The Student Room Group

OCR F211 May 25th Biology

Scroll to see replies

To do with the movement of water through the root cortex and out of the leaves etc.. anyone know what key words they would have been looking for?

Also I wasnt sure if it should be water potential or water vapour potential.. That question just seemed to be more of a waffley question than being able to make key points.

I seemed to know what I was writing for the most of it though e.g. the 5+ mark questions but on the 2 mark questions I think I just waffled about the first point hoping I'd get 2 marks for it. :rolleyes:

Well done all. :smile:
Reply 21
I thought this paper was much easier than the one in January, Im hoping I got an A this time :smile:
Reply 22
Marshmellow.
To do with the movement of water through the root cortex and out of the leaves etc.. anyone know what key words they would have been looking for?

Also I wasnt sure if it should be water potential or water vapour potential.. That question just seemed to be more of a waffley question than being able to make key points.

I seemed to know what I was writing for the most of it though e.g. the 5+ mark questions but on the 2 mark questions I think I just waffled about the first point hoping I'd get 2 marks for it. :rolleyes:

Well done all. :smile:

I thought you had to describe the ways water travelled up the xylem in that question, so I talked about transpirational pull, capilliary action and root pressure.
yh u have to talk about cohesion-tension theory, adhesion of water molecules to xylem, root pressure, capillary action
Reply 24
For the yeast question did anoyone put something along the lines of the transporter/pump proteins denaturing at higher temperatures?
WBoy92
I thought you had to describe the ways water travelled up the xylem in that question, so I talked about transpirational pull, capilliary action and root pressure.

BIG BLOODY OOPS.

Was the question how does it travel up the roots and out through the leaves or how does it travel through the xylem and out through the leaves?

'Cause if it was root, I should get some credit because I talked about the active transport of minerals changing the water potential in the different layers of cells and thereby creating a transpiration movement across the entire root cortex..
Mainguy
For the yeast question did anoyone put something along the lines of the transporter/pump proteins denaturing at higher temperatures?

Yep, and that's correct, because the fact that they denature means they can't control what substances can pass through and what can't etc etc thereby increasing its fluidity/permeability :smile:
Reply 27
eesha_25
any answers on the methylene blue q...i pretty much the same answer for part b,c,and d. The high KE and the molecules moving faster and the membrane getting leaky!
also for the part a of that q...i put that 50% should be in the solution and 50% should be stained cells to be diffusion??

O M G...sameee! I had a similar answer to yours for all three
lool..I hope thats right..Plus they were pretty much asking the same question...
Reply 28
Marshmellow.
BIG BLOODY OOPS.

Was the question how does it travel up the roots and out through the leaves or how does it travel through the xylem and out through the leaves?

'Cause if it was root, I should get some credit because I talked about the active transport of minerals changing the water potential in the different layers of cells and thereby creating a transpiration movement across the entire root cortex..

I really cant remember, but Im hoping it was asking about the xylem so I get 5 marks :eek:
Im sure someone here knows what it was
Reply 29
emmaaa..
yep 75 bpm here too

same here ut i sort of guessed because i wasnt sure if you measure from P to T or P to P
WBoy92
I really cant remember, but Im hoping it was asking about the xylem so I get 5 marks :eek:
Im sure someone here knows what it was

FML.

I really shouldn't have been so leisurely.. I was literally swearing at myself in my head at full volume by the end of the paper.
Reply 31
Marshmellow.
BIG BLOODY OOPS.

i wrote about the root first and then read the question again, it said from roots to the leaves so hopefully that might include roots...
I mentioned:
- adhesion
- cohesion
- tension
- water potential
- pressure gradient.

I thought hey even if i dont know what the words mean i must get some marks for mentioning key words:wink:
Reply 32
How did u get 75 beats per min
Wasn't it 60/1.02 = 59?
Reply 33
Saphire1
same here ut i sort of guessed because i wasnt sure if you measure from P to T or P to P

you had to measure the time taken for a whole heart beat. which was 0.8 seconds
Reply 34
shuty
OMG!!! I hated every question on that paper, i think am gonna be retaking in jan, what do you think the grade boundaries will be like this time, cuz in jan it was like 40/60 for an A sooo hopefully itll be the same this time.

I hope so!
For that 5 marker question on how water goes from root to leaves I talked about symplast, apoplast, vacuolar, cohesion-tension theory, adhesion, hydrogen bonds, transpiration pull so you're all right really. The yeast questions were a bugger, I hated them and it's not even in the book :sad: I got the SEM and TEM completely wrong, hadn't the faintest idea what TEM was, just SEM.
And guys, stop worrying, I didn't even SEE the question on calculating the heart rate. So basically I've worked out that I've already lost 6 marks, that's 10%! Add on the others I truly didn't know instead of just careless mistakes and I'd be lucky to get an A. Hope boundaries are low and everyone else seriously ****ed up, it's a retake as well and I need that A!!!
Reply 36
toxik_apple
Add on the others I truly didn't know instead of just careless mistakes and I'd be lucky to get an A. Hope boundaries are low and everyone else seriously ****ed up, it's a retake as well and I need that A!!!

wow, can u read minds?:eek:

i hope the nexr exam is easier, its worth a lot more marks (something like 50% of AS)
Reply 37
Marshmellow.
BIG BLOODY OOPS.

yeah i swear the question asked you about the movement of water FROM the root TO the xylem? not water UP the xylem :|
Yay i had 75 too :biggrin:
I could have done better if I'd revised more :sad:

What did everyone have for the diagram one? About the process by which the roots take up water? or something.. And then the other question... i put apoplast twice cos i couldn't remember the other one. Then for the next 1 I put R.
Reply 39
Saphire1
i wrote about the root first and then read the question again, it said from roots to the leaves so hopefully that might include roots...
I mentioned:
- adhesion
- cohesion
- tension
- water potential
- pressure gradient.

I thought hey even if i dont know what the words mean i must get some marks for mentioning key words:wink:

- transpiration pull
- Casparian strip/ suberin
- apoplast --> symplast

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending