The Student Room Group
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
I really wouldnt worry about them, Mine is ok. Its actually pretty interesting taking a subject I dont know so much about - and to be honest in year you ned to pass 6 out of 8 units.. so in all tecnicality you could fail both options and be fine,. *(not that im recommendin it obviously.)
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website
Reply 41
have applied for medicine
I applied for Philosophy and Politics at Southampton! I reeeeaaaally want to go and hope I get in! 10 applicants per place sounds scary :eek: :>.<:
Hey,

I've applied for Philosophy and got a letter today asking me to go down for an open day and an interview...which is scary because I thought I was only going to have one interview (for cambridge). I also live in Durham which is a very very very long way to Southampton and with 2 weeks' notice I could fly down for £180 or get the train for £51, having to change twice on the way...so instead my dad's having to drive down...5/6 hours in the car!!! They said apparently they interview like 250 philosophy applicants a year! it's not even one of my top 3 choices but I don't wanna end up without an offer...so frustrating....and I haven't read the main book on my PS yet...uh oh!
anyone else been invited down yet?
Reply 44
My boyfriend had a philosophy interview last year. You get a tour around campus and a 15min individual interview, as well as a talk from the department. I think they pay some contribution towards expenses? OK it's a long way away but it's got a fab rep for philosophy and it's a great course..you just have to weigh up whats better...a day at Soton being interviewed or a day at school/college :biggrin:
organised_chaos
Hey,

I've applied for Philosophy and got a letter today asking me to go down for an open day and an interview...which is scary because I thought I was only going to have one interview (for cambridge). I also live in Durham which is a very very very long way to Southampton and with 2 weeks' notice I could fly down for £180 or get the train for £51, having to change twice on the way...so instead my dad's having to drive down...5/6 hours in the car!!! They said apparently they interview like 250 philosophy applicants a year! it's not even one of my top 3 choices but I don't wanna end up without an offer...so frustrating....and I haven't read the main book on my PS yet...uh oh!
anyone else been invited down yet?

Eeeekkk!!! It says in the prospectus that generally they don't interview so i thought we were safe! crikey I hope I don't get one, I haven't read the books I said about either!!! When did you send off your application?

Heather xx
Reply 46
I have applied for MPhys Physics with Astronomy!

Wish me luck. I'd really like to get in.

I've be asked to a Visit Day in December (no mention of interview). Now, I applied on 6th Oct and on the Soton website it says they generally make offers 6-8 weeks after you apply. So may I get an offer before I go to the Visit Day or will they wait until after that to make offers?
demonbuttercup
Eeeekkk!!! It says in the prospectus that generally they don't interview so i thought we were safe! crikey I hope I don't get one, I haven't read the books I said about either!!! When did you send off your application?

Heather xx

I sent mine off on the 14th of October...I didn't think I would get interviews for anywhere except Cambridge, but apparently not! My head of 6th form rang them up for me and they said they get 400 applicants and they interview around 250 that they're interested in....
I also haven't read the main book on my personal statement, but luckily, I have the day off college tomorrow to spend the whole day reading summaries of it, as well as the book itself...i fear I may go insane. All the hassle for a tour and a 15 minutes interview....jeeeez!
Hope that helps, Laura.. xox
Reply 48
I didn;t think Southampton would interveiw me, but I'm obviosuly wrong. I thought they'd interveiw borderline students, perhaps I am a borderline student. Anyone else going to a Maths interveiw?
Reply 49
Applied for Aerospace Engineering - MEng. Recieved a conditional offer of AAB today as well :biggrin:.
Reply 50
Congrats :biggrin:
Reply 51
Well done! Aerospace @ Soton rocks..have a housemate who does it and he does cool stuff in wind tunnels.
Reply 52
Thanks guys, although I don't think that Southampton will be my first choice...
Reply 53
Boo why not? We are such an underrated uni it annoys me, as everyone who ends up here loves it..I have honestly never heard a bad word said about Soton once people come here and experience uni life properly!
Reply 54
I'm sure it's a lovely uni, and I know that it has one of the best engineering schools in the country, but I just prefer the look of courses at one or two other institutions. Not to say I wouldn't be happy if I did end up in Southampton, but it wouldn't be my first choice :smile: .
Reply 55
ssmoose
I didn;t think Southampton would interveiw me, but I'm obviosuly wrong. I thought they'd interveiw borderline students, perhaps I am a borderline student. Anyone else going to a Maths interveiw?

I applied to Southampton for maths, but I have just got to attend an open day. That's strange!
Reply 56
I haven't applied yet but I really want to. I want to do English Literature.
Reply 57
//Mike
I'm sure it's a lovely uni, and I know that it has one of the best engineering schools in the country, but I just prefer the look of courses at one or two other institutions. Not to say I wouldn't be happy if I did end up in Southampton, but it wouldn't be my first choice :smile: .

I was under the impression it was the Best. :biggrin: But anyways, Good luck in whatever you decide. :smile:
Reply 58
Seriously, the engineering school is great. If other courses appeal more then totally follow your head with that one but you wouldn't do wrong to come here :smile: Best of luck.
I got a letter this morning, I have an interview on the 23rd for philosophy, aggggghhhhhh! it's only an informal one right? i hope they don't play mind tricks like they do with the oxbridge interviews! well soton is my first choice so i better do good!!

Latest

Trending

Trending