The Student Room Group

A level choices - medicine or film making???

Hi, I really hope I can get some advice as I don’t want to ask my parents as they are completely against the idea.
Growing up I’ve always wanted to study medicine and become a doctor however now I am having doubts. I hate exams as they really stress me out and I also dislike revision. Medicine is a lot of exams and studying! I’m not sure if I want to do it anymore but my parents really want me to and I feel like they would be disappointed if I didn’t.
I’ve applied to do biology chemistry and English alevel aswell as an epq.
However, I’ve always loved and been really good at English so recently I’ve been looking into working in the film industry (directing and producing kind of thing). I have zero experience and no idea how I would get into it so wondered if anyone has some advice? Should I take alevel media on top of the subjects I’ve already chosen as that may keep my options open? Should I be looking at uni to do film? I have no idea where to start or what to do apart from the fact I love writing so am looking to enter some screenwriting competitions. Please help!!! The idea of medicine just doesn’t excite me any more but the idea of making films does but I’m not sure if it’s just an unrealistic career as I’ve read that it’s hard to do well in. Thanks!!!
Original post by Darceylaurence
Hi, I really hope I can get some advice as I don’t want to ask my parents as they are completely against the idea.
Growing up I’ve always wanted to study medicine and become a doctor however now I am having doubts. I hate exams as they really stress me out and I also dislike revision. Medicine is a lot of exams and studying! I’m not sure if I want to do it anymore but my parents really want me to and I feel like they would be disappointed if I didn’t.
I’ve applied to do biology chemistry and English alevel aswell as an epq.
However, I’ve always loved and been really good at English so recently I’ve been looking into working in the film industry (directing and producing kind of thing). I have zero experience and no idea how I would get into it so wondered if anyone has some advice? Should I take alevel media on top of the subjects I’ve already chosen as that may keep my options open? Should I be looking at uni to do film? I have no idea where to start or what to do apart from the fact I love writing so am looking to enter some screenwriting competitions. Please help!!! The idea of medicine just doesn’t excite me any more but the idea of making films does but I’m not sure if it’s just an unrealistic career as I’ve read that it’s hard to do well in. Thanks!!!

Hey! I can imagine that’s a really horrible situation to be going through, as it seems like you’re dealing with a lot of pressure from your parents and what they want, rather than them being accepting of what you want to do. Of course medicine is a fantastic route to go down, it’s well paid, a rewarding career but that’s not to say film making/ screen writing wouldn’t be a rewarding career too! If that’s your passion I wholeheartedly think you should follow it. At the end of the day, you could pursue medicine and and then get to the point at uni where it wears you down so much you just don’t want to do it anymore. If that’s not your passion you have to do what makes you happy, because a degree/ apprenticeship / job is something you’re going to put your all into and you’re much more likely to be successful if it’s something you love, regardless of the ‘risks’ as such pursuing something more creative. I don’t think you would be disappointing your parents if you sat them down and explained that this is what you are passionate about. If you think you could manage four A levels then media may be a great route! Alongside this, (don’t take my word for definite here haha but) many creative Uni’s such as UAL accept students on to courses such as costume design, film making, art etc with a portfolio, meaning you can still take science subjects and as long as your portfolio is WOW factor, you’ll be eligible for a place. You could get summer work experience placements working on small film productions even as a runner and it’s a great way to get contacts. Screen - writing competitions is also a fantastic idea! I’m about to start a fine art degree which was not really my original plan and I am SCARED but honestly at the end of the day, I’ve realised I’m more excited about the future now that I have a chance to do something I enjoy, and more motivated too. Stick with your gut but you should explain to your parents how much pursuing film would make you happy! Hope this somewhat helps :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest