The Student Room Group

Do I need maths in A' Levels?

I was wondering if I would need to take Maths in A' levels? I just recently finished my O'levels and I got a D grade in Maths :frown:

I want to study BBA and I have taken Business Studies, Economics and Accounting for my A's and my main concern is will universities actually consider taking me in without Maths in A levels. And if they do will they look at my O'level maths grade, because I know certain universities want a minimum C grade in O' levels if the student does not have Maths in their A' levels.

I am in serious dilemma here....I chose not to take maths because I am extremely weak at it, and I am very worried about my future :/
Some advice would be greatly appreciated by me.
Reply 1
Do not take maths alevel if you got a D at GCSE.

/thread.
Reply 2
shaysonic
I want to study BBA and I have taken Business Studies, Economics and Accounting for my A's and my main concern is will universities actually consider taking me in without Maths in A levels. And if they do will they look at my O'level maths grade, because I know certain universities want a minimum C grade in O' levels if the student does not have Maths in their Alevels.

if you have any idea which unis you want to look at then you could go onto their websites and look at their entry requirements, if that doesn't help you can always email the university and ask :smile:
Reply 3
By briefly scanning some of the unis entry requirements (which you should have looked at yourself), most require GCSE MAths to at LEAST a B or a C. None I looked at specified A-level Maths as a requirement.

I would like to point out that your combination of A-levels is explictly mentioned on Baths entry requirements as unlikely to be made an offer. And they do not allow both Accounting and Business Studies presumably as they are "soft" subjects and most unis only allow for one.

So you will have to redo your Maths, but you don't have to do the A-level. However, be aware some unis won't accept your combination of A-levels.
Reply 4
krisblade

So you will have to redo your Maths, but you don't have to do the A-level. However, be aware some unis won't accept your combination of A-levels.

Yes i second redoing the Maths O-Level and totally this.
Reply 5
I do not really plan to apply within the UK but thank you for your advice, but I was wondering if I get 90% and up in my chosen A' Level subjects would you think that universities might reconsider taking me? And which grades do universities in the USA look at mostly? The O'levels, A'Levels or SAT's grades ?
Reply 6
I am kinda worried that if I retake Maths I might not get a good grade :/
I am giving my AS this Jan and would have to give my maths then too and I think it would too much to juggle for me then. Any opinions?
that is a really horrible combination of a levels.
keep economics, and swap the other two. what you are doing afterwards is entirely irrelevant, what you have there is economics, and two watered down versions of economics.
Reply 8
I cant swap them for anything but chem, bio or physics. And I never even had those subjects for my O'levels :/ So I dont think swapping Business Studies and Accounting would be a smart move for me.

Also would be better if I give the resitting this jan or after I finish my A's - would it still be acceptable then?

Latest