The Student Room Group

Accomodation for Oversea Students

Hello,

I will be a postgraduate student in the UK, and I have been looking for private accommodation for a family on letting platforms. Whenever I like a place and contact the landlords or agents, they tell me that I should see the place in person. As an overseas student, arranging a viewing without being in the UK is impossible. How can I overcome this issue and arrange a place for my family without traveling to the UK? Any advice?

Thanks in advance
Original post by Oguzhanser
Hello,

I will be a postgraduate student in the UK, and I have been looking for private accommodation for a family on letting platforms. Whenever I like a place and contact the landlords or agents, they tell me that I should see the place in person. As an overseas student, arranging a viewing without being in the UK is impossible. How can I overcome this issue and arrange a place for my family without traveling to the UK? Any advice?

Thanks in advance

Hi there,
It is ideal to see your accommodation in person where possible, however you are right that this is difficult to do as an international student. Accommodation providers and agents should be able to offer an alternative. This could be anything from a pre-recorded tour to detailed photos or a viewing over Skype/WhatsApp so that you can see where you would be living (or at least somewhere similar). I would recommend getting in touch with them and explaining you cannot visit in person but would like to see the accommodation in another way before signing a contract and see what they say.

Hope this helps!

- Sophie
Reply 2
Original post by StudentRoost Rep
Hi there,
It is ideal to see your accommodation in person where possible, however you are right that this is difficult to do as an international student. Accommodation providers and agents should be able to offer an alternative. This could be anything from a pre-recorded tour to detailed photos or a viewing over Skype/WhatsApp so that you can see where you would be living (or at least somewhere similar). I would recommend getting in touch with them and explaining you cannot visit in person but would like to see the accommodation in another way before signing a contract and see what they say.

Hope this helps!

- Sophie

Hi Sophie. Thanks for your advice.

I wonder if any letting agents can work for me. I mean, Can I ask them to see places and/or sign a contract on my behalf? Because in my country, real estate agents work like that.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending