The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Bedshaped
Do you reckon it's because they have enough money and now just want to sit back and enjoy it, whilst having a dayjob?

My economics teacher at school used to work for a massive investment bank and then gave up his job to teach because he wanted to "help the community" (dont' know whether to believe that or not)

My biology teacher said the same, she was working for one of the pharmaceutical companies, but was more of a 'people person', so took a dip in pay to become a teacher.
Reply 41
S.R
LOL going to oxford does not make you smarter than everyone else. My Physics teacher went oxford, and he is the most average guy you will ever meet.

Wtf? Ok, I'm not flaming you and I'm not sure if you're attacking that guy, but he simply answered my question.

Someone who went to Oxford can be classified as "pretty educated" in my opinion.
One of my history lecturers... even in casual conversation, nothing to do with history, he knew enough about the subject to hold an intelligent debate.
Reply 43
Profesh
My former A-Level History teacher attended Cambridge, Bangor and several other institutions, and is by far the most terrifyingly intelligent person I've ever had the privilege of being ritually humiliated by.

I never had the pleasure (?) of being taught by him — only two years of form tutorage — so I suppose I didn't have the full experience, but I would have gone for terrifyingly terrifying, rather than terrifyingly intelligent.
My dad at least.

BSc Chemical Engineering - Edinburgh
MSc Food Science - MIT
PhD Nutritional Science - UMinnesota (best in the field at the time)
MA Film - UCLA

He founded Iceland's first nutritional department, was an admissions officer and a professor, did countless research into things, and he somehow managed to have studied everything in his spare time including seven languages (if i recall), history, art, literature, microbiology, physics, religion, etc.

He has done lots of things including teaching, research, directing, writing, nutritionist support, etc.
Probably my grandfather. He did Law at Cambridge and is a high court judge in Ghana. He just seems to know everything about anything.
Reply 46
ragnar_jonsson
My dad at least.

BSc Chemical Engineering - Edinburgh
MSc Food Science - MIT
PhD Nutritional Science - UMinnesota (best in the field at the time)
MA Film - UCLA

and he somehow managed to have studied everything in his spare time from seven languages (if i recall), history, art, literature, microbiology, physics, religion, etc.

Wow, thats wicked! What was his occupation?
Reply 47
BJack
I never had the pleasure (?) of being taught by him only two years of form tutorage so I suppose I didn't have the full experience, but I would have gone for terrifyingly terrifying rather than terrifyingly intelligent.

Shame. It was like being taught by Blackadder.
Reply 48
Bedshaped
Wtf? Ok, I'm not flaming you and I'm not sure if you're attacking that guy, but he simply answered my question.

Someone who went to Oxford can be classified as "pretty educated" in my opinion.

Obviously in most cases yes, it is pretty selective at oxford and everything. I'm just saying this guy actually admitted he only got in because he "had contacts" He didn't even get a A in physics A level.
Bedshaped
Wow, thats wicked! What was his occupation?

I updated my post :smile: (forgot to include the occupational stuff).
Reply 50
ragnar_jonsson
I updated my post :smile: (forgot to include the occupational stuff).

Dude, that guy is awesome. Directing as well? Sounds like an absolute legend.
Bedshaped
Dude, that guy is awesome. Directing as well? Sounds like an absolute legend.

Yep. Oops, he also founded Scandinavia's first privatised television station. And he does quite a bit of business stuff. Hahaha.
Bedshaped
Eh? A guy I know just got his degree in Business and Law from London met and landed a job working for a bank earning 40k, so I don't understand what you're implying.

He's an idiot.
My history teacher, P.h.D, published papers and written a book. Nice guy as well :smile:
S.R
LOL going to oxford does not make you smarter than everyone else. My Physics teacher went oxford, and he is the most average guy you will ever meet.

S.R
Maybe he got them from London Met?

:rofl:

You are confused.
Reply 55
My father. He never went to university. He travelled the world working for chemical engineering companies. He's fluent in several European languages and some other languages so was used as a translator a lot. Used to be embarrassing at parent's evening and when meeting my friends, but he's incredibly smart. I did not get the brains! :frown: But he's awesome. He used to teach me Chinese when I was little :smile: I don't think going to university makes you automatically 'educated'. You need to see the world a bit, you know?
kwassa
I don't think going to university makes you automatically 'educated'.

One can gain the education one receives at university through textbooks.

You need to see the world a bit, you know?

Most certainly!
My next door neighbour had a law degree and several other qaulifications... But she worked in a sunbed shop :/
Reply 58
I don't know. Some of my teachers, maybe? I know a few who are studying for an MA...
Reply 59
vitamortis
One can gain the education one receives at university through textbooks.

Ah of course :smile: I don't disagree.

Latest

Trending

Trending