The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 580
RyanHansell
This is coming from someone who spends their days, posting negligible, inconsequential replies on a student forum, on a topic you presume trivial?

hillarious.

Mate **** off you loner and go back to facebook to increase your friend list.

@Phonicsdude, no point wasting your time here, these ***** just going round and round in circles.
Reply 581
saab_101
Very good point about Islam in general. Although, most muslims tend to pick and choose which points they agree with and which they don't. I didn't, and accepted that Islam wasn't for me.

Well, at least you are honest. By the way, what are you now? Agnostic?

saab_101
Freedom of speech comes with responsibilities

What does that mean? It sounds incredibly vague.

saab_101
The drawing's have no purpose other than to offend and disrespect Muslims, so why draw them?

Actually, that is not exactly true. They do have a purpose: to demonstrate our resolve in freedom of expression.
Reply 582
BumperBo
Because we can, and we have to show that we can. It's standing up to the Hangman together, rather than allowing one cartoonist or TV show writer at a time to be destroyed until there's nobody left brave enough to stand up.

This is so true. Likewise, we should all go out and kill someone, just because we can, and we have to show that we can. It's standing up to the Hangman together, rather than allowing one serial killer or psychopath to be destroyed until there's nobody left brave enough to stand up against society, respect of the other, and common sense.

Oops, did I misunderstand what you were saying?

That reminds me of some thread about phobias. The first thing people tend to do when you tell them you have a phobia about something is to make you face it for fun. You're afraid of bananas, well someone's going to be a douche and throw a banana to your face. Way to be stupid and childish.

I can't believe how disrespectful some people are.
uer23
Mate **** off you loner and go back to facebook to increase your friend list.

@Phonicsdude, no point wasting your time here, these ***** just going round and round in circles.

:confused: why the sudden outburst? just because they don't respect your beliefs doesn't mean you shouldn't respect them. take the higher moral standing. :smile:
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Im-on-Facebook-LOL-jk-Im-from-Pakistan/118548244847565?ref=ts
Reply 585
divine_alive
no reason can justifies it.

Yeah, but Muslims offend all non-Muslims, so why aren't non-Muslims allowed to offend Muslims? Isn't that a double standard?
Kralizec
Fix'd

And for your information I am perfectly free to criticise whatever religion I like without facing any repercussions. Christianity forbids blasphemy but I have the freedom to say "The Christian God is a racist, sexist, genocidal piece of ****"

However someone draws one ****ing picture of Mohammad (something that Muslims have been doing for centuries btw) then suddenly thousands of people want it censored or the artist dead.

This is a protest against that. No belief, of any kind, is above criticism. No religion should force those who do not follow it to obey it's commandments.

Stop trying to force me to abide by the rules of your religion

Source?
Xurvi
This is so true. Likewise, we should all go out and kill someone, just because we can, and we have to show that we can. It's standing up to the Hangman together, rather than allowing one serial killer or psychopath to be destroyed until there's nobody left brave enough to stand up against society, respect of the other, and common sense.

Oops, did I misunderstand what you were saying?

That reminds me of some thread about phobias. The first thing people tend to do when you tell them you have a phobia about something is to make you face it for fun. You're afraid of bananas, well someone's going to be a douche and throw a banana to your face. Way to be stupid and childish.

I can't believe how disrespectful some people are.

Yep. You deliberately misunderstood my argument and made an analogy that you know is wrong... to be cute or something? Not sure I never really saw the point in pretending you have no idea what someone means rather than coming up with an actual argument.
BumperBo
Source?

You're joking right?

Seriously though, you are joking, correct?

Ever heard of danish cartoonists?
HDS
You're joking right?

I think they meant the 'have been drawing them for centuries' bit.
HDS
You're joking right?

My bad, I meant where did you hear that Muslims have been drawing Muhammad for centuries?
Reply 591
Phonicsdude
Stand up to what? What are you achieving apart from inflaming many moderate muslims? You think the bombers give a ****?

OK im off to go tutor. I will respond to the most cogent replies later.

Islamic extremists have been threatening and attacking those who draw pictures portraying Mohammad in a negative light.

As a result, mainstream media has been bullied and intimidated into not portraying Mohammad. Pictures and jokes have been shown and made about him for years and the moderate Muslims didn't give a ****. Then extremists start running around trying to cut peoples heads off and suddenly taking a stand against them is wrong because it offends moderate Muslims?

What's next? What if the extremists decide that ANY criticism of Islam deserves this reaction? What if the media is then bullied into accepting that? Not saying a word against the religion for fear of violent retaliation?

And what if people try to protest against that? Criticise Islam to show the extremists that they can't be intimidated by threats of violence? Will the moderate Muslim world rise up in defence of the extremists?

Because that's exactly what you are doing here you know. This protest is targeted against those Muslims who threaten violence against those who depict their Prophet. This is about showing them that we won't be intimidated by threats of violence.

Maybe if the moderate Muslim world were to PROPERLY speak out against this kind of extremism instead of just going "oh not all Muslims feel that way" then this wouldn't be necessary.

Maybe if moderate Muslims were to take a proper stand by tackling it head on as they should rather than just ignoring it.
BumperBo
Source?

Ah sorry, i thought you meant the other thing, anyway I got what you were referring to and here you go:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Depictions_of_Muhammad#Visual_depictions

The Persian tradition of visual depictions of Muhammad begins around 1300 (Ilkhanid period). The earliest extant Persian manuscript representation of Muhammad is found in the Marzubannama manuscript, dating to 1299. The Ilkhanid MS Arab 161 of 1307/8 contains 25 illustrations of Al-Biruni's The Remaining Signs of Past Centuries, of which five include depictions Muhammad, including the two concluding images, the largest and most accomplished in the manuscript, which emphasize the relation of Muhammad and `Ali according to Shi`ite doctrine. Depictions of Muhammad remain common in Timurid Persian and Ottoman art throughout the 14th, 15th, and 16th centuries. Perhaps the most elaborate cycle of illustrations of Muhammad's life is the late 16th century copy of the 14th century biography Siyer-i Nebi produced by order of Murat III.

p.s. I'm not the one who originally posted that comment, but a quick search gave that up, if you go there yuo can actually find alot of the ancient depictions.
Reply 593
BumperBo
My bad, I meant where did you hear that Muslims have been drawing Muhammad for centuries?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Depictions_of_Muhammad#Depiction_by_Muslims

There are plenty of pictures there.

Look them up if you don't think they are legit
BumperBo
Source?

If you meant source for drawing pictures for thousands of years:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:La.Vie.de.Mahomet.jpg
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Maome.jpg
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Mohammed_kaaba_1315.jpg

If the other, your ******* kidding me right?
moregano
It's very disrespectful. There's no need to laugh in the face of someone else's beliefs and culture in order to make a point about free speech.

I don't like the way Facebook has become a breeding ground for this kind of mass bullying and spreading of prejudice and hatred.

It's very disrespectful that I can't put pencil to paper and draw a picture of a fictional character. Relgion is nothing but fear and I'm not scared. :woo:
Reply 596
BumperBo
Yep. You deliberately misunderstood my argument and made an analogy that you know is wrong... to be cute or something? Not sure I never really saw the point in pretending you have no idea what someone means rather than coming up with an actual argument.

As a matter of fact that was a metaphor, and apparently, you failed to grasp the idea behind it, which is: because you can doesn't mean you should.
Drawing a picture of their prophet for the sake of being offensive and provocative is disrespectful. I'm not against the simple fact to draw him for whatever reason, what I'm against here is both the idea of being offensive on purpose with the argument of supporting "freedom of speech" and the sheep attitude of some.
You dislike Islam? Fine, that doesn't mean you should trash it either.
You find some of their customs disgusting? Then attack these habits, not the whole religion.
You think they offended you and want to offend them back? I fail to see how they could offend you personally. I may understand your hate against extremism (as I hate them too), but that doesn't mean you have the right to be rude to the entire population of Muslims; especially since extremism isn't only found in Islam.

There is absolutely no need to offend them like this.
this is just absoutely sad and people supporting this are just jobless!
everyone must respect others religion and say nothing about it!
just because few people has posed bad image towards Islam doesn't mean that others are too!
fareshta jan
just because few people has posed bad image towards Islam doesn't mean that others are too!

no.
Reply 599
fareshta jan

[citation needed]

fareshta jan

So people should be banned from criticising Islam?

fareshta jan

This protest isn't about insulting Islam. It's about fighting for freedom of speech.

Something that you obviously have no regard for.

Latest

Trending

Trending