The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

Scroll to see replies

adowa
is the food really that poor tho? is there access to a microwave or nefin like that?

Platanes kitchen is nice and modern, the other kitchens are actually ****.
I had a toaster and kettle in my room, as well as a sandwich maker. :biggrin:

The food is a bit like school dinners to tell you the truth... basically you can get by but there's gonna be days where you don't like the look of anything... apart from breakfast which is actually quite nice. We had a lot of takeaways as well as buying pizzas etc from Sainsburys.
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Reply 21
thing is mate, my bro n sis went kcl. every1 i talk 2 says stamford street is wat makes kings! ur rite, id love 2 live out in halls, near the uni of course. Its just im gonna b studying at strand n it takes 40mins to get from kch to strand campus. main reason for having halls in 1st yr is 2 make mates, but every1s down stamford or great dover st, those places r live. on the map of london kch and hamstead r milage from central london. Its like kch cuts u off from the social pipe line. hamstead is wkd, but the area in which kch r situated is depressing. thats just how i feel..

dazmanultra
I was in Cameron.

Mate, you don't live in halls to live a life of luxury. The first and foremost reason for living in halls is to make friends. KCH is whilst lacking aestetically and in home comforts is a great place to do this. Of course it's your choice, but all through university, and life in general *everything* is what you make of it.

Bring your own duvet, get some nice posters, maybe some plants... i even had a couple of inflatable chairs for friends to sit on... it really was great fun.

The food is pretty poor though, so you'll be wanting to buy snacks etc from the nearby 24 hours Sainsburys... but again, it's all part of the halls experience. Trekking to Sainsburys at 4am because you have the munchies lol.

Transport is also pretty good, Denmark Hill to Blackfriars is free most days... and takes 10 minutes to blackfriars, and the strand is then a 10 minute walk from there. London Bridge you have to pay for - they have ticket barriers. :redface:

This paragraph of what I said is incredibly pertinent:-

I'm not trying to sell it to anyone, it's just I want people not to write it off as a hellhole simply because it looks a bit rubbish from the outset, because it has a great social atmosphere, unlike any other halls simply because of the bar and the parties we had.
Obaid
Its like kch cuts u off from the social pipe line. hamstead is wkd, but the area in which kch r situated is depressing. thats just how i feel..

Dover Street and Stamford Street are anything but social, i just thought i'd warn you.

SSA and GDSA are not all they're cracked up to be, and certainly not the be-all and end-all of coming to Kings.
Reply 23
So there are actually kitchens then? I don't want to be in caterred u see. I don't eat at normal meal times and I hate school dinners.
Reply 24
Well I tried to get out of KCH when I first got the allocation, but the accomodation office informed me that if I pulled out of KCH, I would go to the bottom of the waiting list, and as I live within the M25 ring road, if I joined the waiting list, I probably would not have received an offer for anywhere else, however if you really don't like it taker4376, maybe you can try to get re-allocated?
Reply 25
Hi everyone,

got a place at KCH too, was my fourth choice tho... but nevermind. Didn't really want to travel far, have to find my way to Guys campus every day which should be interesting....

Anywho, just wondering if anyone knows how many ppl u have to share a bathroom with???? Originally wanted to go ''ensuite'' but now have no choice, so gotta get meself prepared!!!

Anyone else doing Biomed or any other sciency course at Guys???
xxx mel
Reply 26
cara-mel
Hi everyone,

got a place at KCH too, was my fourth choice tho... but nevermind. Didn't really want to travel far, have to find my way to Guys campus every day which should be interesting....

Anywho, just wondering if anyone knows how many ppl u have to share a bathroom with???? Originally wanted to go ''ensuite'' but now have no choice, so gotta get meself prepared!!!

Anyone else doing Biomed or any other sciency course at Guys???
xxx mel

Hey i'm going to KCH and doing biomedical sciences!
Reply 27
I've warmed to KCH since being allocated, everyone here has helped with all the information. I like the idea of having loads of social stuff around and this overrides the lack of en-suite and travelling.
Glad to see that! I've warmed to it anyway. Now, unless there's a hole leading to Hell in my room, or I don't have a door, or I get a cat called Billy, nothing will damped my spirit! And I'm used to clogged up / rubbish toilet facilities. Private school life isn't all roses! I can't wait!
Reply 29
adowa
Hey i'm going to KCH and doing biomedical sciences!

that cool, so guess u mite end up travelling with me every morning into campus...? do u reckon u're gunna get a train in to Guys most days? I.e. travel card mite save money..?

Have u got any info about freshers week or anything...? I haven't yet, but don't really know when we sposed to either.
See ya there!!!
Mel :smile:
Reply 30
cara-mel
that cool, so guess u mite end up travelling with me every morning into campus...? do u reckon u're gunna get a train in to Guys most days? I.e. travel card mite save money..?

Have u got any info about freshers week or anything...? I haven't yet, but don't really know when we sposed to either.
See ya there!!!
Mel :smile:

Hey yeah i'm gonna get the train in cause the traffic in the morning will be ridiculous! yeah i'm thinking about gettin an annual travelcard cause i know i'll probably want to use the bus and tube a lot...do you currently live in london?
Reply 31
adowa
Hey yeah i'm gonna get the train in cause the traffic in the morning will be ridiculous! yeah i'm thinking about gettin an annual travelcard cause i know i'll probably want to use the bus and tube a lot...do you currently live in london?

No i don't do u?. I live about an hour away, but don't spose travel card will cover trains home rite?

