The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

University Choice

I am debating about which university will be better for me University of Exeter OR University of Reading to Study Medical Sciences.
What is making me most reluctant to chose Exeter is the fact that they are not very diverse compare to Reading and the fact that it will be easier to get a first in Reading than Exeter.
Original post by FCBAYERN
I am debating about which university will be better for me University of Exeter OR University of Reading to Study Medical Sciences.
What is making me most reluctant to chose Exeter is the fact that they are not very diverse compare to Reading and the fact that it will be easier to get a first in Reading than Exeter.

What do you mean by ‘easier to get a first’. Getting a first is dependent on you to work hard, not the university.
Looking at https://www.reading.ac.uk/ready-to-study/study/subject-area/medical-sciences-ug/bsc-medical-science and https://www.exeter.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/medicalsci/medicalsci/
The course structure is very clear for exeter, reading say it will be updated soon

From https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwjH2I2lgpaBAxVXQkEAHXNSCKgQFnoECDUQAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.reddit.com%2Fr%2Fexeter%2Fcomments%2F11l2yky%2Fdiversity_in_exeter%2F&usg=AOvVaw3y9QhzFeQgE-yzUNNYLDz6&opi=89978449
I see what you mean by the diversity
See https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=854885
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

Hey @FCBAYERN

Whilst it would be soooo easy for me to sit here and try to tell you why you should come to Reading (which we would absolutely LOVE and I will leave a few good points to consider below), ultimately, as you said, the most important thing is figuring out where is the best place for you. That includes so many other things than just the course! Have you been to visit both universities? If not, I would suggest definitely going along to open days. Ours begin in October, which you can sign up to here.
Think about what the most important factors are for you when considering where you might want to be, and try to prioritise like that. Think about your surroundings; where you think you'll feel most at home - for me, one of the biggest things that drew me to Reading was just the feeling I got when I arrived at the open day. I actually thought I was set on another university at that point, but when I arrived, I just immediately felt at home, welcomed and could see myself living there for the next 4 years. This is something that I think is super important. Think about what kind of lifestyle you want and what each university offers. I liked that Reading was campus-based, and the campus is so green/beautiful. It also has the ability to be a place that is as lively/unlively as you want it to be (which sounds so weird, I know!), but I feel as though it is a place that can suit any lifestyle preferences.
It's also super easy to access as a place. Transport links are great in and around Reading which is super helpful! We're also just a 23 minute train journey from London, which is great if you like city life, theatre, sports, sightseeing, or have any placements there! If you have any questions about anything specific related to the university, please ask away!

Then, of course, think about the facilities each university offers and what your course looks like. Does the course content cover what you're interested in? Both universities will likely offer slightly different modules and ways of teaching, so definitely make sure you spend time reading up about this and thinking about what you would prefer. You can read all about what we offer for Medical Sciences here as well as take a look at what the specific school facilities offer here and here.

Ultimately, it has to be up to you and where you would be happiest! I hope this helps, but please please do feel free to ask any questions you might have and we will do our best to answer them if we can.

Skye :smile:
4th Year Speech and Language Therapy Student

Hi @FCBAYERN,

Both the University of Exeter and the University of Reading are reputable institutions, and offer great Medical Science courses. If you’re having trouble picking between the two, here are a few things to consider before making your choice:

1. Course Structure and Content: Look into the curriculum and modules offered by each university for the Medical Sciences program. Consider your specific interests within the field and see which program aligns better with those interests.

2. Research Opportunities: Investigate the research opportunities available at each university, such as access to laboratories, research centres, and opportunities to work with faculty members on research projects. Engaging in research can greatly enhance your learning experience.

3. Facilities and Resources: Consider the facilities and resources provided by both universities, including libraries, laboratories, and study spaces. These can contribute to a conducive learning environment.

4. Industry Connections and Placements: Explore the universities' connections with the medical industry, including partnerships with hospitals, clinics, and research institutions. Strong industry connections can provide valuable placement opportunities and networking prospects.

5. Location and Campus Life: Reflect on the location and campus environment of each university. Consider factors such as proximity to medical facilities, extracurricular activities, student societies, and the overall atmosphere of the city or town to ensure you feel comfortable living/studying there.

Ultimately, the decision depends on your personal preferences, goals, and priorities. It may be helpful to visit both campuses, attend open days, and speak with current students to get a better sense of the universities' offerings.

Wishing you all the best,
Ellie

Hi FCBAYERN,

It's great to hear that you're considering Exeter!:smile: I know a few people who studied medical sciences and they really enjoyed it (and had super cool placement years in industry). You've already had very helpful advice from other reps and I really encourage you to think about what they have said as it will hopefully mean you make the decision that's best for you!

I'm not a medical sciences student so unfortunately don't have any personal experience to give to you but you can read more about the course here. You might find it helpful to compare the listed modules, how the modules are taught (lectures, seminars, workshops, practicals etc) and how the modules are assessed (exams, essays, presentations, posters, practicals etc) . This will help you start to understand which course you might prefer. As part of your course you will undertake research projects which is also super cool! Overall, have a look at both courses and compare them to see which one seems more preferable to you.

Another important thing when choosing a University is to see which ones feels right, more comfortable for you. If you haven't already I encourage you to go to Open Days. Our next Open Day is on Saturday the 7th of October, and there is also an online Open Day if you can't attend the in-person one. When I was making my decision on what University I would choose I visited them to get a sense of the atmosphere, facilities, community, surrounding city etc. When I visited Streatham campus I instantly loved it (minus the hills:biggrin:). It was very green, with beautiful ponds and gardens. The forum (where the library, support services and food outlets are) was nice and modern, and I liked the buildings for my course (biology). I was also super impressed with the fact there was an outdoor pool! There are loads of fun societies as well if you want to have a look at them here. Of course, you might not feel the same about Exeter as I do, but if you visit both Universities, hopefully you'll experience a similar feeling towards either (or both) of them. I should add that you'd also be based at St Lukes campus for medical sciences (it's only a 20-30 minute walk from Streatham).

The city of Exeter is also nice - it's in between a more typical city and a town. There's lots of shops and restaurants within a 20-30 minute walk from Streatham campus like Sainsbury's, Tesco, H&M, Hollister, Turtle Bay, Franco Manca, Zizzi, Hubbox, Next, Holland and Barrat, Mc Donalds, Gregg's, Co-op, Urban Outfitters to just name a few. There's also plenty of pubs and clubs. Surrounding Exeter are some beautiful places including Exmouth Beach, Dawlish Warren, and Dartmoor National Park. If you do decide to come to Exeter I highly recommend going to Exmouth beach during Fresher's!

Some extra points that you might not know is that 100% of research in clinical medicine has internationally excellent impact, and we ranked very highly in the Guardian University guide. This might not be as important to you but I think it nicely demonstrates how high quality the teaching and research is here at Exeter.

Having a less diverse community is something other people have shared their concerns about too. I believe I have responded to you previously about efforts made to support equality and diversity relating to race, gender, disability, sexual orientation and faith. To reiterate, Exeter University is keen to support the brightest minds regardless of background and personal circumstances. I understand though why it would be a concern for you, but I think visiting the University is again a good way to see how you feel about the sense of community.

I hope this helps you make your decision, and ultimately remember to make the decision that is best for you!:smile: If you have any questions about the University, the city or student life, feel free to reach out.

Best wishes,

Bethan
University of Exeter Student Ambassador
(edited 7 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending