The Student Room Group

switching from NatSci to Medicine

Hi everyone!
I will be a Natsci at Cam this October. I'm really excited about coming to Cambridge. However, I'm not sure whether NatSci was actually the right choice. The closer October gets the more I get the impression that I have talked myself into the entire NatSci thing.
Do you know whether it is possible to switch from NatSci to Medicine after one year?
I know a girl who switched from NatSci to medicine in her first week at Cambridge. I also know a girl who was planning to switch to medicine at the end of her first year, having done engineering; she was given permission to, but then decided not to. So, broadly, yes, it is possible to switch to medicine.
Reply 2
christ's-boy
I know a girl who switched from NatSci to medicine in her first week at Cambridge. I also know a girl who was planning to switch to medicine at the end of her first year, having done engineering; she was given permission to, but then decided not to. So, broadly, yes, it is possible to switch to medicine.

do you know whether she would have needed to repeat the year?
It says in the prospectus that you are very likely to have to start as a first year student if you are allowed to transfer to medicine.
Reply 4
you can.. but there is a quota.. so if you switch there must be a 'space' in the quota in your college to allow you to switch (ie.. if some medic decides not to turn up.. or doesn't get the grades)... alternatively you might have to switch colleges too if your college don't have the quota.
Reply 5
Basically as long as you are in cambridge you can change from one course to another provided you have a good background and understanding of the course. All you need is to talk to the admission tutor or anyone in charge. I attended the summer school at cambridge and these were part of my questions. I was even told I can change from mathematics,computer science,physics to engineering and vice versa.

manifest
Reply 6
Manifest
Basically as long as you are in cambridge you can change from one course to another provided you have a good background and understanding of the course.

but not quite with medicine given the number of students isn't merely decided by the uni. there's complicated NHS funding/HEsomethingsomethingtraining numbers/balance of clinical training places etc.

so i imagine it's harder than most changes - but if some medics change/drop out/fail (which they normally seem to) then i guess it is possible at Cam (doesn't seem to be at oxford though!).

Meghann37 - have you done work experience/voluntary work..? would you be prepared to change uni all together to study medicine..? commitment to medicine something i imagine most tutors definitely look for - so you might have to be fairly convincing in the re-interview.. :smile:
Reply 7
I could be wrong, but I think that Natscis can change to Medicine after their first year by taking years 1 and 2 of Medicine but not doing Part II. Therefore the course still takes 3 years. I expect first year Medicine must be a bit samey if you have already done first year Bionatsci though! (Although Anatomy would be completely new)

You would need a good first year result to have any chance of transferring though, as you essentially have to compete with all the other applicants in that year. It's definitely not a backdoor route to Medicine, as it's probably more difficult to get in this way. As for the quota, you take one of the quota places for the year you enter.
Reply 8
I know a girl from Catz who was able to switch from maths to medicine. So, theoretically it is possible.
Reply 9
sbailey
I expect first year Medicine must be a bit samey if you have already done first year Bionatsci though! (Although Anatomy would be completely new)

Not really I think.. we do 3 major + 4 minor module..
major ones: anatomy, physiology, biochemistry
minor ones: stats, epidemology (can't spell), sociology and PFP
I have a friend who did natsci (isn't doing part III), and is going to Oxford to do a conversion thingy to medicine.

MB
Reply 11
Reply 12
jetsetter
Stats and epidemiology are the same thing. They come under the bracket of ISBM.

And sbailey does have a point, cos the MVST biochem is pretty much the same as the natsci's cells option, the physiology is so similar to their animal phys that we use pretty much the same practical book and have similar lectures. So the only new thing really would be anatomy (which incidentally, is the best bit :smile: )

Oooh, a new Cam medic!

Also said pretty much what I would have said.

IF there are spaces then it MAY be possible to transfer within the first few weeks. Otherwise, there MIGHT be an opening for you to go into first year medicine at the end of the first year, though you would probably have to get a first in your IA exams (that was the offer my friend who wanted to do that was given). You CANNOT transfer into second year because you have to get all your 2nd MB exemptions from the first year course!

The most important thing, if you are not sure, is a)read more about doing Medicine and b)speak to your DoS as soon as you get the chance.

Latest

Trending

Trending