The Student Room Group
Ayr Campus
University of the West of Scotland

UWS Hamilton Campus

I think as my last resort of not getting my conditional for caley or even the uws paisley campus for social sciences i will be going to hamilton! doing the CertHE social studies and then hopefully getting into my second year of social sciences. But i was looking forward to moving to glasgow to go to caley and now im dreading living in hamilton :frown:

What's the student nightlife really like and does anyone live in the halls at the hamilton campus at the moment?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
anyoneeeeeee?
Ayr Campus
University of the West of Scotland
Reply 2
im going there and it looks grand really not far from glasgow
Reply 3
kieran--f
im going there and it looks grand really not far from glasgow

are you staying in the halls?
Reply 4
yep hopefully they wanted a c2 in maths do and I got a c3
Reply 5
I'm from Hamilton but I go to Glasgow Uni. From my experience, Hamilton isn't much of a student town, but to be honest I've never been in UWS student union. In terms of clubs you've got the Hamilton Palace just down the road and the Megabar a short taxi journey in Motherwell, neither are studenty places at all. I've a soft spot in my heart for the Palace and generally the locals exaggerate how bad it is imo. I've been to Megabar a few times and it has been okay but from what I've heard just about everyone else has been stabbed in it. Glasgow is nearby, but you're talking about a £17-£30 taxi fare in and the same out. Trains and buses before midnight are very handy though.

All in all, Hamilton isn't a bad place to live but as a local, it doesn't seem 'studenty' at all.
Reply 6
Leessa_x
I think as my last resort of not getting my conditional for caley or even the uws paisley campus for social sciences i will be going to hamilton! doing the CertHE social studies and then hopefully getting into my second year of social sciences. But i was looking forward to moving to glasgow to go to caley and now im dreading living in hamilton :frown:

What's the student nightlife really like and does anyone live in the halls at the hamilton campus at the moment?

I was born in Glasgow, moved to Hamilton when I was four and moved out again at 18, although I'm back every now and again. To be honest, I had high hopes when Bell College became a university, and they weren't fulfilled. Talk of expanding the student halls, gym and union was all over the papers, but aside from a new engineering building, there has been nothing else yet. For nightlife, Hamilton is poor if I'm honest. The nightclub there is dominated by the local pondlife, so most people head into Glasgow. The pubs are either full of people you wouldn't associate with if your life depended on it or the pubs my dad and other folk nearing 60 might drink in. Student halls are small- 200 rooms max. Compare this with Caledonian (800 rooms), Strathclyde (2500) and Glasgow (4500), and you get the distinct impression that most of the students either commute to the university from places like Glasgow or stay in/around Hamilton with family anyway.

This being said, Hamilton is no worse than any other town without a university- probably better than a few. It's fairly big as towns go, so that isn't too bad, and there are a decent selection of pubs, although none I'd really frequent. Mavrix, the Tap Room, ML3+ and Bar West are alright, there's some decent older-type pubs near the Palace Nightclub, some are ok on certain nights but full of neds on others. IF the university expands these facilities in the coming years it might yet become a decent place to be, but that's not the case right now in my opinion. Ask me again in five years. If you find three of your mates though, getting home at 3am in a taxi is under £5 each from Glasgow, and the train runs till nearly midnight in 25minutes for £3 one way. Certainly could be worse.

EDIT: Yes, I think living in the city centre of Glasgow and commuting to Hamilton rather than the other way round is the better option. Express from Argyle Street to Hamilton West is less than 20mins, and it's then only a five minute walk to campus.
Reply 7
thanks guys! i'm thinking of living in glasgow and getting the train to hamilton in the mornings, surely i wont be in the uni every single day and hopefully it wont be too much of a hassle!
Reply 8
yeh llooks like am going to hamilton uws for social studies aswell seeing as i nver got the grades to get in to social work for caley or paisley sucks :frown: .... where do u get the express from argyll st cos am from glasgow need the quickest method of transport thanks and p.s glasgows nitelife is alot better than hamlitons have freinds frm there n they always come in2 glasgow :P x
Reply 9
The Argyle St trains are half past the hour and on the hour, with the Central trains being a couple of minutes before that. They get to Hamilton in 20 minutes (the non-express is 10 minutes later, but takes 10 minutes longer too). So if you had a 9am lecture the 8.30 from Argyle would you to Hamilton West before 8.50, giving you enough time to get to class.
Reply 10
Zoey Pasha
yeh llooks like am going to hamilton uws for social studies aswell seeing as i nver got the grades to get in to social work for caley or paisley sucks :frown: .... where do u get the express from argyll st cos am from glasgow need the quickest method of transport thanks and p.s glasgows nitelife is alot better than hamlitons have freinds frm there n they always come in2 glasgow :P x

hav u been changed to unsuccessful on your ucas from uws? im still at conditional and i phone everyday and they tell me to wait until the decision has been made, so to be honest i have no idea if im on social sciences or social studies course, apparently the social studies is my back up but they havent officially changed my ucas or anything! so stressfull i need to get accomodation sorted somewhere. i was suppossed to be doing social work as well at caley :frown: x
The train from my local train station drops me off at 09:01 -Rather inconvenient for a 9am or 10am start considering its a 5 minute walk from the train station- and it's an hourly service!

looks like I will have to travel into Glasgow and then get the train from central station to Hamilton whoop-di-doo!!

the joy
Reply 12
yeh am still showing conditional although my offers been changed to social studies, bt that was done over the phone with the admissions women at hamilton and shes supposedly passed my details on and this was 2weeks ago and nothings changed typical lol ... u shud phone the uni and tell them to make a descion pronto!! lol cos accomodations will be getting taken up quite quick if ur staying at halls! oh and thanks for the transport info ill need to look into it! btw do they do student discounts lol :P
Reply 13
I'm a Hamilton Accies season ticket holder if that's any use! :p:

May be going there next year to study Sports Journalism, decided not to go this year in the hope another Uni may accept me next year as I'd rather move away if possible and UWS Hamilton is only 10 minutes down the road from me.
Reply 14
Anyone going to study social sciences? and does anyone have any idea when freshers week begins?
Reply 15
going for the motorsport engineering and I dont know when freshers starts sorry i guess the 13th
Reply 16
Hey Guys just finished a year at UWS hamilton campus I did the cert.he in legal studies, I've now decided to move to abertay to do the llb.
But just so you know Hamilton is great if your staying in halls you're in for one hell of a year everyone knows everyone and you all gel quickly.
The student's union is small but always busy during the day, a bit quiet at night, usually only those staying at halls in after 4.30ish.
The newly elected campus president is a good one I have much respect for her and the bar staff and dj's are all nice people who will get to used to having your drink on the bar as you approach or have your favourite song playing before you need to request it.
The teaching side of it is great! because it was bell college the lecturers take their time to get to know you, and they try that bit harder to help you when you need it that's what I found anyway.
So if you have any questions about the campus just ask I will try my best to answer them for you.
Reply 17
Hey! Im Going to Hamilton to do Social Studies, was abit nervous about it to begin with, because if im honest, i know a few ppl that live there/ have lived there, and arent that positive about it lol... But i stay in Clydebank so cant get any worse. I was concerned about the travelling but the train service is great, takes about 45mins to get there, so not to bad.
Anyway, probably meet a few of u guys on the 22nd of Sept :smile:
hey is anyone going to UWS hamilton campus and doing Social studies???
Reply 19
emmasangrayx
hey is anyone going to UWS hamilton campus and doing Social studies???

Hey Yes, im doing Social Studies at Hamilton :smile:... Im Leanne, Nice to meet u lol
Where u from?
xx

Quick Reply

Latest