The Student Room Group
Manchester Metropolitan University
Manchester

Universities

Which college is better for Fashion Marketing? Nottingham or Manchester Metropolitan Uni?
Reply 1
Original post by madhura_08
Which college is better for Fashion Marketing? Nottingham or Manchester Metropolitan Uni?
When you say better for fashion, what do you mean? Better teaching, better outcomes, better student experience, better research? Better cafes on campus?

If you are referring to prestige, then forget it. Companies don't care where you study. More what you know and what skills you bring. You might also ask of these universities what links they have into industry and the percentage of students employed in relevant employment after graduation. That is the only true measure of "better" in my view.

Good luck!
(edited 1 month ago)
Manchester Metropolitan University
Manchester
Original post by hotpud
When you say better for fashion, what do you mean? Better teaching, better outcomes, better student experience, better research? Better cafes on campus?
If you are referring to prestige, then forget it. Companies don't care where you study. More what you know and what skills you bring. You might also ask of these universities what links they have into industry and the percentage of students employed in relevant employment after graduation. That is the only true measure of "better" in my view.
Good luck!
"Companies don't care where you study."
Sorry, this is simply nonsense and not even remotely true.
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous #1
"Companies don't care where you study."
Sorry, this is simply nonsense and not even remotely true.
Is that based on personal experience? As a former software developer, we recruited all manner of candidates but most notably, Oxbridge candidates tended to have very poor first hand experience and didn't seem that good at the kind of coding tests we set. We recruited one person who had no degree based on their history on stack overflow and quite a number of physics grads who had little formal coding training but who aced the tests. To sum up the IT industry, it is more about what you know and what skills you have rather than what the colour of your tie is.

I don't doubt for a second that there are some companies who will have you simply because you happened to attend a particular university but for me I would avoid. Our parliament is very much based on this system and just look how hopelessly incompetent most of our Oxbridge educated ministers and MPs are. Our last five Prime Ministers all went to Oxford and look what an absolute shambles they have made of the country! I note Kier Starmer, waiting in the wings is also Oxford stock. He doesn't exactly excite the pants off you does he? How refreshing would it be if our leaders were not university educated for a change. They certainly couldn't do any worse.

Yet somehow you seem to be suggesting that simply because someone went to a particular university, that makes them a cut above the rest? On what basis?
(edited 1 month ago)
Original post by hotpud
Is that based on personal experience? As a former software developer, we recruited all manner of candidates but most notably, Oxbridge candidates tended to have very poor first hand experience and didn't seem that good at the kind of coding tests we set. We recruited one person who had no degree based on their history on stack overflow and quite a number of physics grads who had little formal coding training but who aced the tests. To sum up the IT industry, it is more about what you know and what skills you have rather than what the colour of your tie is.
I don't doubt for a second that there are some companies who will have you simply because you happened to attend a particular university but for me I would avoid. Our parliament is very much based on this system and just look how hopelessly incompetent most of our Oxbridge educated ministers and MPs are. Our last five Prime Ministers all went to Oxford and look what an absolute shambles they have made of the country! I note Kier Starmer, waiting in the wings is also Oxford stock. He doesn't exactly excite the pants off you does he? How refreshing would it be if our leaders were not university educated for a change. They certainly couldn't do any worse.
Yet somehow you seem to be suggesting that simply because someone went to a particular university, that makes them a cut above the rest? On what basis?
OP's post was about Fashion Marketing and off you go about low end market coding...
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous #1
OP's post was about Fashion Marketing and off you go about low end market coding...
Rather derogatory. If £500 a day is low end to you then I do very much apologise.

Coding, fashion, business consulting. At the very best case scenario the university you write on your application might get you an interview but it certainly won't get you a job. As I am sure you know, when someone hires you, they are only interested in what you bring to the company and that boils down to the bottom line unless there is so much money they don't care and it is an old-boys club. For everyone else, it is what you know, what skills you bring and how your impact will affect the bottom line.

Feel free to carry on with your dismissiveness and if you want to believe that going to a "top university" (whatever that is) will bring you guaranteed riches simply because of the colour of your tie then all the very best of luck to you!
Original post by madhura_08
Hi @madhura_08

Our Fashion Marketing course is CIM accredited and focuses a lot on employability, helping you gain the experience you'll need after graduation as you make your first steps into a career. You'll learn about interactive fashion marketing, digital marketing, artificial intelligence, personalised fashion marketing, micro-influencers, sustainability, and user-generated content. Underpinning this is a thorough knowledge of the fashion industry, the product development process, and the local/global socio-economic influence on fashion and the marketing message.

You'll also receive great support as a Man Met student with access to our wellbeing, careers, and other support services to help you make the most out of your 3 years with us.

Manchester's in a great location in relation to working in fashion, with plenty of large brands having offices in the city. It's also a great place to live, with great nightlife, events, outdoor spaces and things to do. It's hard to be bored living here in my opinion!

If you've got any questions about the course or student life at Man Met, feel free to drop me a message or contact our Course Enquiries who will be happy to help.

Hope this helps!!

Chloe:biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending