17 and I do A Level Biology Chemistry Physics and Maths and am about to move into Y13. Things are looking really promising at the moment, I have predicted A*s in the sciences and a (low) A in maths (which I will focus on moving to an A*). In terms of difficulty I would rate from high to low: Biology > Maths > Physics > Chemistry where chemistry is the easiest. I plan on taking a gap year next year to build up my UCAS (at the moment I have nothing to offer on there) for whatever university course I am trying to impress. I have a "passion", I guess, in all four of my subjects equally although sometimes I wish I could have taken further maths as well (I had a 9 in gcse maths).

In the next few years AI will take a massive amount of jobs and I don't have any good information on which jobs in my domain are most vulnerable and which aren't. I fear the economy will crash as more and more people become unemployed and consumer spending plummets which leads to a feedback cycle of greedy companies losing revenue/profits and therefore laying off more people and replacing them with robots, which leads to more people becoming poor etc. Many people won't survive and I don't know how long the transition period will last between when the economy crumbles and governments implement some sort of UBI or other plan to save their own people. As much as I would love and prefer to live a simple life as a McDonalds worker, focusing privately on aspects of math and science I truly love in my free time, I am going to university more out of fear than anything, really. Unfortunately, its all about appearances, image, reputation of "Oh look at me Im a smart academic haw-haw-haw now give me money" in terms of career success and I wish I didn't have to go to uni or work a profession at all but here we are. My subjects allow a range of courses to be taken from the top universities from Biology to Chemistry to Physics to Natural Sciences to Medicine to Engineering to Mathematics, etc. I don't really care which one I take as long as the damn thing still exists in 10 years and hasn't been automated away for corporate benefits, and it has a high enough salary to live comfortably. Which subject should I take and specify which university as well
(edited 8 months ago)
Original post by ashton435532
I am 17 and I do A Level Biology Chemistry Physics and Maths and am about to move into Y13. Things are looking really promising at the moment, I have predicted A*s in the sciences and a (low) A in maths (which I will focus on moving to an A*). In terms of difficulty I would rate from high to low: Biology > Maths > Physics > Chemistry where chemistry is the easiest. I plan on taking a gap year next year to build up my UCAS (at the moment I have nothing to offer on there) for whatever university course I am trying to impress. I have a "passion", I guess, in all four of my subjects equally although sometimes I wish I could have taken further maths as well (I had a 9 in gcse maths).

In the next few years AI will take a massive amount of jobs and I don't have any good information on which jobs in my domain are most vulnerable and which aren't. I fear the economy will crash as more and more people become unemployed and consumer spending plummets which leads to a feedback cycle of greedy companies losing revenue/profits and therefore laying off more people and replacing them with robots, which leads to more people becoming poor etc. Many people won't survive and I don't know how long the transition period will last between when the economy crumbles and governments implement some sort of UBI or other plan to save their own people. As much as I would love and prefer to live a simple life as a McDonalds worker, focusing privately on aspects of math and science I truly love in my free time, I am going to university more out of fear than anything, really. Unfortunately, its all about appearances, image, reputation of "Oh look at me Im a smart academic haw-haw-haw now give me money" in terms of career success and I wish I didn't have to go to uni or work a profession at all but here we are. My subjects allow a range of courses to be taken from the top universities from Biology to Chemistry to Physics to Natural Sciences to Medicine to Engineering to Mathematics, etc. I don't really care which one I take as long as the damn thing still exists in 10 years and hasn't been automated away for corporate benefits, and it has a high enough salary to live comfortably. Which subject should I take and specify which university as well

Hi there :hello:
I don't think I can choose a course for you :colondollar:

However if it helps I recently graduated from a chemistry degree so can answer anything you want to know about that.

I'd say one thing that is quite encouraging about scientific areas right now is the incorporation of AI/machine learning and generally new technologies / coding related opportunities. If you can code or learn to code and go into an area of science, you are going to be super in demand. Would definitely recommend that.

Best wishes,
Cheese
Reply 2
Why not do something which gives you real skills which are harder to replace by AI? How about plumbing?
Reply 3

I hope you realise that strangers on the internet deciding your future for you will never have a scenario in which it ends well. People can give you options on what might be for the best, but telling you to do a specific subject is a bit... wrong. There are jobs in every sector which won't be affected by AI for many many years to come, as each science has a lot of variety in terms of what jobs you can get from a specific degree. I'm not sure how your school makes predicted grades but you shouldn't feel like they make you up as a person. I'm sure you've seen loads of people who had their A level results say that they got A*s all year and yet they got a B at the end or something like that. Don't get me wrong, you have so many opportunities thanks to having those grades and you could freely apply to those top universities. You could go into some sort of engineering and maybe learn coding on the side? That would open you up to a ton of AI and robotics jobs, which are going more and more in demand. I'm starting my mathematics degree in October and the amount of variety I have is more than I ever thought. If you ever do become indecisive by the end of your UCAS deadline, I would personally say to try and pick a degree with a lot of variety to what you could do after graduation. Of course, I don't think mathematics is your best bet as you have good predicteds but you don't do further maths.

What I did personally, as first year I was doing Bio, chem , maths and EPQ, I dropped bio and picked up the whole A level further maths in the 2nd year. The workload was immense, but I still ended up getting an A* in it. Obviously, I hated biology so I'm sure our stories are different.

All I can really say is properly look into each degree and all the opportunities it helps create, and make sure you enjoy it.
Reply 4

Hi I want to ask how you felt about taking each of these subjects as it's what I'm planning to do at college! Alot of people have advised me against it and have said it is far too hard to take all three sciences and maths as well. Congratulations on your grades this year too!
I'm surprised no one has said this yet but the degree you choose doesn't matter after university, unless of course you want to become a dentist or doctor. Someone with a biology degree can go into the finance or tech industry. Also for majority of degrees there is no pipeline of you do a biology degree --- become biologist. or you do an economics degree and you become an economist after university.

Majority of people do not use what they learnt in their degree during their day to day job.
Reply 6
Original post by fa.17
Hi I want to ask how you felt about taking each of these subjects as it's what I'm planning to do at college! Alot of people have advised me against it and have said it is far too hard to take all three sciences and maths as well. Congratulations on your grades this year too!

it is really hard. i dont really have a life lol
Reply 7
In my opinion, if you’re struggling to decide what you want to do, go for the hardest possible option and challenge yourself. Therefore in your case I would go for a physics or mathematics degree and then see where that takes you, it will be a challenge but your post degree options will be endless.

Quick Reply

Latest