The Student Room Group

UCL Medical Applicants 2011

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Onychophagia
I had a stress interview at UCL, that's the main reason why it was harder. They were just trying to be as awkward as possible by asking strange questions, rolling their eyes, disagreeing with everything I was saying and being generally quite unfriendly. The first thing the lead interviewer said to me was "I don't like your tie". I understood why they were doing it though, so I didn't take it personally. :p:

I don't know how they decide who to do that to. Everyone else on my day said they were generally quite affable.

I second this. It's almost like a description of my interview! One guy was absolutely brutal. Before I finished a sentence I would be interrupted, and he questioned everything I said. After I spoke about my work experience, he had this look on his face that said 'LIAR', even though I was telling the truth. God, it was horrible. I buckled under the pressure in the end and got rejected, I saw it coming from a mile off. Its a lovely medical school, but never again will I apply there, I felt the guy didn't trust me as soon as I walked in. Never smiled at me once. :frown:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 41
That sounds hilarious. Well it does right now at least. But I've heard of this. And I've also heard about Imperial's comparatively easier interviews. If it wasn't for UCL being so utterly awesome and me wanting to go there for years, I would have been scared off by this point. They seem to be one of the hardest med schools to get into. Also whilst we're on the subject of interviews what were they like on the BMAT essay? Over-analytical of every sentence you wrote?
Scrubby
Also whilst we're on the subject of interviews what were they like on the BMAT essay? Over-analytical of every sentence you wrote?

In mine they didn't really pick on sentences. They asked about the overall theme of the question I chose. My essay question was something like "People who have money should have the right to pay for better healthcare - Discuss". So obviously it was about private vs NHS etc. The thing they asked me was how it compares with education, and my opinions about private/state education. So they may well ask you to clarify some of your points, and then apply what you wrote to a similar situation.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 43
I'm applying, but my school won't let me take all modules in June :unimpressed:

And the Bmat is a bit of a gamble , but i'm willing to risk it, as it is just so lush :p:
Reply 44
Will UCL request our UMS scores or AS grades since we only 'cash in' the subject that we drop or is it based off predicted grades?
I have a fair amount of work exp and a decent personal statement. Predicted AAA so I meet entry right?
Is it worth rushing my UCAS application to meet my school's internal deadline for BMAT entries or should I just forget UCL?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 45
CynicaL
OK, straight up. I have to decide whether I'm applying to UCL by this friday.
At GCSE I got 6A* 5As
At AS I did pretty shocking! ABBB - Bio, Chem(remark) Maths, History(dropped+remark)
I will be resitting modules in January to bring that up to AAA.

Will UCL request our UMS scores or AS grades since we only 'cash in' the subject that we drop or is it based off predicted grades?
I have a fair amount of work exp and a decent personal statement. Predicted AAA so I meet entry right?
Is it worth rushing my UCAS application to meet my school's internal deadline for BMAT entries or should I just forget UCL?

I don't know how much UCL rate the AS grades, but I didn't get asked for UMS scores when I applied. Whether you should apply is down to you, is UCL worth doing the BMAT, etc. do you want to go to the institution?
CynicaL
X

Woody.
I don't know how much UCL rate the AS grades,

UCL states that "a strong performance at AS is expected" (especially in bio and chem). You have to declare your AS grades in order to be considered, but they won't request your UMS scores.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 47
Markh1000
You have to declare your AS grades in order to be considered, but they won't request your UMS scores.

Declare them where, when and how? I got a high B awaiting remark but easily an A when I resit. UCL not looking likely atm.:frown:
CynicaL
Declare them where, when and how? I got a high B awaiting remark but easily an A when I resit. UCL not looking likely atm.:frown:

On your UCAS application...
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 49
CynicaL
OK, straight up. I have to decide whether I'm applying to UCL by this friday.
At GCSE I got 6A* 5As
At AS I did pretty shocking! ABBB - Bio, Chem(remark) Maths, History(dropped+remark)
I will be resitting modules in January to bring that up to AAA.

UCL are definitely very big on AS grades. So I don't think you'd have a great chance unless you did brilliantly on the BMAT. That would get you an interview. Then you'd have to do brillantly at the interview. And it appears that the UCL interview is a bit harder than most. From what I've gathered so far at least.
hey everyone :smile: potential applicant here - still haven't decided yet as most of my other choices are pretty high risk so don't want to gamble my them away!
Reply 51
I'm applying.
I will be doing C4, Bio A2 and chem A2.
Is it enough or should I also do another subject?
ragaa
I'm applying.
I will be doing C4, Bio A2 and chem A2.
Is it enough or should I also do another subject?
You need to do another subject if you're only doing C4.
Reply 53
916-CALL-TURK
You need to do another subject if you're only doing C4.

Then I'll have to further maths AS and A2.
ragaa
Then I'll have to further maths AS and A2.
I know two people who got rejected outright for doing the exact thing you're doing.

If you don't declare when you're doing the modules you should be fine, but then UCL get pissy about it (esp. with the no A2 resits thing they're doing now).
Does UCL acknowledge or do they wait to give any type of response until BMAT results?
Reply 56
areyousure?
Does UCL acknowledge or do they wait to give any type of response until BMAT results?

When I applied last year, they acknowledged my application on 16th October. I believe my school sent it on the 15th :rolleyes:
_lynx_
When I applied last year, they acknowledged my application on 16th October. I believe my school sent it on the 15th :rolleyes:

thanks ^^
now I have something to say to those that ask why I check my email and track every five minutes :p:

the waiting should continue....
Reply 58
I applied on the 4th, but didn't get any acknowledgement yet.
Should I worry.
Reply 59
I want some damn acknowledgment. Southampton already sent me an postcard and that was before UCAS even sent me anything.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending