The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Doctor.
It has an awesome night life!!! :biggrin:

Medical students are no fun! :tongue:

Haha I know right!

Original post by Aysha92
Hey, about accommodation, it is ridiculously expensive in Exeter when you move out of halls. Some places are even double what they are in Plymouth.

True. With Exeter, I'd love the luxury but would suffer for it financially. But it's not like we get a choice is it.. :tongue:
emailed exeter university about their new BMBS medicine programme. they want A*AA/AAA and do accept resits if taken within 3 years. They also dont look at GCSE's.. I may apply for 2013 :smile:
Reply 1222
Original post by cobra2k10
emailed exeter university about their new BMBS medicine programme. they want A*AA/AAA and do accept resits if taken within 3 years. They also dont look at GCSE's.. I may apply for 2013 :smile:

That's great! Have you checked Plymouth ? :smile:
Original post by myyrh
That's great! Have you checked Plymouth ? :smile:

yes, i have. they havent got back to me yet :smile:
Reply 1224

Thanks for that.
Did they say who they will want A* from and who they'll want just an A? Do resitters have to have A* in the subject retaken?
Thanks
Original post by Aysha92
Thanks for that.
Did they say who they will want A* from and who they'll want just an A? Do resitters have to have A* in the subject retaken?
Thanks

i dont think so... A* is for normal candidates aswell in any subject... heres the original reply:

Dear Cobra2k10,

Thank you for your email.

In regards to your enquiry, we can consider re-sits of examinations as long as the marks were achieved within three years of applying for the degree.

Whilst our assessors look for well rounded applicants and consider the whole academic profile, unless there are specified required GCSE results then this wouldn’t form part of the entry criteria for the degree programme. For entry onto the Medicine BS/BM we would typically require A*AA-AAA at A Level to include GCE AL Chemistry and either Biology or Physics. Biology must be achieved at a minimum of Grade C at AS level if not studied at AL. Four subjects must be studied at AS level. General Studies is not included in any offer. Further information is available at: http://www.exeter.ac.uk/undergraduate/degrees/medicine/medicine/entry/

Whether or not we can make an offer will depend on a holistic assessment of your application and also on the strength of other applications we receive. Please note that not all applicants who have achieved or are predicted to achieve grades in the typical offer range are guaranteed an offer.

For further details please follow this link: http://www.exeter.ac.uk/undergraduate/applications/offer/

We do not consider any subjects ‘soft’ subjects and base consideration on the grades obtained, unless a programme specifically requires particular subjects. We do not consider A Level General Studies.

If we can be of any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact us.

Yours sincerely

Chris
Admissions Enquiries Administrator

Admissions Office
Laver Building
North Park Road
EXETER EX4 4QE
Reply 1226
Original post by Aysha92
Thanks for that.
Thanks

Well when I emailed peninsula I got the same email in terms of requirements and when I called them they said they didnt need an A* for resit subjects and AAA was fine. The A* is for people who are predicted them. Even though they said this i dont think they gave out any A*AA offers this year.
Reply 1227
i dont think so... A* is for normal candidates aswell in any subject... heres the original reply:

Dear Cobra2k10,

Thank you for your email.

In regards to your enquiry, we can consider re-sits of examinations as long as the marks were achieved within three years of applying for the degree.

Whilst our assessors look for well rounded applicants and consider the whole academic profile, unless there are specified required GCSE results then this wouldn’t form part of the entry criteria for the degree programme. For entry onto the Medicine BS/BM we would typically require A*AA-AAA at A Level to include GCE AL Chemistry and either Biology or Physics. Biology must be achieved at a minimum of Grade C at AS level if not studied at AL. Four subjects must be studied at AS level. General Studies is not included in any offer. Further information is available at: http://www.exeter.ac.uk/undergraduate/degrees/medicine/medicine/entry/

Whether or not we can make an offer will depend on a holistic assessment of your application and also on the strength of other applications we receive. Please note that not all applicants who have achieved or are predicted to achieve grades in the typical offer range are guaranteed an offer.

For further details please follow this link: http://www.exeter.ac.uk/undergraduate/applications/offer/

We do not consider any subjects ‘soft’ subjects and base consideration on the grades obtained, unless a programme specifically requires particular subjects. We do not consider A Level General Studies.

If we can be of any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact us.

Yours sincerely

Chris
Admissions Enquiries Administrator

Admissions Office
Laver Building
North Park Road
EXETER EX4 4QE

Thanks for that, really useful. I'd say plymouth'scriteria will be the same as this. I heard that both Exeter and Plymouth are likely to have the same requirements as peninsula as well as the teaching method for the time being.

Original post by myyrh
Well when I emailed peninsula I got the same email in terms of requirements and when I called them they said they didnt need an A* for resit subjects and AAA was fine. The A* is for people who are predicted them. Even though they said this i dont think they gave out any A*AA offers this year.

Thanks. Yeah I think they'll probably start asking for that from next year when the A* is more popular.
if you apply with achieved grades, what are your predcited grades or are they not put on (may seem like a stupid question, im curious) ??

also, ive heard that peninsula allows you to be in y1 of a medical related degree when applying for medicine. is this true?
Reply 1229
if you apply with achieved grades, what are your predcited grades or are they not put on (may seem like a stupid question, im curious) ??

also, ive heard that peninsula allows you to be in y1 of a medical related degree when applying for medicine. is this true?

No predicted grades if you already have achieved ones. Peninsula does not allow you to apply if you are in a medicine degree. I think a medically related one like clinical science is fine though.
Hey guys, I am thinking about doing one of those Easter revision courses for summers exams. Any suggestions of good courses I can look into?? thanks
Reply 1231
Any resitters considering southampton? :smile:
Reply 1232
Original post by areyousure?
Hey guys, I am thinking about doing one of those Easter revision courses for summers exams. Any suggestions of good courses I can look into?? thanks

Never done them but I think I've heard of Kaplan doing them kind of courses. They have videos on youtube too I think or they do for like anatomy and all.
Reply 1233
Got an offer for Lancaster :biggrin::biggrin:D:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
Reply 1234
Original post by aj2010
Got an offer for Lancaster :biggrin::biggrin:D:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

WAHEY CONGRATS :biggrin: did you get it just now? Two offers! very pleased for you :cool: So which is your firm then :rolleyes:?
Reply 1235
Original post by myyrh
WAHEY CONGRATS :biggrin: did you get it just now? Two offers! very pleased for you :cool: So which is your firm then :rolleyes:?

I got it last thursday, on results day. Was an amazing day aha :smile:. I think Southampton would be my best choice. What do you think?.
Reply 1236
Original post by aj2010
I got it last thursday, on results day. Was an amazing day aha :smile:. I think Southampton would be my best choice. What do you think?.

Well It's really up to you :smile: I have never been to Southampton so I would probably be more inclined to Lancaster. Which method of teaching do you prefer? as each school is very different in that respect.
Hi I'm a sucess story
Got BBBB in bio chem maths and geog last year
got predicted A*AAA (A* in Maths)
Had two interviews from liverpool and uea
Got an offer from UEA (A*AA)
STill waiting o hear from Liveerpool but thats an AAA offer if u get one
Got results last week
got A*A*AA in Bio Chem Maths Geog respectively
Somehow lol
Also did alright in UKCAT and had pretty good GCSE's
Hanggg in thereee :biggrin: Its such a good feeling when you get in and well worth the stress :smile: Good luck xxxx
I'm so jealous of all you guys will the grades after resits! I am really not happy with myself and don't know how I am going to get my two Bs up to As in the next exams in June. Any tips would be greatly appreciated, feeling a bit down lately.

Thanks and congrats to all those who made it!!
Reply 1239
Original post by omnomnom1234
Hi I'm a sucess story
Got BBBB in bio chem maths and geog last year
got predicted A*AAA (A* in Maths)
Had two interviews from liverpool and uea
Got an offer from UEA (A*AA)
STill waiting o hear from Liveerpool but thats an AAA offer if u get one
Got results last week
got A*A*AA in Bio Chem Maths Geog respectively
Somehow lol
Also did alright in UKCAT and had pretty good GCSE's
Hanggg in thereee :biggrin: Its such a good feeling when you get in and well worth the stress :smile: Good luck xxxx

Wow congrats man :biggrin: which subject did UEA want the A* in? and if you got Liverpool, which would be your first choice?

Latest

Trending

Trending