The Student Room Group
University of Essex
University of Essex
Colchester
Visit website

UCAS Application

Hi Guys,
So I want to apply to Languages and Linguistics at University of Essex and I have all Cs and they need a BCC but I have a contextual offer like agreement thing. In the description of they said:
If Portuguese is taken as the major language, A Level pass (or equivalent) in Italian, French, Spanish or Portuguese or first language level fluency in Italian, French, Romanian or Spanish is required.

But I can speak my own foreign language and my family is also French so do I have to know the languages there to study the course instead of a basic understanding. I hope University of Essex can reply to this so I can understand this better!
Original post by mauufey
Hi Guys,
So I want to apply to Languages and Linguistics at University of Essex and I have all Cs and they need a BCC but I have a contextual offer like agreement thing. In the description of they said:
If Portuguese is taken as the major language, A Level pass (or equivalent) in Italian, French, Spanish or Portuguese or first language level fluency in Italian, French, Romanian or Spanish is required.

But I can speak my own foreign language and my family is also French so do I have to know the languages there to study the course instead of a basic understanding. I hope University of Essex can reply to this so I can understand this better!

Although they ask candidates for BBB grades (assuming they're not contextual candidates), the typical Modern Languages and Linguistics student at the University of Essex has BCC grades (source) which suggests that your CCC grades as a contextual candidate may well be acceptable.

As you will know from having read about the course, you choose two languages to study - one of which (the main language you study) you study to "mastery" level (their word). I have two questions. (1) Are you planning to choose Portuguese as this major language? (2) You say "I can speak my own foreign language", but without mentioning what that language is. Is it Italian, French, Romanian or Spanish? If the answer to (1) is Yes, then the answer to (2) should be Yes (or you should have studied the specified languages at A level). If the answer to (1) is No, then the answer to (2) doesn't matter.

Finally, you say "I hope University of Essex can reply to this". If you want a reply from the university, you should contact the university. Positing a message on TSR, in the general "Applications, Clearing and UCAS" forum, and just hoping the someone from University of Essex stumbles across it, isn't really the best approach.

(Once I post this reply, I'll move the thread into the University of Essex forum, which might help.)

Edited to add that other that for Portuguese, there is no specific requirement with respect to your level of knowledge of any particular non-English language. So the "basic understanding" you refer to should be fine.
(edited 3 months ago)
University of Essex
University of Essex
Colchester
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
Although they ask candidates for BBB grades (assuming they're not contextual candidates), the typical Modern Languages and Linguistics student at the University of Essex has BCC grades (source) which suggests that your CCC grades as a contextual candidate may well be acceptable.

As you will know from having read about the course, you choose two languages to study - one of which (the main language you study) you study to "mastery" level (their word). I have two questions. (1) Are you planning to choose Portuguese as this major language? (2) You say "I can speak my own foreign language", but without mentioning what that language is. Is it Italian, French, Romanian or Spanish? If the answer to (1) is Yes, then the answer to (2) should be Yes (or you should have studied the specified languages at A level). If the answer to (1) is No, then the answer to (2) doesn't matter.

Finally, you say "I hope University of Essex can reply to this". If you want a reply from the university, you should contact the university. Positing a message on TSR, in the general "Applications, Clearing and UCAS" forum, and just hoping the someone from University of Essex stumbles across it, isn't really the best approach.

(Once I post this reply, I'll move the thread into the University of Essex forum, which might help.)

Edited to add that other that for Portuguese, there is no specific requirement with respect to your level of knowledge of any particular non-English language. So the "basic understanding" you refer to should be fine.

Hi,
I planning to choose either French or Italian as my major language to chose with the course.
I’m own foreign language is Yoruba
I did French in Year 7 then I did Spanish from Year 8 to 9 and mostly in Spanish I use to get 8,9s all across
Original post by mauufey
Hi Guys,

Hi @mauufey !😀
Regarding your query is best if you contact the admissions team at the University of Essex via our online chat : Contact the University of Essex | University of Essex or via email:[email protected] or [email protected].
This is the best away for you the be sure about the requirements and the specifics they ask.
Let me know if this was helpful and good luck! 😉

Essex Official Rep- Cat

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending