The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
916-CALL-TURK
You add them up and divide by two ... :confused:

Noo, it's not like that.. It's like.. All the possible samples (organised by mean) are:
(10 10) Mean = 10
(10 20) (20 10) Mean = 15
(20 20) Mean = 20
(10 50) (50 10) Mean = 30
(20 50) (50 20) Mean = 35
(50 50) Mean = 50

And then you have to do something like.. multiply by the probability of getting them? Possibly? :s-smilie:
It's like.. Urrrrm.. Oh okay, who am I kidding, I have no idea! D:
Reply 81
Okay, ahh, lots of people being helpful :smile:
So is it like.. The probability of the mean being 10 is 0.25x0.25? = 0.0625
And then the probability of it being 15 is also 0.0625? Or do you have to times that by 2 because there are 2 ways to do it?
Jinxxeh
Noo, it's not like that.. It's like.. All the possible samples (organised by mean) are:
(10 10) Mean = 10
(20 20) Mean = 20
(50 50) Mean = 50

And then you have to do something like.. multiply by the probability of getting them? Possibly? :s-smilie:

You make a grid so its like:

x ------------------------------ 10--------------------------------------------15--------------------------------------20
P(X=x)----------------- P(getting two tens) ------------------- 2xP(one ten one twenty) ---------------P(getting two twenties)

etc
Jinxxeh
Can anyone help me with this question?

I can't work out part c, it's frustrating me! :frown:

The image is too big and i cba to resize, so jus click the link

http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/6466/img0024z.jpg
Reply 84
Ooooh, I think I've done it :P
x_________10_____15_____20_____30___35____50
P(X=x)__0.0625__0.125__0.0625__0.25__0.25__0.25

:woo:
Jinxxeh
(10 10) Mean = 10
(20 20) Mean = 20
(50 50) Mean = 50

Check the image, brah :biggrin:

And rotate your head 90 degrees clockwise ...

EDIT: JUST REALISED I PUT 20 INSTEAD OF 10 FML
Reply 86
916-CALL-TURK
The image is too big and i cba to resize, so jus click the link

http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/6466/img0024z.jpg

Haha, I've done it now but thank you very much anyway!
I was being kinda stupid haha :smile:

Now I must go and face the boredom that is revision of hypothesis testing because I've been avoiding it for the last few days :P
Jinxxeh
Haha, I've done it now but thank you very much anyway!
I was being kinda stupid haha :smile:

Now I must go and face the boredom that is revision of hypothesis testing because I've been avoiding it for the last few days :P

Haha, I've only just learnt it today :biggrin:

That said - I am quite sick at it :yep:
Reply 88
I hope they dont ask any tricky f***** up Qs.... other than that I'm ready! =D
Reply 89
Define unrestricted random sampling
simple random sampling
population papameter
uuuuuuuuurghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :frown:
too many definitions!!!!
Reply 90
anyone got a list of all the definitions?
Can someone clarify something for me please? It seems to be pretty hit and miss whether or not I get median questions wrong atm...
So I know you need to do F(m)=0.5, but if F(x) has got 2 or more definitions, which one do you use? Can you just try to solve them both separately, and if the answer you get is actually in the range it's defined for then that's the median?
If that makes sense.
:frown:
Reply 92
rachaelfowlie
Can someone clarify something for me please? It seems to be pretty hit and miss whether or not I get median questions wrong atm...
So I know you need to do F(m)=0.5, but if F(x) has got 2 or more definitions, which one do you use? Can you just try to solve them both separately, and if the answer you get is actually in the range it's defined for then that's the median?
If that makes sense.

The way I do it is substitute the upper limit for the first function, for F(x). If the value is greater than 0.5 then you use the first one, if the value is less than 0.5 than it must be in the second one.
Reply 93
rachaelfowlie
If that makes sense.

you have to see in which function the median(0.5) lies
uer23
The way I do it is substitute the upper limit for the first function, for F(x). If the value is greater than 0.5 then you use the first one, if the value is less than 0.5 than it must be in the second one.

What if the first function value IS 0.5?
I can't get an answer to this...
Reply 95
felt_monkey

Have you come across such an example before ? I haven't.

Well the limits are covered by less than/less than equal to/more than/more than equal to signs, if there's equal then it must lie in that function.
Reply 96
felt_monkey

What do you mean? Do you mean that the first F(x) = 0.5?
uer23
Have you come across such an example before ? I haven't.

Well the limits are covered by less than/less than equal to/more than/more than equal to signs, if there's equal then it must lie in that function.

Thanks. Well the one I've got now - one function of F(x) is 1/2 x^2 for 0&#8804;x<1 - I apparently use to get the median.
Reply 98
felt_monkey
Thanks. Well the one I've got now - one function of F(x) is 1/2 x^2 for 0&#8804;x<1 - I apparently use to get the median.

I think it's in the other one then because it says less than 1.
Reply 99
uer23
I think it's in the other one then because it says less than 1.

For cumulative ditribution functions it doesn't really matter, P(x<3) would just give you the same thing as p(x</=3)

Latest

Trending

Trending