The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Anatheme
I still reckons it sounds more French than Spanish. :holmes:

I speak a fair bit of Portuguese, haha :ninja: It definitely sounds closer to Spanish than French. :colondollar:
Ladipidoo
I speak a fair bit of Portuguese, haha :ninja: It definitely sounds closer to Spanish than French. :colondollar:

Well yeah, but it's definitely not anything unlike Spanish or French. And there are still sounds that aren't in Spanish. Or at least, that's what my flatmate sounded like.
Reply 102
Personally, I don't think Portuguese is close to French or Spanish :/
Written, it looks like Spanish, but the sounds, while having nasal sounds similar to French, are different... There's this chchchch feeling to it than neither French nor Spanish have!
I'm talking about Portugal's language though, it's true Brasilian Portuguese sounds a lot like Spanish
starforsure
If you had a choice to learn either Italian or Portuguese, which one would you rather learn and why?

Italian :smile:
I'm learning Italian since my step-family is Italian and it's helping me to bond with them, so I guess I'm sort of biased :o:
Portuguese wouldn't appeal to me for some reason; I feel I (and most other people tbh) would have more chance of actually using Italian.
Italian. The language of loveeeeee. :tongue:
starforsure
If you had a choice to learn either Italian or Portuguese, which one would you rather learn and why?

I would pick Portuguese. I have spent a year and a half learning Italian and it was alright to pick up as the grammar and vocab is so similar to Spanish and I am applying to uni to study Spanish and Portuguese in September. I chose Portuguese instead of Italian because it is spoken more widely across the world and I wanted to start a language from scratch at uni.
:smile:
Reply 106
Italian - it's my degree :biggrin: It's an interesting language to learn actually, especially once you get out to Italy to live for a bit (I'm au pairing for the summer before my Erasmus year...Italian aaaaall the time!) and the culture is so rich and diverse and also dead interesting. I don't care that it's only really spoken in Italy (and bits of Switzerland) cos meh I like it.
Reply 107
Portuguese yo :P

I'm not biased at all...:smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending