The Student Room Group

OCR F211 May 25th Biology

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
and endodermis was S, guard cell has a thicker inner wall to open stomata once turgid right?
cor898
What letter was the endodermis?
and how does water get into the root?
I just put diffusion :s-smilie:

i put Q and doesnt water move by osmosis? :/
Reply 62
hey i drew 3 separate single chromosoms..

i thought the paper was overall OK but i know i messed up on some stuff
i got the heart rate wrong completely,and i messed up the first couple of methelyene blue. I put that its evident its Active transport cos theres a concentration gradient because when the yeast cell was blue, surrounding cells are colourless...and when thhere was hardly any colour in the yeast cell...the surrounding cells were blue. so i went on about that...i think thats WRONG tbhh :/

also, microscope question was weirdd!. Btw, what did you guys put for the guard cell?? i put it has mitochondria to provide ATP for energy for movment to open and close stomata.....but everyone seems to have got a different answer to me ughh.
AND i forgot to write about casparian strip and appoplast pathwayss i just wrote about movement across the root, endodermis and cortex. and root pressure, capillary action + transpiration pull...

fingers crossed for low grade boundaries! if not ill just re-sit. but im guna try REALLY hard for F212
Reply 63
endodermis was S i think
Reply 64
Endodermis was the one with the casparian strip.
Reply 65
merrmerr
hey i drew 3 separate single chromosoms..

i thought the paper was overall OK but i know i messed up on some stuff
i got the heart rate wrong completely,and i messed up the first couple of methelyene blue. I put that its evident its Active transport cos theres a concentration gradient because when the yeast cell was blue, surrounding cells are colourless...and when thhere was hardly any colour in the yeast cell...the surrounding cells were blue. so i went on about that...i think thats WRONG tbhh :/

also, microscope question was weirdd!. Btw, what did you guys put for the guard cell?? i put it has mitochondria to provide ATP for energy for movment to open and close stomata.....but everyone seems to have got a different answer to me ughh.
AND i forgot to write about casparian strip and appoplast pathwayss i just wrote about movement across the root, endodermis and cortex. and root pressure, capillary action + transpiration pull...

fingers crossed for low grade boundaries! if not ill just re-sit. but im guna try REALLY hard for F212

gaurd cells have a thicker inner wall and a thinner outer wall so when it gets turgid, the cell membrane puts pressure on the cell wall and it curves inward (the thicker one doesnt curve as much) so it closes the stomata
Reply 66
seriously where was this guard cell question?
Reply 67
nth1992
gaurd cells have a thicker inner wall and a thinner outer wall so when it gets turgid, the cell membrane puts pressure on the cell wall and it curves inward (the thicker one doesnt curve as much) so it closes the stomata

OHH GREATT...this paper was sucha faillll
Reply 68
cor898
seriously where was this guard cell question?

It was a comparison between plant and animal cells, and then a bit about a guard cell.

And i think i put something to do with its a shape - forming a pore with an adjacent guard cell. Probably wrong. I seemed to remember thinking i had to mention something that was specifically shown on the diagram - but that might have referred to the differences between animal and plant cells on the question beforehand?
Reply 69
thepwince
It was a comparison between plant and animal cells, and then a bit about a guard cell.

Did you have to identify it as a guard cell then explain its role?
Reply 70
Ye i thought it was thought it was pretty good easier than last time (maybe thats cos i revised more) ye the guard cell qst there was a picture of one and it said explain the function of it using information from the picture .. ye just that yeast question was a bit weird thats more like unit 2 stuff ..
Reply 71
cor898
Did you have to identify it as a guard cell then explain its role?

you had to identify a 'feature' and then explain its importance to the guard cell's function. (i think)
Reply 72
thepwince
you had to identify a 'feature' and then explain its importance to the guard cell's function. (i think)

O gawd I was just speed answering and messed that up completely.
What an awful paper
the january one was so much easier
I did loads on the spirometer, lungs and proteins but none of it came up
Reply 73
one half (the right) on the guard cell had a thicker wall so i took it to be a cross section sideways where the thicker bit was the inner wall, and im pretty sure it opens when turgid cus its turgid in the light and open in the light...?
Reply 74
Mikkels88
one half (the right) on the guard cell had a thicker wall so i took it to be a cross section sideways where the thicker bit was the inner wall, and im pretty sure it opens when turgid cus its turgid in the light and open in the light...?

I looked at it as though the pointed right side was like the lip of the pore, and that there'd probably be another simetrically opposite forming the other edge. I wasn't confident about my answer at all though.

But yes, it definitely opens when turgid - remember that as it generally seems to go against common sense that it should open when the cell effectively seems to expand :tongue:
Reply 75
Mikkels88

Ye basically the inner wall is a lot thicker so the cytoplasm cant expand that way can only expand on the outer edge when water enters ( and it becomes turgid)
the expanding od the outer edge opens the stomata
For the xylem one I'm pretty sure it said 'Describe and explain how water travels UP THE XYLEM from the roots to the leaves' I read that question 10 times and underlined 'up the xylem' so I knew what they were asking exactly...it was only 5 marks so I'm pretty sure they only wanted you to describe one thing, either it going from the roots to the xylem, or how it goes up the xylem, it's too short a question to include both, so I just wrote about transpiration, adhesion, capillary action, root pressure, all that jazz...

Heart beats/min I got 75, for the guard cell I put the vacuole because of turgidity and stuff, for the SEM and TEM, I put generic stuff like 'External cellular and tissue arrangements' and 'Internal cell structures' Was I meant to put ACTUAL structures like the biconcave shape?! Oopsie-daisy... :P

Yeast cell question was fine, read in my revision guide about how it's nucleus divides in two so that the bud gains it's own nucleus...crazaay stuff :smile:

Methylene blue question was a load of crap...

Hopefully grade boundaries will be low...have faith! :biggrin:
Reply 77
lossy1234
Ye basically the inner wall is a lot thicker so the cytoplasm cant expand that way can only expand on the outer edge when water enters ( and it becomes turgid)
the expanding od the outer edge opens the stomata

Ah right yeah, i vaguely remember covering that in lessons on xerophytes :P
Calculating the average mark required for an A in this paper over the three that have gon before: 42.7 for an A. I'm thinking something similar for this one
Reply 79
For the guard cell i put it had a large vacuole with tonoplast so it could swell and open the stoma................. AHHHHHHHH i feel so **** after this.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending