The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Welsh_insomniac
But movies cost a lot to make. They make this money back afterwards in cinema ticket sales and dvd sales... if they don't cover the costs of making the film then they have made a loss. It's not hard to understand this concept.

People should stop trying to justify stealing property just because they think the prices are too high.

P.s. I'm not sure why people think the cinema is hugely expensive. You could use StudentBeans (Buy one get one free if you print off voucher from Monday to Thursday) or use Orange Wednesday's. I do wish it was the same price as it use to be years ago, but as someone rightly pointed out, the supply and demand is very volatile and cinema's are dying. I don't mind though, as I usually wait until the film is out on DVD and I'll try and pick up a cheap copy :smile:

a movie like inception isnt going to make a loss. The movies that do make losses isnt due solely to piracy.

A movie that i dont know if i would like; i wouldnt buy that. i would download it first and if i enjoyed it then i would have no problem paying for a dvd of that.
W.H.T
So by your argument, if someone makes an exact same copy of a physical object (e.g. alarm clock) that they bought from a shop by using spare materials that they already have, and then give this copied version to a friend, this would be considered as morally wrong because the store has lost out on money which would've been gained from the friend buying the same clock, right?

First of all, this is not a very good point, because you cannot just 'make an exact copy of a physical object', especially with the little effort of a click of a button, and with a lack of material cost like you can when you download/pirate files, so this kind of arbitrary comparison is impossible.

Second, while not being physical theft, technically it is still another form of theft, because you are stealing the 'RIGHT' or priviledge to watch a movie when you download it (without paying the company), rather than stealing the physical file. It's very similar to as if you snuck into the movie theatre itself, or say a football match, without paying. Not only have you stolen the right to be in the stadium/theatre for that period in the value of ticket costs, you have avoided complying by the same rules which 95% of others have abided by, meaning that you are morally cheating).

(Whether you would have paid or not if you had to is irrelevant, you are still thieving it, so morally breaking the rules. It brings up a lot of complications in life, like the practicality of morality, and if you should cheat the system if you can, blah blah blah.)

It really depends on one's personal moral designs, and how one defines theft...
It's the closest I'll ever get to being in the Mafia though...:sadnod:
the idea that piracy damages the economy is stupid. If people don't spend their money on films they will spend it on something else and thus there is no drop in aggregate demand in the economy. economic activity remains the same
Reply 84
Tefhel
Yeah I don't think piracy is to blame for a drop in cinema attendance. Who wants to watch a shaky camcorder copy with bad sound on a tiny screen? Not me.

You can get films in HD when or sometimes even before they're released in the cinema. The days of shaky camera recordings are gone my friend.

Personally I never buy DVDs & I never go to the cinema either in London. The prices here are absolutely ridiculous, and the screens are tiny due to lack of space. I go quite a lot in Hull because its less than half the price it is in London. If cinema tickets were £5 or less I would probably go every week, I love going to the cinema, it just doesn't compare to seeing it at home - especially if the film is 3D.
koranreader
the idea that piracy damages the economy is stupid. If people don't spend their money on films they will spend it on something else and thus there is no drop in aggregate demand in the economy. economic activity remains the same

I'm not sure about my point here, but surely would it cause some effect in terms of inflation:

A sort of artificial increase in aggregate demand would occur as people are appearing to be consuming not only the movies, but other things as well, making the Aggregate demand seem higher than it actually is, and causing unnecessary and disproportionate inflation in the economy, hurting consumers by decreasing their real income to a greater effect.
:confused:
Tefhel
Who wants to watch a shaky camcorder copy with bad sound on a tiny screen? Not me.

Oh dear, how wrong you are.
BermyHopeful
I'm not sure about my point here, but surely would it cause some effect in terms of inflation:

A sort of artificial increase in aggregate demand would occur as people are appearing to be consuming not only the movies, but other things as well, making the Aggregate demand seem higher than it actually is, and causing unnecessary and disproportionate inflation in the economy, hurting consumers by decreasing their real income to a greater effect.
:confused:

aggregate demand would remain the same. the demand for media would drop but this would be made up for with people spending the money they would spend on media on other industries e.g food. this means gdp remains the same overall and thus the economy is unharmed
koranreader
aggregate demand would remain the same. the demand for media would drop but this would be made up for with people spending the money they would spend on media on other industries e.g food. this means gdp remains the same overall and thus the economy is unharmed

Lol yeah, you're right, stupid thinking. Though, wouldn't this cause structural unemployment? As those in the film industry are out of a job and don't have the skills to work in the other industries? That would certainly be bad for the economy...
Reply 89
Naahhh... The film industry is fine.. As long as 14 year olds continue needing a place to give a blowjobs. :smile:
BermyHopeful
Lol yeah, you're right, stupid thinking. Though, wouldn't this cause structural unemployment? As those in the film industry are out of a job and don't have the skills to work in the other industries? That would certainly be bad for the economy...

that is true but jobs would be created in other areas which would make up for the loss of jobs in the film industry. as I said before aggregate demand does not change so there is no overall change in employment levels just the types of jobs available. demand is key to economics if there is no change in demand there is no change in anythingelse whether that that be inflation or employment levels.
Reply 91
piracy supports child abuse.

Everyone knows this, it are fact.
Tommyjw
Your an idiot.
Ofcourse piracy makes a lot less people go to the cinema.
I wanted to go see the A Team, instead.. i watched it online on a perfect copy.
We wanted to see inception, instead my uncle had a perfect DVD copy.
This is just me.. in the last week.. they've lost 10 quid right there.

Now, take that to millions of others.. many that are worse than me, ofcourse its gonna have a huge effect

Its like saying piracy of songs on limewire n torrents and such have no effect on the music industry.
Grow a brain.

Less people going to cinema = less profits = prices need to go up. Thats one reason prices are going up.
So is the fact of how expensive films are costing to make nowadays, means they are needing to up prices.
Both of these together = prices going up, and a reasonable reason why.

Your whole post must mean you actually know nothing about the film industry or about business's in general. Maybe you should do a little research and stop coming up with your own "conspiracy" stuff or stop following other peoples.

Mickey Mouse is gonna be on your ass for this.

You didn't hear it from me :ninja:
I'll just leave this here...

I think it would actually help if films came out on DVD a LOT sooner after they're released at the cinema. I mean, some people just don't want to go to the cinema. :dontknow:

Also, LOL at people who believed all the propaganda about pirated DVDs being bad quality. I mean sure, it's not amazing quality (at first, when the film is in the cinema... until someone gets a DVD copy and rips it, then it's good quality.) but it is a LONG LONG way from a 'shaky camcorder copy with bad sound on a tiny screen'. Lmao.
Dadeyemi
piracy supports child abuse.

Everyone knows this, it are fact.

Genuinely loled. :toofunny:

'Don't be a douche. Stop piracy.'
I pay to go to the cinema at least every other week, I have well over 250 DVDs all bought legally, I also on occasion download films. If it's a film I'm not really bothered about, I'm not going to pay £8 to see it in the cinema or get it on DVD.

As a media student I know I should be all "save the industry" but to be quite honest, the industry is doing fine ha. Plus I totally refuse to pay for something if I'm only going to watch it for educational purposes, like to reference one scene :p:
Reply 97
najinaji
I'm sure that's really hitting your budget hard... :s-smilie:
I bet you've spent more on luxury foods or frivolous items of clothing...
No-one made you go to see the film. There's no need to be so angry towards the film industry.

you're right its not a reason to be angry, but it is a reason to resent it and if a person can find a way to avoid paying this and still see the film they want then they will, and they'll stop going to the cinema then the film industry REALLY WILL have a problem. Its a matter of supply and demand; currently there's virtually a limitless supply faced with a finite supply (especially given the current financial situation) so the venders need to adjust their prices to reflect this. Given that the competing supply is "free" the film industry have to justify the price with the added value of the cinema experience and tbh at those prices they're just not.

On a more general point filesharers spend more on legal music services than non filesharers (see: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/07/27/p2p_users_legal_downloads/) so the industries aren't necessarily loosing out, I don't think these people would spend any more if they were prevented from pirating music, they'd just consume less.
Reply 98
The film industry can **** off. They can't expect people to pay for their endless crap to be honest. I only go to the cinema at most, 3 or 4 times a year to watch a film that I've been following for a while, or when someone else is paying :smile:.

As for DVDs, you have to be rather stupid to gather a collection of films on had formats that become obsolete within 2-4 years of release. Film companies need to wise up; buying/keeping DVDs is impractical so why not release new films online cheaply so people can watch them when they like and they can easily update the files available when new tech like HD or 3D turns up. Instead of releasing a new version of the same things every 2 years.
Basically... piracy causes structural unemployment in the film industry, as they lose money. This means that the unemployed workers do not have the skills needed to work in other industries, even the ones that have new positions available/workers needed such as the ones that gain in the spending that doesn't go towards the film industry.

Whilst some will change industries, some (much in the same way as old coal workers and other types of workers in much of england) will choose to remain unemployed rather than re-train or adapt to a new career range, and this unemployment in turn causes a fall in Aggregate Supply in the long run. Thus, as we know when supply decreases, even if aggregate demand remains the same, not only will inflation will be incurred, there will be a fall in Real GDP. Does this prove that economically, piracy is bad?

Whew, that was complicated, I'll wait for someone to disprove this :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending