The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Ultimate Guide to Modules!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by taeht
Well, but look at my situation...

I got in for psychology and I believe that with my knowledge I would be capable to pass the first year modules even now.
However, I am not entirely decided whether I want to pursue this career to be my profession thus the other modules I want to take will be philosophy (the Mind and Reality module and Introduction to logic - I think these are also quite easy in my eyes) plus IR (which yes, requires a lot of extra work and I am not certainly sure they can accept me?). The additional fourth subject would be Management due to fact my father is a manager and hope this skills can potentially open more doors in the future (it goes well with psychology too - the marketing stuff especially).

My country of birth is not the UK and our secondary education is really broad so I have studied all the subjects before.

I think it's presumptuous to assume that you'll be able to pass first year psych with existing knowledge. I know many people who believed they would be able to pass modules with school-leaver level knowledge and ended up failing modules as a result. Frankly out of those three subjects, IR would be the least amount of work, as the actual subject matter really isn't hard and in all honesty you're not likely to get onto the course anyway, as competition to do it if it isn't your degree subject is massive. I would decide which three you value studying the most and stick with them!
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Has anyone done the 2nd year geography modules? Would it be too much to do them with two other modules, as they are 30 credits as opposed to the arts ones which are 20?
Reply 222
hey,

will somebody be so kind and provide feedback on Mind and Reality and Reasoning modules? (1st year philosophy)
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 223
I have a question about the requisites for modules that I hope someone can answer. I hope to take Contemporary Moral Theory. This has Value and Normativity as a pre-requisite OR co-requisite. I have not taken a module like that at my home university (I'm coming to St Andrews for 1 semester), I have only learned the basics of the subject. But I do intend to take a module exactly like Value and Normativity at my home university right when I come back.
So can anyone tell me how strict these requisites are? I am a little confused that V&N can also be a co-requisite, because it is taught a semester after CMT. Does that mean you can take CMT as long as you take V&N the next semester (she asked hopefully)?
Hi, i will be doing MLitt in International Political Theory (postgraduate), is there anyone who could give me some advice on which modules are worth taking?
Reply 225
I'm first year Maths student from EU and I'm unsure if I need to take MT1001. Or maybe it would be possible to take MT1002 in the first semester instead?
Original post by AMelisa
I'm first year Maths student from EU and I'm unsure if I need to take MT1001. Or maybe it would be possible to take MT1002 in the first semester instead?

Do you meet the prerequisites for MT1002 (or an equivalent)? If so you can do MT1002 in semester one and just skip MT1001 all together.
I'm considering taking beginners Spanish as a third module, and I was hoping someone could review it for me? I'm mainly concerned that about the difficulty/amount of work involved. Thanks :smile:
Reply 228
Original post by Emily141
I'm considering taking beginners Spanish as a third module, and I was hoping someone could review it for me? I'm mainly concerned that about the difficulty/amount of work involved. Thanks :smile:

I'm hoping to take Spanish too! I've heard that there's a lot of work, but it's manageable- it can't be too bad, can it?
Original post by JTR__
I'm hoping to take Spanish too! I've heard that there's a lot of work, but it's manageable- it can't be too bad, can it?

Hopefully it won't be too bad! I took Spanish for GCSE but I've forgotten most of it :frown:
Original post by JTR__

Original post by Emily141
Hopefully it won't be too bad! I took Spanish for GCSE but I've forgotten most of it :frown:

Hi,

It's been a little while since I took the SP1003 Spanish for Beginners module...I was a first year in 2008...:colondollar: I've tried to have a look at the module information on the website, but it won't seem to let me as I'm not on the uni network(?)

Anyhoo! If you've already done GCSE Spanish this will probably be a walk in the park! I had done pre-GCSE Spanish about 5 years before this module and I had a significant advantage over other total beginners. Much of the work revolves around verb conjugations, adjective agreement and picking up as much vocabulary as possible all while following a textbook. To be honest, it was my easiest module over my 4 years by far and required very little work. A couple of my friends who had zero Spanish beforehand also found it pretty easy going. Assessment consisted of a class test every 2/3 weeks, 1 or 2 longer pieces of writing (nothing more than 500 words at a time!) and then the exam. (Without seeing the current module info I can't say whether this has changed!)

Overall, superb module and really good fun! It was overseen by the incomparable Bernard Bentley who sadly left. :tongue: I'm sure it's still just as good! I hope you enjoy your time in the Bubble!
Original post by chester.
Hi,

It's been a little while since I took the SP1003 Spanish for Beginners module...I was a first year in 2008...:colondollar: I've tried to have a look at the module information on the website, but it won't seem to let me as I'm not on the uni network(?)

Anyhoo! If you've already done GCSE Spanish this will probably be a walk in the park! I had done pre-GCSE Spanish about 5 years before this module and I had a significant advantage over other total beginners. Much of the work revolves around verb conjugations, adjective agreement and picking up as much vocabulary as possible all while following a textbook. To be honest, it was my easiest module over my 4 years by far and required very little work. A couple of my friends who had zero Spanish beforehand also found it pretty easy going. Assessment consisted of a class test every 2/3 weeks, 1 or 2 longer pieces of writing (nothing more than 500 words at a time!) and then the exam. (Without seeing the current module info I can't say whether this has changed!)

Overall, superb module and really good fun! It was overseen by the incomparable Bernard Bentley who sadly left. :tongue: I'm sure it's still just as good! I hope you enjoy your time in the Bubble!

Brilliant thank you, definitely taking that then! I really can't remember much from GCSE, but I suppose knowing the basics will help :smile:

I'm very much looking forward to the Bubble!
Does anybody know if modules from the school of classics are available to everyone else?
The 'LT1001 - Elementary Latin 1' module is 'optional for all Classical Studies, Classics, Latin Degrees'. Does that mean it's not optional to students doing science degrees? Thanks
Original post by sunandstars
Does anybody know if modules from the school of classics are available to everyone else?
The 'LT1001 - Elementary Latin 1' module is 'optional for all Classical Studies, Classics, Latin Degrees'. Does that mean it's not optional to students doing science degrees? Thanks

I would assume this to mean that the module is not a pre-requisite for those intending to complete a Classics/Classical Studies/Latin degree. I imagine most people intending to complete these degrees have already had some kind of Latin education before and therefore don't need to take Elementary Latin.
It's simply there as an option- for everyone. :biggrin:
Original post by sunandstars

I have a friend who studies chemistry, but took the beginners' ancient Greek module, which has the same comment by it in the module catalogue. So long as there aren't any clashes between the various class hours, then there shouldn't be a problem.
That is probably a silly question, but if you have modules one after the others at opposite ends of town, how do you manage? Do lectures finish a bit before the hour to give you a chance to rush to the other one?
Reply 236
Original post by cora06140
That is probably a silly question, but if you have modules one after the others at opposite ends of town, how do you manage? Do lectures finish a bit before the hour to give you a chance to rush to the other one?

Classes run from five minutes last the hour until five minutes before the hour, so you have a ten minute gap to move between classes. I had a 9am in the buchanan, and a 10am in the north Haugh last year, which is managable by either cycling or missing 5 minutes of one class- it's a matter of prioritising :smile:

Run. Or get a bike. I can't bike, so I usually speed-walked.

I had a 2nd year class at 10 in the Physics building and a 1st year class at 11 in the Buchanan. I ended up always being about 10-15 minutes late for the second one. If your second class is more important to you, leave the first one 10/15 minutes early.

Technically classes are meant to end at 5 to and start at 5 past, but 95% of the time my classes went over.
Original post by ElizabethRG
Run. Or get a bike. I can't bike, so I usually speed-walked.

I had a 2nd year class at 10 in the Physics building and a 1st year class at 11 in the Buchanan. I ended up always being about 10-15 minutes late for the second one. If your second class is more important to you, leave the first one 10/15 minutes early.

Technically classes are meant to end at 5 to and start at 5 past, but 95% of the time my classes went over.

Bike, definitely then... From the 10am Bio class in the Science building to 11am Psy lab in St Mary's - both are important, so daughter will be getting very fit I guess!

Thanks very much.
Reply 239
Bike, definitely then... From the 10am Bio class in the Science building to 11am Psy lab in St Mary's - both are important, so daughter will be getting very fit I guess!

Thanks very much.

At least with biology and psychology, many people will also be making the same trek so it shouldn't be too bad!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending