The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Read them out to an imaginary person in your room, this has helped me in the past to "parrot" revise. Or try making revision cards with questions about the important points, questions on one side, answers on the back.
Reply 2
B6ENH
Read them out to an imaginary person in your room, this has helped me in the past to "parrot" revise. Or try making revision cards with questions about the important points, questions on one side, answers on the back.

thanks man, good tips
Reply 3
Disastron
I've got my higher sociology exam tomorrow and have 6 essays I need to learn for then, don't see it happening well but it's worth a shot. Any tips on how to best carry out my intentions?
Any help will be appreciated gratefully :biggrin:
:eek3:

Focus on each essay at any one time:

read it over thoroughly approx. 5 times.

then write down key points withouth referring to the essay.

do that for each essay.

finally, read each essay again once. then look at the key points you previously have written down. then try to write a mini essay for each topic.

it worked for me (Politics exam) good luck!
SAME! :eek3: I haven't started revising yet, ridiculously tired. Was up til 1 last night, then woke up at 5, then worked all day from 8 and didn't get home til 7. I want sympathy!

But yeah, as for the essay thing. I'm basically going to try and memorise 3 essays (one for family, one for education and one for stratification), since the theories and intros are basically the same, then briefly remember the the 6 studies for family, 4 for education and 4 for strat. And the different aspects, but they're pretty self-explanatory. Lots of memorisation! I just want to go to bed, watch Come Dine With me, then Big Brother, then hop off to bed. But tomorrow at 11.40am, I'M FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.
Logging off of TSR would be a good start. :p:

Other than just reading over them, try...
- Reading the essays out loud.
- Re-writing them.
- Bullet pointing them (it's easier to digest information when it's in smaller chunks).
- Reading parts, covering them up and trying to recite them back.

Good luck though! :smile:
Reply 6
additionally, get some sleep!
Reply 7
Heather with the Weather
Logging off of TSR would be a good start. :p:

Other than just reading over them try...
- Reading the essays out loud.
- Re-writing them.
- Bullet pointing them (it's easier to digest informationin when it's in smaller chunks).
- Reading parts, covering them up and trying to recite them back.

Good luck though! :smile:

Haha but procratination is so much more fun, I found myself earlier researching procrastination as a form of procrastination. ugh i cant wait til this is over.

Thanks for your tips :biggrin:
Reply 8
J_Alom
Focus on each essay at any one time:

read it over thoroughly approx. 5 times.

then write down key points withouth referring to the essay.

do that for each essay.

finally, read each essay again once. then look at the key points you previously have written down. then try to write a mini essay for each topic.

it worked for me (Politics exam) good luck!

Thank you i'll follow these instructions to a tee.

I'm stressing out too much.
Disastron
Haha but procratination is so much more fun, I found myself earlier researching procrastination as a form of procrastination. ugh i cant wait til this is over.

Thanks for your tips :biggrin:

Is Sociology the last exam, it's really late? I'm sure you'll be fine though. :yep:
Reply 10
truthandtragedy
SAME! :eek3: I haven't started revising yet, ridiculously tired. Was up til 1 last night, then woke up at 5, then worked all day from 8 and didn't get home til 7. I want sympathy!

But yeah, as for the essay thing. I'm basically going to try and memorise 3 essays (one for family, one for education and one for stratification), since the theories and intros are basically the same, then briefly remember the the 6 studies for family, 4 for education and 4 for strat. And the different aspects, but they're pretty self-explanatory. Lots of memorisation! I just want to go to bed, watch Come Dine With me, then Big Brother, then hop off to bed. But tomorrow at 11.40am, I'M FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.

Awwww poor poor you, i'm giving you all my sympathy :P
I'm doing something similar, like class essays are really similar for me, only changing one study :cool: education i keep the intro and theories the same with diff studies, and for family i have two different essays. I'm leaving out differential achievement and class, and conjugal roles, cannot be ****** with them :P
x
Reply 11
eloise18
additionally, get some sleep!

I'll try but it doesn't look like a possibility, have to get up at half six to make it in to college for half 8 :P but will try my best. thanks :smile:
Reply 12
Spider diagrams for the main points!
Keep it to the bare minimum you HAVE to learn so it gets into your head better.

And also- what I do- just scrawl stuff messily (is that a word?!?) on a page... it helps me to write stuff down.

Unless these 6 essays are like 20 pages each then this is pretty do-able in one night :smile:
Reply 13
Leahcar
Spider diagrams for the main points!
Keep it to the bare minimum you HAVE to learn so it gets into your head better.

And also- what I do- just scrawl stuff messily (is that a word?!?) on a page... it helps me to write stuff down.

Unless these 6 essays are like 20 pages each then this is pretty do-able in one night :smile:

ah thank you, you're making it seem a lot more feasible right now :P
Reply 14
Heather with the Weather
Is Sociology the last exam, it's really late? I'm sure you'll be fine though. :yep:

yeah well it's the last for me anyway, been stressful with psychology on monday too, feel sorry for the ones who had psychology on monday, politics today and sociology tomorrow :P
Disastron
Awwww poor poor you, i'm giving you all my sympathy :P
I'm doing something similar, like class essays are really similar for me, only changing one study :cool: education i keep the intro and theories the same with diff studies, and for family i have two different essays. I'm leaving out differential achievement and class, and conjugal roles, cannot be ****** with them :P
x

Uh oh, what's differential achievement? It's a pretty safe bet that it'll be an education essay over a stratification one, isn't it? Stratification questions have come up for the last 2 years, education hasn't since 2007.. :rolleyes: Which is **** cause stratification is a hell of a lot easier, and I've barely learnt the education topic yet because I got lazy and my attendance got very very low after about March. :P:

I like conjugal roles, I'm trying to ignore marital breakdown. :P:
Reply 16
Disastron
ah thank you, you're making it seem a lot more feasible right now :P

You'll be schweet! I did every single exam like this and I've managed to do well enough :biggrin:
Some of my GCSEs were revision commencing the morning of the exam jobs :p: but A-levels were slightly more important and I started revision at most like 4 days before lol!

But don't listen to me. I am a waster! Revise for your other exams!!! lmao
Reply 17
Get off tsr and start reading
Read them out loud again and again :smile:
Lol I did sociology and was always in the same position as you.

Best thing to do is basically not memorise the essay as a whole, but split it up into paragraphs and know what each paragraph is talking about. So basically, if the essay has like 7 paragraphs just know what each paragraph is covering. Then when you've memorised the 7 topics, you can basically write out the essay in your own words, all you need to know is what the paragraph needs to be on and then you can blag the rest if you get what I'm saying?

Obviously every essay has intro and conclusion aswell.

Summary:

Memorise the paragraph topic/study
Write out rough essay to test yourself
Re-memorise
Write again
Move onto next essay.

This was my tactic for sociology essays the night before the exams and I did quite well so good luck

Latest

Trending

Trending