The Student Room Group

Biological Natural Sciences

Hi! I was just wondering what people’s opinions are on studying a natural sciences degree as i’ve seen some mixed responses.
Is it only worth doing at Cambridge University or is it a well regarded course from any uni?
I’ve also heard that the course can be quite disorganised, hence why Uni of York decided to cancel it for 2024, so any experiences on that would be helpful.
Would a single science degree be better?
I’m interested in various aspects of both bio and chem and the natural sciences course really appeals to me, however i’m put off by the idea that it would be harder to secure a job after uni as it’s too broad etc and is seen as inferior to pure sciences course.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated :smile:)
Reply 1
Worth doing at other unis as well :smile:
https://www.socnatsci.org/accredited-courses/

Original post by blossomx44!
Hi! I was just wondering what people’s opinions are on studying a natural sciences degree as i’ve seen some mixed responses.
Is it only worth doing at Cambridge University or is it a well regarded course from any uni?
I’ve also heard that the course can be quite disorganised, hence why Uni of York decided to cancel it for 2024, so any experiences on that would be helpful.
I’m interested in various aspects of both bio and chem and the natural sciences course really appeals to me, however i’m put off by the idea that it would be harder to secure a job after uni as it’s too broad etc and is seen as inferior to pure sciences course.

(bold bit) is it?
I'm doing NatSci at Bath; I think it's a pretty decent degree because you study multiple subjects. You do what you're interested in, and the majority of the lectures are with the single-stream students.
If you like the idea of the NatSci course (bearing in mind it's different at every uni), I'd say go for it. Because you have the breadth and depth and interdisciplinary skills, you have more flexibility for the future than, say, someone doing just biology. And if you realised you only wanted to do a single science degree, I think it's usually possible to switch :smile:

Natural Sciences at Bath: https://www.bath.ac.uk/topics/natural-sciences/
Original post by blossomx44!

Hi,

I'm currently going into the third year of my natural sciences degree at Lancaster. In my experience applying for internships, natural sciences is an increasingly well-regarded degree as employers are increasingly looking for candidates with an interdisciplinary skillset to tackle complex problems. As mentioned already, natural sciences degrees are now accredited by a professional body, so it's worth checking that any courses you're interested in are listed. This accreditation basically confirms that you have been taught a sufficient amount of practical and problem solving skills and have received enough scientific training as part of your degree. In some ways, having a natural sciences degree will give you an advantage as you may be able to bring skills/knowledge to the table that a single honours student would not have.

If you are interested in multiple science subjects I'd definitely recommend a natural sciences degree over a single honours degree. I study physics and environmental science and have really enjoyed being able to continue to study both and to investigate topics at the intersection of these two subjects. At Lancaster, if you decide at the end of first year that you'd rather switch to a single honours degree, it's definitely possible to do so. I'd imagine it's the same at other unis.

If you have any more questions feel free to ask,
Becky (Lancaster University Student Ambassador)
(edited 7 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending