The Student Room Group

mobile phone contracts - international student in the uk

does anyone have any experience with signing up for a pay monthly contract (for example, 18 or 24 months) as an international student in the uk?

i have been browsing from this side of the pond and i'd probably like to sign up with either orange or t-mobile when i arrive in leeds. however, i have heard from two friends that they were unable to attain pay monthly contracts from orange and were forced to purchase pay-as-you-go plans (phone and monthly fee more expensive). they were international students as well and apparently they won't allow you to get a pay monthly plan without being able to check your credit rating, which an international student wouldn't have.

from what i read on the orange website, i only need proof of address (which i have in the uk, and can also offer statements of cell phone bills from canada) as well as a bank account, which i'll also have.

can anyone share their experience? i would appreciate it very much!

EDIT BY COMMUNITY TEAM

If you don't have a UK address or credit history Giffgaff are a good option. They have monthly rolling phone options that don't require a credit history or anything: https://www.giffgaff.com/

If you do have a UK address, try https://www.affordablemobiles.co.uk/ as they seem to be a little more lenient on credit and have some decent mobile phone deals.
(edited 5 years ago)
calvin.
does anyone have any experience with signing up for a pay monthly contract (for example, 18 or 24 months) as an international student in the uk?

i have been browsing from this side of the pond and i'd probably like to sign up with either orange or t-mobile when i arrive in leeds. however, i have heard from two friends that they were unable to attain pay monthly contracts from orange and were forced to purchase pay-as-you-go plans (phone and monthly fee more expensive). they were international students as well and apparently they won't allow you to get a pay monthly plan without being able to check your credit rating, which an international student wouldn't have.

from what i read on the orange website, i only need proof of address (which i have in the uk, and can also offer statements of cell phone bills from canada) as well as a bank account, which i'll also have.

can anyone share their experience? i would appreciate it very much!

I had the same info ready when I went and basically unless you've got 3 years of credit history in the UK, they won't let you buy a pay monthly contract. And they won't just take phone bills, they'll want residence history in the UK + details of former landlords etc.

There's no harm in trying to use your Canadian credit history (probably won't accept it cause you still haven't lived in the UK for the past 3 years) but if you do somehow manage to bluff your way into it, I should also warn you that most operators will also note that you're not a UK citizen and so charge you a £100 deposit, and then when you tell them that you wanna make international calls with your phone they'll charge you a further £100 deposit. All of this in addition to your sign up fee/monthly payments so it may actually work out better to go for a pay as you go, especially if you're just here for 3-4 years.

EDIT: don't know what your friends did but you don't pay a monthly fee for pay as you go contracts, you just get the sim card (and a phone if you don't already have one) and then you only have to put as much credit into the phone as you use. Also, if you do go for it, don't mention the fact that you're not a UK passport holder and they might not realize and forget to charge you the first £100 deposit! :P
Couldn't you arrange something with a Canadian carrier such as Rogers? If I remember correctly O2 sims will connect through them in Canada, and it might be a similar situation the other way too.
I switched form pay-as-you-go to a monthly contract (O2) this January. At that point I'd been studying in the UK for 2 and a half years. But the only thing they were interested in at the shop was to check my credit history by using my bank account details (my UK account, that is, which I've had for the whole period of my study). I didn't have to provide them with proof of my address or anything. I'm from the EU though, but I doubt that'd make much difference since they weren't interested in where I came from. Also, a friend of mine got a contact already during his second year of study, and he's not a UK student either.

If they won't let you have a contract right away because you won't have credit history as you'll only have had your British bank account for days, then maybe just get pay-as-you-go and switch to contract in a year or so.

Edit: just realised it could be different if you're planning on getting a phone with the sim card as well. I just bought the sim card for a phone I already had and so am not paying for a phone while paying for using it as well. Don't know if it makes any difference.
You'll find it easier to get a sim-only monthly contract than an 18-24 month contract (presumably thats what your friends have if they are paying a monthly fee?).
Reply 5
thanks for the insight, everyone. i looked at the orange pay-as-you-go options and they aren't half bad. i'll likely just bring my blackberry world edition over and get a new SIM card.
Ah this is stressing me out - I didn't even think about what getting a mobile in London would entail! Callum9999, you mention the monthly fee contracts; do you need to buy a phone or can you just buy the sim? I definitely don't want pay-as-you go if I can avoid it, so this option sounds promising.

Anyone have experience with Three (3) Mobile? It seems they offer Skype service, which would be extremely helpful when calling home.
Reply 7
hudsonriver
Ah this is stressing me out - I didn't even think about what getting a mobile in London would entail! Callum9999, you mention the monthly fee contracts; do you need to buy a phone or can you just buy the sim? I definitely don't want pay-as-you go if I can avoid it, so this option sounds promising.

haha, i hear you about stressing out... seems everyday there is something new to think about when relocating!

from what i've researched (3, O2, orange, t-mobile, vodafone) you either get a pay-monthly plan which usually gives you a free or heavily discounted phone (this doesn't seem to be an available option for us), or you get a new SIM card and put it in your existing or new phone. after getting the SIM card, you can do pay-monthly (again, not an option for us) or pay-as-you-go.

long story short i think your cheapest (and only) option is getting a new SIM (costs only a pound) and using your existing phone on a pay-as-you-go service. i didn't look too much into 3, but with orange 10 pounds a month will get you 50 minutes, 300 texts, unlimited internet, and 3 numbers which you can call/receive from basically for free.
calvin.
haha, i hear you about stressing out... seems everyday there is something new to think about when relocating!

from what i've researched (3, O2, orange, t-mobile, vodafone) you either get a pay-monthly plan which usually gives you a free or heavily discounted phone (this doesn't seem to be an available option for us), or you get a new SIM card and put it in your existing or new phone. after getting the SIM card, you can do pay-monthly (again, not an option for us) or pay-as-you-go.

long story short i think your cheapest (and only) option is getting a new SIM (costs only a pound) and using your existing phone on a pay-as-you-go service. i didn't look too much into 3, but with orange 10 pounds a month will get you 50 minutes, 300 texts, unlimited internet, and 3 numbers which you can call/receive from basically for free.

Thank you so much! This is endlessly helpful. A bit difficult to accept, however, as my pay-as-you-go phone that I used on trips to London ran out so quickly before I had to top up! Not looking forward to that...

Are you going to go with Orange? I'm still tempted by 3 because of the Skype offer - it's free to use Skype-to-Skype and if you have a Skype account, you can put money in it and dial any land line or cell in the world at no charge from 3. It's helpful because you can top up your account in CAD or USD if you want, as the North American site can still be accessed from the UK. Do let me know what you end up picking! I won't be there until mid-September, so I suppose I have time to figure these things out...
Reply 9
hudsonriver
Thank you so much! This is endlessly helpful. A bit difficult to accept, however, as my pay-as-you-go phone that I used on trips to London ran out so quickly before I had to top up! Not looking forward to that...

Are you going to go with Orange? I'm still tempted by 3 because of the Skype offer - it's free to use Skype-to-Skype and if you have a Skype account, you can put money in it and dial any land line or cell in the world at no charge from 3. It's helpful because you can top up your account in CAD or USD if you want, as the North American site can still be accessed from the UK. Do let me know what you end up picking! I won't be there until mid-September, so I suppose I have time to figure these things out...

as i mentioned, the 10 pounds on orange ("dolphin 10", if anyone is wondering) gets you the equivalent of 50 minutes (20 pence per minute), and also includes 300 texts and free internet. texts are 10 pence but only if you use over the 300 texts.

biggest reason i'm going with orange is because of the "magic numbers" - you get to designate three UK numbers (must be on orange) and each hour of calling with those numbers only charges you one minute. this is big because i'll be in leeds and my girlfriend in birmingham. pretty much 50 minutes becomes the equivalent of 3,000 minutes (i expect a minimal amount of incoming calls from friends... i'll tell them just to text me or use blackberry messenger, or just not answer haha).

i found that this pay-as-you-go scheme was the best budget deal offered by any of the major companies. it's not too far off the value of a pay monthly. i do remember seeing the skype offering on 3. if it works for you, by all means you should do that. i don't use skype that much but i can see how it would be very useful for someone that did. also there are obviously better plans if you're willing to pay more, but i'm trying not to!

i'll be there in mid-september as well. are you going to school in london?
hudsonriver

Anyone have experience with Three (3) Mobile? It seems they offer Skype service, which would be extremely helpful when calling home.

With the contract you just get given a sim card - you can then buy a PAYG phone and put it in there, or in your own mobile if you already have one that works in Europe.

I don't really know which is cheapest at the moment - but if you are wanting to call home with skype 3 would be your best option as its completely free to call another skype mobile or computer - you're not even charged for data. I just had a quick look at their website and on PAYG for 10 pounds you get 600 free texts (if you top up online - 300 if you don't) and free calls to other 3 mobiles plus some free internet - as well as the ten pound credit. That will probably be your best option (higher top up amounts give you more free texts).
Reply 11
calvin.
as i mentioned, the 10 pounds on orange ("dolphin 10", if anyone is wondering) gets you the equivalent of 50 minutes (20 pence per minute), and also includes 300 texts and free internet. texts are 10 pence but only if you use over the 300 texts.

biggest reason i'm going with orange is because of the "magic numbers" - you get to designate three UK numbers (must be on orange) and each hour of calling with those numbers only charges you one minute. this is big because i'll be in leeds and my girlfriend in birmingham. pretty much 50 minutes becomes the equivalent of 3,000 minutes (i expect a minimal amount of incoming calls from friends... i'll tell them just to text me or use blackberry messenger, or just not answer haha).

i found that this pay-as-you-go scheme was the best budget deal offered by any of the major companies. it's not too far off the value of a pay monthly. i do remember seeing the skype offering on 3. if it works for you, by all means you should do that. i don't use skype that much but i can see how it would be very useful for someone that did. also there are obviously better plans if you're willing to pay more, but i'm trying not to!

i'll be there in mid-september as well. are you going to school in london?

Why wouldn't you accept incoming calls ? You know the UK isn't like the US where you're charged for receiving.
Reply 12
wes
Why wouldn't you accept incoming calls ? You know the UK isn't like the US where you're charged for receiving.

Yeah, from my brief look at some of the Canadian networks this is what disgusts me about getting a mobile in Canada... you are charged to receive texts and calls :zomg:

hudsonriver

I don't know about the experience of others with 3, but generally I would tend to avoid them. Stick to one of the other main mobile providers, Orange, O2, Vodafone, T-mobile
Reply 13
wes

wow, are you serious? i am actually from canada, but our minutes are charged for both incoming and outgoing. weird how i didn't see this on their websites, but i guess if it's a standard in the UK they wouldn't have in plastered everywhere.

thank you for this info. probably the best and most practical news i have received on this forum. can anyone corroborate this, or send me to a website which explains this clearly?
Reply 14
calvin.
wow, are you serious? i am actually from canada, but our minutes are charged for both incoming and outgoing. weird how i didn't see this on their websites, but i guess if it's a standard in the UK they wouldn't have in plastered everywhere.

thank you for this info. probably the best and most practical news i have received on this forum. can anyone corroborate this, or send me to a website which explains this clearly?

To be honest, I think pretty much any European would find the concept of paying for incoming calls very strange. It just isn't in our systems, to the point that we'd never even ask the question.
Reply 15
wes
To be honest, I think pretty much any European would find the concept of paying for incoming calls very strange. It just isn't in our systems, to the point that we'd never even ask the question.

thanks, just got a friend in the uk to confirm this. this is very good news for me! however, do you get charged for incoming calls coming from outside of the uk?
Reply 16
calvin.
thanks, just got a friend in the uk to confirm this. this is very good news for me! however, do you get charged for incoming calls coming from outside of the uk?

Nope. You'll get charged to receive calls if you are outside the UK though - roaming charges.

Latest