The Student Room Group

what careers can my friend do with these a levels?

my friend wants to do biology, geography and physics a levels and a criminology BTECH. she really wants to become a pilot when she is older. however, she is worried that if she doesn't end up getting into a flight academy, her a levels won't help her get into any good careers. should she change them? what degrees or jobs can she get into with these a levels?
Original post by eeeeeeeeeeerin
my friend wants to do biology, geography and physics a levels and a criminology BTECH. she really wants to become a pilot when she is older. however, she is worried that if she doesn't end up getting into a flight academy, her a levels won't help her get into any good careers. should she change them? what degrees or jobs can she get into with these a levels?

Personally, I would recommend her to do Maths on top, but she is still able to go into a variety of degrees and professions.
Even with A Levels in random subjects, she can go into 600+ careers

The Criminology BTEC is only good for the grade; it's not a subject that's widely accepted by unis as far as I know.

The Biology A Level + any science would allow her to go into a wide variety of healthcare and life science degrees including medicine. However, as chemistry is not in the mix, she might not be able to do some degrees in life sciences e.g. Pharmacy, Veterinary Science, Dentistry.

The only disciplines and fields where should would have some problems getting into include:

Most quantitative degrees e.g. economics, finance, computer science, physics, engineering, data science

Actuary

Some life science and healthcare degrees

Engineering, maybe

As this could end up being a very very long winded post (and I end up writing a novel), it would significantly help if she would be a lot more specific about what alternative careers she is interested in, or some idea of what sort of work she would like to do day in day out.

It's kind of difficult not to end up getting into a flight academy unless she has severe health problems. If she really wanted to, she could have applied with just GCSEs.
Original post by MindMax2000
Personally, I would recommend her to do Maths on top, but she is still able to go into a variety of degrees and professions.
Even with A Levels in random subjects, she can go into 600+ careers

The Criminology BTEC is only good for the grade; it's not a subject that's widely accepted by unis as far as I know.

The Biology A Level + any science would allow her to go into a wide variety of healthcare and life science degrees including medicine. However, as chemistry is not in the mix, she might not be able to do some degrees in life sciences e.g. Pharmacy, Veterinary Science, Dentistry.

The only disciplines and fields where should would have some problems getting into include:

Most quantitative degrees e.g. economics, finance, computer science, physics, engineering, data science

Actuary

Some life science and healthcare degrees

Engineering, maybe

As this could end up being a very very long winded post (and I end up writing a novel), it would significantly help if she would be a lot more specific about what alternative careers she is interested in, or some idea of what sort of work she would like to do day in day out.

It's kind of difficult not to end up getting into a flight academy unless she has severe health problems. If she really wanted to, she could have applied with just GCSEs.

thank you so much for the reply! it's much appreciated. i'll let her know about this.

Quick Reply

Latest