The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Chicken
Reading is a good uni - got a good reputation for business I think. The town isn't too big, but there is plenty of bars and pubs in the town centre and its relatively safe (as long as you don't go near Yates'). Its also cheaper than London. THe uni has a nice students union (last time I was there they were refurbishing one of the bars). I think some of the halls have their own bars as well. THe uni has a nice spacious campus with a big lake and lots of greenery, so its quite nice in spring/summer. Can't think of anything else you might wanna know...

Thanks for the reply Chicken, i was furthermore, considering changing one of my uni options i.e. Essex to Cardiff... coz ive heard from various sources that it has a gr8 nightlife, social life and the business school has a good reputation too, what do u think of Cardiff?
Reply 21
lil_becky
Both, gr8 academic institution and social life... makes it balanced and perfect

what about cardiff? would you recommend cardiff uni and what's it like as a place? is it really different coz it's a welsh city as opposed to english?
Reply 22
lil_becky
Thanks for the reply Chicken, i was furthermore, considering changing one of my uni options i.e. Essex to Cardiff... coz ive heard from various sources that it has a gr8 nightlife, social life and the business school has a good reputation too, what do u think of Cardiff?

Cardiff is a great place - i have a friend there (but not at Cardiff uni - he's at UWIC which is also in Cardiff) and put it this way - he doesn't spend much time sober! Really good nightlife there and really cheap as well i think.
Reply 23
Chicken
Cardiff is a great place - i have a friend there (but not at Cardiff uni - he's at UWIC which is also in Cardiff) and put it this way - he doesn't spend much time sober! Really good nightlife there and really cheap as well i think.

Thanks Chicken can i ask you for a favour if u dont mind? can you get some info about Cardiff from your mate? what's the weather like, uni life, outings, people everythin basically....jus do it if u can otherwise nevermind...
Reply 24
lil_becky
Thanks Chicken can i ask you for a favour if u dont mind? can you get some info about Cardiff from your mate? what's the weather like, uni life, outings, people everythin basically....jus do it if u can otherwise nevermind...

It rains a lot as far as i know! He's already gone back so i won't speak to him for ages...i know he enjoys the nightlife a LOT (he's one of those people who will go out every night of the week of possible) - there are loads of bars, pubs and clubs that'll suit anyone's taste. I can't say much about the uni life cos the uni of Cardiff is not the same as UWIC (University of Wales Institute, Cardiff - where he goes) but Welsh people are generally quite friendly. The uni of Cardiff has a very good reputation though.
Reply 25
Hi Chicken. Long time no see.
Reply 26
Bhaal85
Hi Chicken. Long time no see.

Hey! Dunno how i've missed you - i'm on here everyday (yes i do have work to do!)...
Reply 27
Hmmm that bit of info u gave me chicken was quite helpful.. i am now leaning towards Cardiff/Reading/Surrey coz KCL/UMIST are almost out of my reach as I know I won't get high grades... damn.. choosin a Uni is so stressful!!
Reply 28
lil_becky
Hmmm that bit of info u gave me chicken was quite helpful.. i am now leaning towards Cardiff/Reading/Surrey coz KCL/UMIST are almost out of my reach as I know I won't get high grades... damn.. choosin a Uni is so stressful!!

What are your predicted grades from college, and what do you realistically think you will achieve?
Reply 29
top american university's

1. harvard
2. princeton
3. stanford
4. yale
5. all ivy leagues
6. rice
7. university of san diego

(these are in my opinion)
Reply 30
BCC or even worse perhaps...
Reply 31
Surely Yale is better than Stanford/Princeton?
Reply 32
gotta be UMIST.best by far if you want a good time.come and sample the manchester lads too
Chicken
HAD the best nightlife?! How exactly?! Its like a little corner of Wales and there os nothing for miles around it!

Oops, I mean has! It has 54 pubs in one square mile, half the population are students, it has the lowest crime rate in the UK so you don't feel threatened. It's brilliant! Especially if you don't like big noisy clubs and slezy men! You are guaranteed to see someone you know when you go out. I love it anyway
lil_becky

Cardiff is the second wetest city in Britain! It's a nice place though, but can be a bit rough
Reply 35
curryADD
top american university's

1. harvard
2. princeton
3. stanford
4. yale
5. all ivy leagues
6. rice

What about liberal arts colleges?
Reply 36
lil_becky

It doesn't rain that much...well...I've never lived anywhere else but I always assumed the weather here was typical British weather.Ah well.

The actual university is about five minutes away from the city centre on foot,so it's really convenient for an active social life.The Students Union hosts gigs and events such as the forthcoming NME Tour.I think I'll stop attempting to sound like a brochure now.

Basically,it's a really lovely city that would probably be my first choice if I didn't live here.It's important to me that I move away which is a shame,as it's a nice place to live.
Reply 37
curryADD
top american universities

1. harvard
2. princeton
3. stanford
4. yale
5. all ivy leagues
6. rice

Err.. Harvard, Princeton, and Yale are all Ivy League anyway... Or did you mean at no. 5 all others? Which are (for everyone else's benefit): Brown, Columbia, Cornell, Dartmouth, Stanford and Penn.
Reply 38
I got a Conditional from LSE for Management Sciences (BBB), it LSE any good for some course like management?
Reply 39
OldBailey
Err.. Harvard, Princeton, and Yale are all Ivy League anyway... Or did you mean at no. 5 all others? Which are (for everyone else's benefit): Brown, Columbia, Cornell, Dartmouth, Stanford and Penn.

Stanford is in California and is not in the Ivy League...

Latest

Trending

Trending