The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

addylad
lfc.tv and SSN

Edit: ahh poo, second as per usual :frown:

Im meant to be revising, which means lots of procrastination :o:
Fiorentina are not quite ready to draw a line under their move for Liverpool's Emiliano Insua despite new complications having arisen due to the player's wage demands.

On Friday La Gazzetta dello Sport claimed Liverpool and Fiorentina had agreed a €5 million deal for the Argentinian.

That was followed by Pantaleo Corvino claiming his club were "on the right track" in relation to concluding the deal.

However, the Viola sporting director has now back-tracked on his previous statements as new questions come to the fore.

"We have an agreement with the English club, but we have to find an understanding with the player in terms of wages," he told Quotidianopuglia.it.

"We cannot guarantee him the figures that he gets at Liverpool."

Earlier, midfielder Stevan Jovetic claimed he was looking towards a "bright future" with Fiorentina, and Corvino underlined he is not for sale.

"I have already rejected €30m for Jovetic."

Reports suggest that offer came from Real Madrid, but Barcelona have also been linked with the Montenegrin.

I'd be pleased if it fell through!
sarforaz
Im meant to be revising, which means lots of procrastination :o:

Haha, I find having SSN on in the background helps instead of me pressing F5 on lfc.tv every few minutes. :smile:

Also, I'd like to hear Torres actually come out and say he wants to stay, instead of saying nothing and letting people question it. He's the only guy that can actually reassure me he's staying. :/
addylad
Haha, I find having SSN on in the background helps instead of me pressing F5 on lfc.tv every few minutes. :smile:

Also, I'd like to hear Torres actually come out and say he wants to stay, instead of saying nothing and letting people question it. He's the only guy that can actually reassure me he's staying. :/

Well if he's told Roy he's going to stay for next season, that's good enough for me (for now).
Let the poor guy enjoy his holiday, come Monday he'll be telling everyone he's staying and there was never an issue of leaving :p:

*sigh* I'd love it if Torres could last a season without being injured.
addylad

Nothing will probably be said from him until he's back on Monday.
Reply 385
I won't believe it until I see direct quotes from Torres.
sarforaz
Well if he's told Roy he's going to stay for next season, that's good enough for me (for now).
Let the poor guy enjoy his holiday, come Monday he'll be telling everyone he's staying and there was never an issue of leaving :p:

*sigh* I'd love it if Torres could last a season without being injured.

I suppose! Roy seems to have done a good job so far, handling all the chaos from the WC. He also said that Aquaman should be available for Thurs, having ran on Sat. :woo:

Ahh yes, the fact that he only plays about 20 games a season doesn't seem to have affected his value. I was immensely annoyed that Spain are hell-bent on injuring him by playing him in as many games as possible.
addylad
I suppose! Roy seems to have done a good job so far, handling all the chaos from the WC. He also said that Aquaman should be available for Thurs, having ran on Sat. :woo:

Ahh yes, the fact that he only plays about 20 games a season doesn't seem to have affected his value. I was immensely annoyed that Spain are hell-bent on injuring him by playing him in as many games as possible.

Well another season or 2 and then people will assume he's a crock. I think its just assumed to be bad luck and too many games over the last 2 years.

Im still a bit indifferent about Roy. He's come in and seems to have little to no influence over players (leaving it to Purslow), which worries me. Now more than ever, we needed a strong manager to unite the fans and players against the management and owners. Dont think Roy is ever going to be that guy unfortunately.
Reply 388
If Torres goes this season without any major injury setbacks, IMO he'd finish top goalscorer in the Premier League. If Torres stays I will be so happy.
I feel sorry for torres he's stuck

Teams available to torres

Barca - there is no room left in barca for forwards currently
Man Utd - would never happen for obvious reasons
Inter - Possible, old manager works their - I see no reason not for this transfer except for inters current forwards
Real Madrid - for obvious reasons this would not happen
Chelsea - I actually don't think torres is interested in a move to chelsea at all, just media nonsense.

I think torres is stuck at Liverpool by default, but it's his own fault, nobody to blame but himself! (OK and rafa..)
Respect4Acting
I feel sorry for torres he's stuck

Teams available to torres

Barca - there is no room left in barca for forwards currently
Man Utd - would never happen for obvious reasons
Inter - Possible, old manager works their - I see no reason not for this transfer except for inters current forwards
Real Madrid - for obvious reasons this would not happen
Chelsea - I actually don't think torres is interested in a move to chelsea at all, just media nonsense.

I think torres is stuck at Liverpool by default, but it's his own fault, nobody to blame but himself! (OK and rafa..)

I get the feeling, if money wasnt a factor, then Barca would swap Torres for Ibra in a heart beat.
Alonso showed that if a player really wants to move, they arent as affected by moving. He's Basque so should hate Real Madrid but still moved.
You missed out Man City on that list, who have shown a keen interest.

Torres has chosen to stay, dont worry about him :wink:
Reply 391
sarforaz
I'd be pleased if it fell through!

Same here, Insua a decent player and good going forward. I'd keep im for the screamer against Arsenal alone :p:
Barça
No, this will go on til the transfer deadline. Cesc is supposed to return from his holiday and have a meeting with Wenger on Friday to apparently force a move. Rosell went to London to meet with Wenger and Arsene seems to want money plus a canterano. We lost Toure and if we get in two midfielders that just means we have immense depth, so it won't be a problem.

With what money? £370 million of debt is no good.
Reply 393
El Stevo
With what money? £370 million of debt is no good.

Approximately €50m according to the club. The debt is being repayed and financially the club is fine. It has never stopped Barca spending before, why should it now? I guess the whole 'salary loan' has made you think this?
Liverpool have made a surprise move for the Aston Villa full-back Luke Young. Roy Hodgson, the Liverpool manager, tried to sign Young earlier this year when he was in charge of Fulham and he has now rekindled his interest in the former England international. Liverpool have agreed a £2.5m fee for a player who has been told he is surplus to requirements at Villa Park.

Although Hodgson's pursuit of Young might raise a few eyebrows among Liverpool supporters, the 31-year-old is able to operate in both full-back positions and was asked to represent England as recently as last November, when Fabio Capello failed to persuade the defender to reverse the decision he made earlier that year to retire from international football with seven caps to his name. He would also increase Liverpool's quota of homegrown players to comply with the new Premier League rule.

Liverpool are also short of options in the full-back positions because Emiliano Insúa is set to join Fiorentina and Fábio Aurélio has left the club on a free transfer. Philipp Degen, the Switzerland right-back, has also been told that he can look for another club after meeting with Hodgson last week.

Villa have been keen to offload Young as he is one of the club's higher earners and has three years remaining on his contract. Sunderland had also expressed an interest in signing Young this summer but were unable to match his personal terms.

Villa's decision to make Young available for transfer came as a disappointment to many of the club's supporters. Having joined Villa from Middlesbrough in a £5.5m deal two years ago, Young performed well in his first season but his start to the following campaign was curtailed through a combination of injury and personal tragedy, when Andre, his 17-year-old half-brother, was found dead on holiday.

Young eventually came back into the Villa side but made only 14 Premier League starts and was ultimately unable to dislodge Carlos Cuéllar, an orthodox central defender, from the right-back position. He remained a popular figure among the Villa supporters, however, and was given a standing ovation when he appeared as a substitute against Blackburn Rovers in the final match of the season.

The wage issue would be a concern but if he can play both fullback positions, I think it would be a great back up signing.

Johnson + new signing to be first choice fullbacks, Young to cover both flanks and Carragher/Agger as 3rd options if need be.

Article from the Guardian
Reply 395
If Young comes in as first choice LB, I don't think that'd be a good move, but as a utility player, he'd be a decent signing.
Reply 396
Hmm I've looked for ages, and I can't find the highlights from a Liverpool Vs Chelsea match yonks ago, when the final score was 2-2 (I think) and Hasselbaink and Owen grabbed a couple of goals each. I'm desperate to see the highlights of that match :p:
Reply 397
So many rumours about Maxi leaving, possibly for Espanyol. Really don't see the point in selling him unless we get a sizeable offer as who exactly are we going to replace him with?

I would be quite happy if the Insua deal fell through and we got Luke Young as back up. I just hope we aren't paying him top wages as that means that Villa's back-up would then become our first choice :sigh:
Reply 398
Reports suggest Hodgson is set to ask the Anfield money men to offer Ipswich £8.5 million.

Wickham - an England youth international who helped the Under-17s to the European Championship crown in May - has also been watched by Arsenal's Arsene Wenger and Tottenham's Harry Redknapp.

Hodgson had him watched last season and spoke with his advisors about a move to Fulham. They told him they would hold out to see if one of the Barclays Premier League's top six came in ... and now Hodgson is in a position to offer him that move.

As if we have that kind of money for a child :rofl:
Reply 399
Jansen, who scored in Germany's 3-2 win over Uruguay in the third-place play-off at the World Cup, is reported to be a possible target for new Reds manager Roy Hodgson.

Liverpool are in desperate need of a new left-back having released Fabio Aurelio and in the process of selling Emiliano Insua to Fiorentina. But Jansen, 24, is not a contender to move to Anfield, according to his representative Gerd vom Bruch.

"The interest in him is a credit to Marcell," he told Hamburger Morgenpost. "But he is under contract with Hamburger SV and will be respecting this."

Liverpool have been linked with a number of potential targets, including Fulham's Paul Konchesky and PSV left-back Carlos Salcido. But it is Wigan's Maynor Figueroa who remains the most likely signing with an agent of the player telling the Daily Mirror: "Just a few details remain before we confirm the signing."

The Telegraph says Hodgson is believed to be closing in on Figueroa, the Wigan and Honduras left-back.

The player will leave this summer and Liverpool remain confident of agreeing a £6 million fee.

The player's agent, Jean-Marc Goiran, has confirmed that a "deal is almost in place with Liverpool" for the 27 year-old.

I would prefer to keep Insua tbh but at least we would have a player with Premier League experience.

Latest