The Student Room Group

I'm sooooooo lost

Hi I have a question about ucas application. I'm lost because I'm an international student and this is my first time to apply for uni in the uk.. It says I can apply for 5 universities this year.
1. Does that mean even I get rejected from few of them, I still have 5 chances to apply for 2024?

2. if I apply directly through uni website, I can apply more than 5 uni?

just basically, I want to apply for uni more than 5 chances.
No your 5 choices include rejections. You can only change an option within 14 days of Ucas receiving your application.

It is sensible to apply to a range of universities to avoid 5 rejections. If you apply to 5 very competitive universities you might well end up with 5 rejections as some do each year
Original post by teaaa
Hi I have a question about ucas application. I'm lost because I'm an international student and this is my first time to apply for uni in the uk.. It says I can apply for 5 universities this year.
1. Does that mean even I get rejected from few of them, I still have 5 chances to apply for 2024?

Why do you want to apply to more than 5 choices? You can only study at 1 choice.
Original post by PQ
Why do you want to apply to more than 5 choices? You can only study at 1 choice.

True. But I want to practice interview before I apply to uni that I really want to study at.
Original post by swanseajack1
No your 5 choices include rejections. You can only change an option within 14 days of Ucas receiving your application.

It is sensible to apply to a range of universities to avoid 5 rejections. If you apply to 5 very competitive universities you might well end up with 5 rejections as some do each year

okay thank you👍🫶 If I got an offer from direct apply and reject it, would I still have 5 chances to apply through UCAS?
Original post by teaaa
True. But I want to practice interview before I apply to uni that I really want to study at.

Most universities and courses don’t interview. What are you hoping to apply for?
Original post by teaaa
okay thank you👍🫶 If I got an offer from direct apply and reject it, would I still have 5 chances to apply through UCAS?

Most universities wont accept applications direct if you are applying through ucas. Their contract with ucas doesnt allow that. Buckingham will as they are an independent university that doesnt use ucas. Most universities dont interview other than for medical or teaching courses. Oxford and Cambridge doubt there arent many others. The numbers applying dont allow for interviews.
Reply 7
Original post by teaaa

I read that if you apply to a university directly and get an offer, it will still go through UCAS at the final stage as it is the central system for all undergraduate programmes. If you already have other offers on UCAS, it will result in UCAS cancelling all your offers, both on and off UCAS. You should always apply for undergraduate UK programmes on UCAS only.
Original post by swanseajack1
Most universities wont accept applications direct if you are applying through ucas. Their contract with ucas doesnt allow that. Buckingham will as they are an independent university that doesnt use ucas. Most universities dont interview other than for medical or teaching courses. Oxford and Cambridge doubt there arent many others. The numbers applying dont allow for interviews.

thank you for the reply. I didn't know that really🥲
Original post by PQ
Most universities and courses don’t interview. What are you hoping to apply for?

for dentistry they have interview unfortunately..
Original post by blluefish
I read that if you apply to a university directly and get an offer, it will still go through UCAS at the final stage as it is the central system for all undergraduate programmes. If you already have other offers on UCAS, it will result in UCAS cancelling all your offers, both on and off UCAS. You should always apply for undergraduate UK programmes on UCAS only.

thank you for reply I didn't know the uk application system🤦.... I'd better apply to uni where I'll go
Original post by teaaa
for dentistry they have interview unfortunately..

Applications for dentistry 2024 closed last October.
Original post by teaaa

Hey there,

I am an international student myself, so I understand the struggle 🙂

Usually, international students are not expected to apply through UCAS as they are expected to apply to universities directly (e.g. through online website application, or emailing admissions team). Universities usually have instructions for international applicants on their websites, here is an example from our website: https://www.dmu.ac.uk/study/applying/international.aspx

Please, let me know if you have any questions :smile:

Ilya
(edited 3 months ago)
Original post by De Montfort University
Hey there,

I am an international student myself, so I understand the struggle 🙂

Usually, international students are not expected to apply through UCAS as they are expected to apply to universities directly (e.g. through online website application, or emailing admissions team). Universities usually have instructions for international applicants on their websites, here is an example from our website: https://www.dmu.ac.uk/study/applying/international.aspx

Please, let me know if you have any questions :smile:

Ilya

Hi Ilya

I'm not sure why you think international students don't apply through UCAS. It's actually part of DMU's contract with UCAS that ALL full time undergraduate degree applications MUST go through UCAS (either initially or later on as an RPA). If DMU are bypassing that then they're risking breaching their contract with UCAS and under-paying their capitation fees (at £33.80 per placed student).

https://www.ucas.com/node/616#your-obligations-as-a-customer
UCAS
Your obligations as a customer

To take full advantage of the benefits of working with us, there is the expectation UCAS providers will:
adhere to the UCAS Applications Recruitment Policy recruiting exclusively through UCAS for all full-time programmes of study culminating in an academic award at first degree or other undergraduate level

It looks like the website that you've linked to is breaking UCAS Business Rule number 1 - you might want to let your marketing/web team know before someone notifies [email protected]
UCAS Business Rules
1 In order to provide a fair, transparent and comprehensive process for applicants and the sector, UCAS expects customers to list and recruit all eligible full-time undergraduate applicants through UCAS, identifying UCAS as the main application route on their website and in any marketing materials.
(edited 3 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending