The Student Room Group
Ayr Campus
University of the West of Scotland

Is UWS as bad as people say?

Hey I am considering studying computer networking at UWS however the reviews of it are really mixed therefore it would be great if you could leave your experience of the UWS Paisley campus if you have studied there or are studying there thanks.
Original post by Kacper_2000
Hey I am considering studying computer networking at UWS however the reviews of it are really mixed therefore it would be great if you could leave your experience of the UWS Paisley campus if you have studied there or are studying there thanks.

@UWS
Ayr Campus
University of the West of Scotland
Reply 2
Yes, I am.
I'm doing my second degree at UWS. I did my first at the Ayr campus in filmmaking and screenwriting and after some life changes came back to study biomedical science at the Paisley campus. Both campuses and departments I've experienced have fantastic staff and facilities and I really enjoy it here. They have actually made some changes to the Paisley campus in the past year or so that really changed my impression of it. :h:
Original post by sinfonietta
I'm doing my second degree at UWS. I did my first at the Ayr campus in filmmaking and screenwriting and after some life changes came back to study biomedical science at the Paisley campus. Both campuses and departments I've experienced have fantastic staff and facilities and I really enjoy it here. They have actually made some changes to the Paisley campus in the past year or so that really changed my impression of it. :h:

I know i'm a bit late, but I applied for Filmmaking and screenwriting in UWS as you did! And I was wondering whether you could give me some info about the course and the uni!
I'm concerned about the 50/50 practical and theory rate.. is that true or is it more about one than the other? (I'd prefer practical stuff)
Thanks in advance!
I don't study here, but in terms of general reputation, it's not respected here very much. If you're interested in studying in the west-coast of Scotland / Glasgow area, these would be the universities with best reputation (highest > lowest)

1. Glasgow University
2. Strathclyde University
3. Glasgow Caledonian University
4. UWS
Reply 6
Original post by Faye__1996
I don't study here, but in terms of general reputation, it's not respected here very much. If you're interested in studying in the west-coast of Scotland / Glasgow area, these would be the universities with best reputation (highest > lowest)

1. Glasgow University
2. Strathclyde University
3. Glasgow Caledonian University
4. UWS

This is quite unfair. It completely depends on what you are studying and what your own particular needs are.
Reply 7
Original post by Kacper_2000

Paisley campus is old, but functional. There has been a lot of money invested in it recently to bring it up to a modern university standard. Some great teaching rooms.
I would definitely reconsider your choice of university. Having spent the last couple of years at UWS Paisley I feel the university treats its' students like employees at the worst kind of large corporation (i.e. not well). The atmosphere is not conducive to academia; materials are badly presented and assignments are not fully explained. It feels that students are set to up fail.This is my opinion. Check out other reviews before deciding, but as you posted about 2 years ago you are probably already on a course.All the best.
Honestly, you are right.
Original post by Szandor
This is quite unfair. It completely depends on what you are studying and what your own particular needs are.

Its degree in Chemistry is an accredited by the Royal Society of Chemistry, chemical engineering by the IoCE and Physics by the Institute of Physics. All engineering degrees are accredited by their professional organisations. Some of the research being done in the physical sciences department is very good, with material recently being sent to the international space station via Elon Musks “SpaceX”. I don’t think Cali even has a chemistry department, or physics. It’s more a uni for nursing and applications of subjects. I think it is very narrow minded to try and rank these universities like this. For instance, I wouldn’t go near Glasgow Cali to do any science related discipline. It doesn’t mean that it’s a bad university. Each differ course to course. But to rank them like that when you clearly have 0 knowledge about the way things are moving across the board frankly says a lot.

Quick Reply

Latest