The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Travel while studying with Open University

I am due to start into my second year of studies at the Open University in September, can I undergo my studies while on a 'working holiday visa' in Australia?
that's interesting what do u study? but i think it should be ok tbh
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 2
Original post by joannaf121
I am due to start into my second year of studies at the Open University in September, can I undergo my studies while on a 'working holiday visa' in Australia?

Sure! I did a lot of my degree while living in China for months at a time. I never said anything to them about it and just carried on as normal. I did attend some online tutorials at about 3am though haha!

There are two things to consider - (1) Will the OU be happy with this; and (2) Will doing this be compliant with the terms of your visa.

Your study might be a breach of the conditions of your visa: see https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visas/already-have-a-visa/check-visa-details-and-conditions/see-your-visa-conditions?product=417-A# (specifically "8548 - Maximum 4 months study"). Now that section does say "You can do work-based training and correspondence courses that you could take outside Australia. These don’t count towards the 4 months study or training." and you could probably claim that an OU course counts as "correspondance courses".
Original post by martin7
There are two things to consider - (1) Will the OU be happy with this; and (2) Will doing this be compliant with the terms of your visa.

Your study might be a breach of the conditions of your visa: see https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visas/already-have-a-visa/check-visa-details-and-conditions/see-your-visa-conditions?product=417-A# (specifically "8548 - Maximum 4 months study"). Now that section does say "You can do work-based training and correspondence courses that you could take outside Australia. These don’t count towards the 4 months study or training." and you could probably claim that an OU course counts as "correspondance courses".

Hmm, how exactly would this be a breach, if the uni isn't Australian? I think it only applies to Australian education.

Hey! I'm also planning to do the same. Just started with the OU, studying PPE. Thinking about going on a working holiday for a year/3 years and combining it with a part-time (maybe even full-time, if it would be possible, maybe in between jobs or something) study.
Something to think about is that you will need internet access. If you're travelling to remote areas, internet access might be an issue. OU does also send some module material through the post, but most should also be available online.

Apart from th above, the OU is perfect for studying while travelling.
Reply 7
thinking of doing the same. glad someone else is. how did it go
Im also thinking of doing this🙂
Maybe see a bit of Asia too.
If anyone has any tips/advice it would be much appreciated!
Reply 9
Just bear in mind that if you plan to fund your studies via a student loan your residence may affect this, so best to double check. I remember them asking where I was "normally resident".

Quick Reply

Latest