The Student Room Group

General A level History help (OLD SPEC)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 200
Original post by Lil-rascal
Does anyone do AQA A-level History; the british empire breadth study and loss of the american colonies depth study?

I'm currently doing the British Empire for breadth, but the Cold War for depth.
Original post by SP98

finally! how is it going for you? what section are you on? I feel like its very different and difficult as there is such a large time span to cover and so the questions can literally be limitless, whereas, in the depth study you can prepare essay plans for the questions as there is a limited bank of questions for each section.
Reply 202
Original post by Lil-rascal
finally! how is it going for you? what section are you on? I feel like its very different and difficult as there is such a large time span to cover and so the questions can literally be limitless, whereas, in the depth study you can prepare essay plans for the questions as there is a limited bank of questions for each section.

In terms of content, I'm enjoying the British Empire more but I find there is no real structure to it. It seems as though we are sort of flying around different countries and different times and then bringing them together. However, I also find that it is easier to have a strong opinion on the British Empire, whilst on the Cold War, it's a little more complex...We're currently doing the British Empire and influential individuals. How are you finding the content? Did you do the Cold War or British Empire first?
I agree it is very scattered around, our class do 4 lessons of depth study and 2 lessons of breadth study each week but we replace the depth study lessons with coursework lessons after easter break. We are currently looking at trade and commerce between 1890-1914. I rather prefer the depth study though as it follows a timeline and so its much easier to understand
Im doing the british empire and the cold war
Original post by Anna1016
Im doing the british empire and the cold war

how you finding british empire?
Im enjoying doing the britsh empire and just finished the relations with the indigenous peoples today. Tomorrow im getting back my essay on the individuals. How about you?
Is anybody doing Britain Industrialisation 1783-1885 ?
and Democracy and Nazism :Germany, 1918-1945
Anyone have tips for a good aqa a2 history personal study? Im doing the civil rights significance of naacp question - thanks!
Reply 209
Is anyone else doing Edexcel A2 Unit 3 'Kaiser to Führer'? I was just wondering what others doing this exam think are the more likely topics to come up in Part A and Part B. To me, it seems like the Weimar Republic and the World War Two topic are more likely to appear, seeing as they were not in last years paper? For Part B surely Origins of the First World War will come up again this year, and then perhaps the Popularity of the Nazis. I will be revising all the topics, but it would be nice to get an idea of which topics to focus more on, especially because of the amount of stuff there is to remember!
Original post by Yenolom
Is anyone else doing Edexcel A2 Unit 3 'Kaiser to Führer'? I was just wondering what others doing this exam think are the more likely topics to come up in Part A and Part B. To me, it seems like the Weimar Republic and the World War Two topic are more likely to appear, seeing as they were not in last years paper? For Part B surely Origins of the First World War will come up again this year, and then perhaps the Popularity of the Nazis. I will be revising all the topics, but it would be nice to get an idea of which topics to focus more on, especially because of the amount of stuff there is to remember!

I am! In terms of the exam, my teacher has told us that the Wiemar Republic has a 90% chance of coming up, with World War Two has a 50% chance (if you look at the past questions/years they came up in)

How are you feeling about the course?
Reply 211
Original post by katiejardine
I am! In terms of the exam, my teacher has told us that the Wiemar Republic has a 90% chance of coming up, with World War Two has a 50% chance (if you look at the past questions/years they came up in)

How are you feeling about the course?

Yes that would make sense. This exam is probably the one I am most worried about at the moment, just because of the amount of stuff there is to remember as well as the fact that I still haven't completely got to grips with the exam technique (and in practice questions I always seem to run out of time!)
How are you finding it?
Original post by Yenolom
Yes that would make sense. This exam is probably the one I am most worried about at the moment, just because of the amount of stuff there is to remember as well as the fact that I still haven't completely got to grips with the exam technique (and in practice questions I always seem to run out of time!)
How are you finding it?

Definitely on the same boat as you in terms of just how much information we're expected to remember! In terms of timing I'm still not the great, I don't really feel confident with that but I'm sure (hoping) that will change! It's my first exam so I guess that's a good and a bad thing.

Need to get an A for my uni offer so that's just adding extra nerves! How did you find the coursework section?
Reply 213
Definitely on the same boat as you in terms of just how much information we're expected to remember! In terms of timing I'm still not the great, I don't really feel confident with that but I'm sure (hoping) that will change! It's my first exam so I guess that's a good and a bad thing.

Need to get an A for my uni offer so that's just adding extra nerves! How did you find the coursework section?

I'm glad the coursework is out the way now to be honest (getting it under the word count was a pain), although saying that I probably prefer coursework over exams, just because you can be a bit more sure of the grade you're going to get. I'm hoping to get a B in the coursework and then a B overall. Has your class finished going through the course yet?
Also what grade did you get at AS for history, and what uni are you hoping to go to, if you don't mind me asking?
Original post by Yenolom
I'm glad the coursework is out the way now to be honest (getting it under the word count was a pain), although saying that I probably prefer coursework over exams, just because you can be a bit more sure of the grade you're going to get. I'm hoping to get a B in the coursework and then a B overall. Has your class finished going through the course yet?
Also what grade did you get at AS for history, and what uni are you hoping to go to, if you don't mind me asking?

Definitely - I think I was 6 words under the total wordcount at the end of it! I prefer coursework knowing that you have control over your grade (due to being able to work on it over a period of time) but I hate the continued stress, whereas with exams once it's done, it's done!

We just finished before the holidays but I feel like we've rushed it all for some reason.

For AS I got an A. I've firmed Cambridge and put Warwick as my insurance - so I better get revising aha. How about you?

I'm hoping to get an A overall, although getting a B in the exam at this point would be a godsend but then maybe my coursework could pull it up.
Reply 215
Definitely - I think I was 6 words under the total wordcount at the end of it! I prefer coursework knowing that you have control over your grade (due to being able to work on it over a period of time) but I hate the continued stress, whereas with exams once it's done, it's done!

We just finished before the holidays but I feel like we've rushed it all for some reason.

For AS I got an A. I've firmed Cambridge and put Warwick as my insurance - so I better get revising aha. How about you?

I'm hoping to get an A overall, although getting a B in the exam at this point would be a godsend but then maybe my coursework could pull it up.

Yeah, that's true. Same for our class - I too wish we could have spent more time on certain topics (for some topics it felt like we just skimmed over them, where our teacher just asked us to make notes from the textbook), but I guess it leaves more time for revising the more important topics, as well as time to go over past paper questions.
I got a B at AS, so hopefully a good grade in the coursework and exam will give me a B overall - I'm hoping to go to Reading (fingers crossed), but if that fails then Sussex will be my insurance.
I hope you get the grade you want in history to be able to go to Cambridge! :smile:
Anyone here doing OCR History B debates on the Holocaust and know the questions yet?
Original post by SP98

Hi man I was wondering I'm taking history for GCSEs but I got some questions so can you or ANYONE answer my question on my account
Hi
I'm doing OCR AS level history and wondering if anyone has any predictions about what the 20 marker might be?
Original post by Lucy Stansfield
Hi
I'm doing OCR AS level history and wondering if anyone has any predictions about what the 20 marker might be?

It is the EARLY TUDORS (breadth)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending