The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
It's not accessible until after registration, because you need your ISS details and stuff
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Reply 2
really thats rubbish dont they give us a temporary one?
Reply 3
At James Baillie we have to pay £215 + £20 connction for the internet!! Dunno when it is available to use tho, as you pay when you get there...

Anybody know what speed it is? (Also, what is the speed of the Uni internet?)
Reply 4
i hope we get broadband, im used to all these luxuries at home :P hehe. I cant believe we hav to wait till registration to get online, im gonna b so bloody homesick, used to being on msn to my mates like 24/7 !!! hehe. ah well, im sure thre will b plenty to keep me busy till regi day!
Reply 5
oh :frown: same here, i want to speak to all my friends and stuff. blahhhh!
As far as I know (I asked someone at Clarence Dock) it's very fast. For the price you guys at James Baillie are paying, though, it should be as fast as it can get, that price is mental..
Reply 7
what are the registration dates again ? better not have to wait too long as i wont even have my tv licence by then no doubt, and no pc is just salt to the wounds! ..and they wonder why the youth of today is turning to alcohol, eeeeh i tell thee!
Reply 8
You'll probably have to wait at least 2-3 days before you can get on the internet; so make the best of the opportunity and go meet new people in your halls. It's so much easier at the very beginning of the term than it is later on.
It is a bit of a pain I know. Last year I was expecting to just plug in and be set up but twas not the case. No temporary connection either :p: It's only the first few days though, and you won't miss it because of all the hecticness. Trust me :smile:

I think registration is on the Tuesday, but that might just be my department.
Reply 10
Would be better than those in soem of the blocks of Leodis (F, i'm assured, H and J i presume.. and no doubt E and G too) which havent been set up yet for internet apparently.. was told by someone from ISS they're unsure of when block F will have internet.. I mean cud be a day, cud be a month...
Just done a phone number check for James Baillie - 2meg on BT, 8meg on Bulldog, and in March 2006, 24meg on Be!!

Who knows what speed the £235 will give us?!
Reply 12
What's ISS mean? And how long after registration is it connected?
did you not all get the email/letters explaining it all?

this website will also help
http://www.leeds.ac.uk/iss/issconnect/index.html

and IIRC the university internet is a "member" of

www.ja.net

email

Dear Resident

Welcome to the University of Leeds, you have received this email because you have requested accommodation within one of the University’s residences that offers a network connection, please take some time to read the following information as it will prove useful to you when connecting to the residence network.

If this email has been sent to you by mistake, please accept my apologies for any inconvenience caused.

The service differs from a broadband connection in that you are sharing a network with other residents, the bandwidth allocation is managed but this could cause problems if you have not secured your computer, please ensure you have the following before connection:

1. Up to date Anti-virus software installed.
2. You operating system has the latest security patches installed.
3. Your computer is protected with a strong password
4. You have installed a firewall

We provide all students with a support CD on arrival at Leeds that contains software to help you protect your computer including a copy of Mcafee Anti-virus, which you can use as part of the University’s site license while a student of the University. If you require any further assistance, the ISS helpdesk is on hand to provide advice and support.

As part of the registration process for the residence network, a self-help web page also contains software that you can download to help protect your computer.

In order to gain access to the network, you will require your ISS username and password. Your username will be given to you when you register and is recorded on your student card, you will then need to visit one of the University’s computer clusters on campus to get your password.

If you have any queries or concerns, please contact the ISS helpdesk on the details below or contact me on the email address below.

ISS Helpdesk

Level 10, Edward Boyle Library

Tel: 0113 343 3333

Email: [email protected]

Web page www.leeds.ac.uk/iss/helpdesk

May I take this opportunity to wish you an enjoyable stay with us in Leeds.

Simon Mulholland

Residential Network Coordinator

Information System Services

Email: [email protected]

Latest