The Student Room Group

Tenure system does not protect academic freedom but encourage disability discriminati

Tenure system literally guarantees the near impossibility of professors getting fired for disability discrimination, the same reason the problem is extremely serious in research labs and stories of disabled research students getting bullied out of their course with lifelong havoc on their health and career never stop.

Internal complaints procedures are nothing but a token since those administrators are often appointed by those tenured ableist professors themselves and they would never go against their university.

Do you agree?
What do you mean by “tenure system”
No I don't agree with these drastic generalisations.
Original post by Anonymous
Tenure system literally guarantees the near impossibility of professors getting fired for disability discrimination, the same reason the problem is extremely serious in research labs and stories of disabled research students getting bullied out of their course with lifelong havoc on their health and career never stop.

Internal complaints procedures are nothing but a token since those administrators are often appointed by those tenured ableist professors themselves and they would never go against their university.

Do you agree?

Nope, not at all.
Original post by Anonymous

Do you agree?

There have not been any tenured academic positions in UK universities for decades, what are you on about ?
Original post by Mr Wednesday
There have not been any tenured academic positions in UK universities for decades, what are you on about ?

Only perhaps technically true. Academic and Academic-related contracts at Cambridge are effectively tenure, ie permanent,
Reply 6
Original post by threeportdrift
Only perhaps technically true. Academic and Academic-related contracts at Cambridge are effectively tenure, ie permanent,

Yes, but there are significant differences between a 'permanent' contract and tenure in, eg, the US. The vast, vast majority of UK academic contracts are only permanent as long as you meet their criteria, viz. publishing x amount if times in x-ranked journals per academic year and so on. Then there are the usual requirements in terms of the law and discrimination etc.

I'm on a permanent academic contract and it offers nowhere near the protections afforded under tenure in, for example, the US. I am basically afforded the same protection as I was when I worked down the Docks.

If a permanent contract academic was found to be discriminating contrary to the law where I work, they'd lose their job. This is clearly not the state of affairs described by the OP.

As an aside, academic staff generally do not appoint administrators. HR does.
(edited 8 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending