The Student Room Group

Love

I'd be very interested to know what everyones view on love is. Ok, this may sound silly - but really - wat are ur beliefs???

Do you believe in soul mates?

Do you believe there is only one RIGHT person for out out there (the one) or several "right" people?

Do you believe in love at first sight?

Have you ever been in love?

I first met a guy 3 years ago and it wasn't love at first sight. I didn't think he was that great looking but I got to know his personality and he was so lovely. I began to like him more and more as I kept bumping into him. He seemed to like me too. But I thought that he seemed like "the one" - he was SO perfect for me. Because I thought this, I didn't do anything about my feelings as I didn't want to rush into it. I felt like I would be with him forever and felt I was too young to be in such a serious relationship. So I let it go - still hoping that our relationship will start when we are both ready. Now almost a year has passed and I've hardly seen him. And my feelings for him are still there but not as strong obviously because I hardly see him. I wonder what this means. Does it mean we were not meant for each other? Or just that feelings always fade when you have time apart...no matter how right for you, the other person is???

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
sweet_gal
I'd be very interested to know what everyones view on love is. Ok, this may sound silly - but really - wat are ur beliefs???

Do you believe there is only one RIGHT person for out out there (the one) or several "right" people?

I first met a guy 3 years ago and it wasn't love at first sight. I didn't think he was that great looking but I got to know his personality and he was so lovely. I began to like him more and more as I kept bumping into him. He seemed to like me too. But I thought that he seemed like "the one" - he was SO perfect for me. Because I thought this, I didn't do anything about my feelings as I didn't want to rush into it. I felt like I would be with him forever and felt I was too young to be in such a serious relationship. So I let it go - still hoping that our relationship will start when we are both ready. Now almost a year has passed and I've hardly seen him. And my feelings for him are still there but not as strong obviously because I hardly see him. I wonder what this means. Does it mean we were not meant for each other? Or just that feelings always fade when you have time apart...no matter how right for you, the other person is???

Well, it depends what your beliefs are. I think there might be several "right" people out there for you, since if there was only one, they'd be very hard to find. He could be the "right" one, but in my view, he has to feel the same way to be the "right" one. Does he feel the same? Well, there's only one way to find out, next time you bump into him, have a chat. Maybe go out somewhere and see how keen he is. You may even get back together. But I think that if you're meant to be then you'll bump into each other without trying.

I could be wrong, they're just my thoughts really.

Anyway, good luck with it and don't try too hard.
I think that there must be at least one person out there who is perfect for me. There might be some "almost right" but there is somebody "perfect" somewhere.

Where? I don't know. I might know them already, I might not. They might be at the bottom of my street or they might be in Russia or somewhere meaning I'm never going to meet them.
sweet_gal

well, u hav asked so many questions together !!!
First of all, love does exist, i believe in soulmates and i also believe in the fact that there can be more that 1 partners for ppl, bcos if someone may think that he/she is 'THE ONE', and after sometime, things may not work out, then u hav nothing else to do then just go back into finding another soulmate.
This is a human psyche..... someone hits the bullseye in the very first go, and someone just cannot....eventually there is a conclusion !!!

i do believe in love at first site.
The first gal whom i felt in love with not at first site, but was in the manner in which u have said.
I felt in love again pretty lately, and i am sure hat it was love, cause when u speak to the gal, u kinda stammer, and it happened to me, and it was love at first site...so there is always a scope of multiple chance.
I am still looking, since she had a b/f....and it hurts...hurts like hell !!!
Reply 4
love is an illusion.
corey
love is an illusion.

but, an illusion of sorts !!!
Reply 6
sweet_gal

I never beleived in soul mates or that one person i thought it was all boohockey until on night in paris (school trip) and a group os us were lieing around tlking when i moved and was suddenly in this guys arms (didnt know him well just distant mates) wen i suddenly felt it the 'Spark' as thay say then that turned 2 a hug acouple or days leter well u no :wink: and im still with him the LOVE of my life after 15 months!!!
Nicci_babe
I never beleived in soul mates or that one person i thought it was all boohockey until on night in paris (school trip) and a group os us were lieing around tlking when i moved and was suddenly in this guys arms (didnt know him well just distant mates) wen i suddenly felt it the 'Spark' as thay say then that turned 2 a hug acouple or days leter well u no :wink: and im still with him the LOVE of my life after 15 months!!!

good for u, congratulations !!!
Reply 8
hey everyone!!
thanks sooo much for all your lovely replies. i love it when ppl reply to my posts and you all have such interesting things to say - so keep it up!

well the reason i felt like this guy was "the one" was because we kept bumping into each other and when I first heard him talking I thought he had the nicest voice and personality I had EVER heard. First time we locked eyes was on Christmas Eve 2000 and he kept staring at me but I wasn't interested. Ever since then I seem to see him or kinda bump into him every couple of months or so. I've never tried to bump into him - it just happens - we haven't had much of a chance to really talk though.

I had that feeling that he felt like home - u know that feeling when someone seems really familiar or similar and u just feel that they are so much like you. And you feel good to be around them coz they are just you, you know?

But I hardly saw him last year - only a few times by chance but we barely got to speak. I know if we are meant to be then something will happen - and I know now is not the right time. So I am trying to move on and go out with other guys but no other guys have grabbed my interest - well none at all last year!!

Just came back from a camping trip - finally met someone I really liked. We talked heaps and really clicked, I really liked him coz he was such a lovely guy - and hot too! But I was shy so I never got his number and I think he only liked me as a friend :-(....I know where he works though but I'm not gonna stalk him, lol. So yeah....I feel my luck isn't too great with guys at the moment but I haven't given up. I'm still very young (17) and so I'll just take everything as it comes!

I believe there is someone out there for everyone. I do believe in soulmates and that there is only really ONE person who is absolutely PERFECT for you. But I don't believe everyone finds that. I do however believe that everyone has at least one true love in their life - who loves them back as well.
Reply 9
Love. Have you truly found it? Your true soulmate? can one have a soul mate that isn't their partner, and never will be?? that one person we can talk to when we are having troubles with out partners
Reply 10
Love is only a feeling. In my old age I'm becoming cynical about most things. As they say, reality is an illusion created by a lack of alcohol.
Reply 11
sweet_gal

yeah, ive been in love, his name was jacob wasserman...and i thought it was over, then i saw him again this summer, and it was instantaneous. again, i was in love......
Reply 12
hey - dont be so cynical! love is real. fate is real. if you are meant to be with someone you will be. i am a hopeless romantic at heart and hope I am always like that. i have read SOOOOOOO many true love stories it's not funny. and they are so magical to read. the cutest ones are of couples who met when they were young - circumstances separated them - and pure fate brought them back together. love is real. just trust in it and you will find it. although they always say u find it when ur not looking. perhaps thats my problem - im always looking!
Reply 13
sweet_gal
hey - dont be so cynical! love is real. fate is real. if you are meant to be with someone you will be. i am a hopeless romantic at heart and hope I am always like that. i have read SOOOOOOO many true love stories it's not funny. and they are so magical to read. the cutest ones are of couples who met when they were young - circumstances separated them - and pure fate brought them back together. love is real. just trust in it and you will find it. although they always say u find it when ur not looking. perhaps thats my problem - im always looking!

I know love is real. I've been there before. I'd rather not read true love stories. I'd rather use my puncture repair kit to mend inflatable Ingrid :smile:
Reply 14
Col-C
Love is only a feeling. In my old age I'm becoming cynical about most things. As they say, reality is an illusion created by a lack of alcohol.

Someone older than I am? How old would you be may I ask?
Reply 15
Col-C
I know love is real. I've been there before. I'd rather not read true love stories. I'd rather use my puncture repair kit to mend inflatable Ingrid :smile:

Even Ingrid needs a break though mate.
Reply 16
Sire
Someone older than I am? How old would you be may I ask?

I was born aged 40........so let me think......I'm 59 now :smile:
Reply 17
Col-C

So basically you're 27?
Reply 18
Col-C

dang, i hope nnot! oh ok, your 19......
Reply 19
Sire
So basically you're 27?