Anywho, u looking forward to moving in? I bit nervous, coz don't know anyone, but guess a lot of ppl in same situation... Whats ur name btw? Mines Melissa. :smile:
Reply 32
cara-mel
No i don't do u?. I live about an hour away, but don't spose travel card will cover trains home rite?

Anywho, u looking forward to moving in? I bit nervous, coz don't know anyone, but guess a lot of ppl in same situation... Whats ur name btw? Mines Melissa. :smile:

My name is Valerie, but adowa is my african name (I was born here but my family's from Ghana) meaning 'born on a monday' v.imaginative! Anyway, I live about 30mins from Denmark Hill but I wanted to move out to experience university life, and to hopefully make lots of new friends hence i'm looking forward to moving in but i am sooooo nervous cause like you, I won't know anyone and all that, but i suppose that's half the fun! Are your parents helping you to move in?

By the way, a travelcard covers everything...trains, buses, trams, dlr and the tube so I think i'll be getting one cause I pretty much travel to most places in london, but don't get one until you've enrolled, that way you can apply for a student oyster card, and get about 30% off. I think you can just get a rail-card if you think you'll only use the trains, but to get money off, you need a young persons rail card...to be honest its easier to get a travelcard :smile:
A Zone 1-2 travel card can be pretty expensive (~£50), but a monthly rail ticket for Denmark Hill to London Bridge is approximately £20 a month I think. It just depends on how much travelling you're really expecting to do.
dazmanultra
A Zone 1-2 travel card can be pretty expensive (~£50), but a monthly rail ticket for Denmark Hill to London Bridge is approximately £20 a month I think. It just depends on how much travelling you're really expecting to do.

50 quid a month? Or 50 quid a year? Or a week? Or what?
It's ~£80 a month and then you have a 30% student discount, so it's roughly £50 a month, but you have to get the form and get it stamped by the office at the student union.
Sounds a little steep to me. Then again, I've never lived in London before... erk.
Reply 37
adowa
My name is Valerie, but adowa is my african name (I was born here but my family's from Ghana) meaning 'born on a monday' v.imaginative! Anyway, I live about 30mins from Denmark Hill but I wanted to move out to experience university life, and to hopefully make lots of new friends hence i'm looking forward to moving in but i am sooooo nervous cause like you, I won't know anyone and all that, but i suppose that's half the fun! Are your parents helping you to move in?

By the way, a travelcard covers everything...trains, buses, trams, dlr and the tube so I think i'll be getting one cause I pretty much travel to most places in london, but don't get one until you've enrolled, that way you can apply for a student oyster card, and get about 30% off. I think you can just get a rail-card if you think you'll only use the trains, but to get money off, you need a young persons rail card...to be honest its easier to get a travelcard :smile:

Oh are u gonna wait until you've enrolled, yeh that def a good idea, even if takes a while to get one, saves money in the long run...

Which name do you use, what do u prefer to be called? That quite handy having two names, coz if u don';t like one spose you can use the other?? Yeh definately glad i not going to be living at home, I think you'll miss out on a lot of the student life if u kept travelling back home.

Yeh I'm going up there in my parents car, to carry all my stuff. What do u think we need, i mean other than clothes etc, because things like a kettle, did in the letter it said u were allowed to take a kettle?? Mine said not to in the rooms...

Anyway not long to go now.... don't really know what to expect tho... hehe :smile:
Reply 38
I went to visit the Halls today. They aern't for everybody. I can see why some people would like the atmosphere but they aern't for me. The cafeteria area and common room reminded me very much of school and so do all the corridors leading to the rooms. The Plats building was definately the nicest and the Danehurst had the best common room, also including pool and squash courts as well as the sky tv room and pingpong. The bar was in the cameron building, the least impressive in my opinion. It is true that there are no carpets, in most of the building its the stuff they put down in school corridors. The bathrooms and toilets were very decent, with locks and we were assured there are no queues in the morning etc. The buildings all have wireless now. The kitchens aern't brilliant. You can rent a fridge if you want to. I don't know the price. The quad is a nice area in the summer.

Blankets are provided and are washed weekly. There are laundrettes in each building, Dryer is 50p and Washer is £1.20 I think. Pool and snooker is 50p for around an hour. The bar looks for undergraduate staff but you need to get in quick. There are areas to tie up your bikes. I didn't see a whole lot in the area but was told there were bars nearby etc.

There are microwaves in the kitchens. And there were three sockets in the rooms, I think... it may vary.

Any questions I'ld be happy to answer, just P.M me :smile:
Reply 39
cara-mel
Oh are u gonna wait until you've enrolled, yeh that def a good idea, even if takes a while to get one, saves money in the long run...

Which name do you use, what do u prefer to be called? That quite handy having two names, coz if u don';t like one spose you can use the other?? Yeh definately glad i not going to be living at home, I think you'll miss out on a lot of the student life if u kept travelling back home.

Yeh I'm going up there in my parents car, to carry all my stuff. What do u think we need, i mean other than clothes etc, because things like a kettle, did in the letter it said u were allowed to take a kettle?? Mine said not to in the rooms...

Anyway not long to go now.... don't really know what to expect tho... hehe :smile:

I normally use Valerie, but most of my friends call me Valda....(long story), anyway i'm just going to bring like hair dryers, my ghd's that kind of stuff, and probably a kettle and a sandwich toaster and just hide it or something :wink:. Did halls send you a letter saying they have to test some of your electrical appliances because they're over a year old?

Taker4376, does this mean you aren't taking your place in KCH?

Latest