The Student Room Group

Further Maths

I was strongly advised by my maths teacher to do further maths this year (going into year 12) as i got an A* in GCSE and an A* in Additional Maths. However this would mean that i would have to do 5 A level subjects as i also am doing Physics, Chemistry and Business Studies as well. Is it worth the extra pressure of 5 A levels if i get an A or A* in further maths, and i don't think i will do maths at uni as i am thinking of doing science or engineering degree. I could drop business but it's something i really enjoy and i got an A* for it in GCSE. Any advice would be really helpful.
Reply 1
I would say go for it!

Further maths is a great A Level and is my personal favourite :love:

If Anything, don't bother with business, as this is seen as a weak subject :yep:
I'd personally say drop Business Studies. Or perhaps take all 5 for the start of the year, see which one you don't like and drop one after that :smile:
Economics is a strong subject, but Business is less so.
If you want to do engineering, further maths will massively help you get an offer especially for the top unis. Drop business and take further maths.
I'm also going to do Further Maths as a fifth AS. As far as I'm concerned, I'm going to see how it goes, and drop it if I can't cope. I won't lose anything by doing that, but if I find I love it, well, that's an added bonus :p:
Plus it leaves doors open if I decide I want to go and do maths at university if I fail to get into medicine.
Definitely - if you got an A* in additional maths, you will be bored to tears in normal maths (you will already know pretty much everything in C1 and C2, and most of M1 and S1 too).

If you're interested in engineering, and eventually decide not to do further maths, maybe have a look at OCR's certificate of maths for engineering?

Related documents ~
Specification
UCAS's view
Saf94
I was strongly advised by my maths teacher to do further maths this year (going into year 12) as i got an A* in GCSE and an A* in Additional Maths. However this would mean that i would have to do 5 A level subjects as i also am doing Physics, Chemistry and Business Studies as well. Is it worth the extra pressure of 5 A levels if i get an A or A* in further maths, and i don't think i will do maths at uni as i am thinking of doing science or engineering degree. I could drop business but it's something i really enjoy and i got an A* for it in GCSE. Any advice would be really helpful.

Ive just finished my first year and did 5: Maths, Further, Economics, Physics + Music Tech. Got A for maths + fm, A in Eco, B in physics, and a C in music tech which my teacher is contacting the exam board about and pushing to get remarked as it is coursework based and he believes it was an A.

If i were you i would do all 5, as you shouldnt drop something you enjoy + Further Maths is highly respected, if you can stick it out this year you will have already bagged an A level which will impress universities, then you can drop it (unless you really like it) and carry on with the others for your 2nd year. Its quite alot of work but will leave your options open and make you alot more competitive, and if you can take the pressure this year next year in theory will be alot easier if you decide to do what ive said above. With A* at GCSE you should be fine, i got A and U in our additional maths but managed to get A this year, but then again i basically didnt bother with GCSE.
Reply 7
Thanks for the advice, apparently i am not going to get any free periods if i do 5 subjects, is this true? i was planning on using those to go over things i had done in class. Will this be a problem as this may mean that i will be doing alot of work at home and on weekends.
Saf94
Thanks for the advice, apparently i am not going to get any free periods if i do 5 subjects, is this true? i was planning on using those to go over things i had done in class. Will this be a problem as this may mean that i will be doing alot of work at home and on weekends.

This is just my and my friends' experience, but if you're in a town school/college, frees are great, but if you're in a rural area, they're boring as **** - everyone at my place soon realised that it was utterly wasted time, and that they could have done much more with those two years of life and have been learning 25% more, simply by doing another subject.
Reply 9
placenta medicae talpae
This is just my and my friends' experience, but if you're in a town school/college, frees are great, but if you're in a rural area, they're boring as **** - everyone at my place soon realised that it was utterly wasted time, and that they could have done much more with those two years of life and have been learning 25% more, simply by doing another subject.

Actually i was planning on using my frees to go over what i had done in class which would have made my life much easier as anything i didn't understand i could practice or go ask my teacher about. With 5 subjects and no frees i am afraid that my i will have to work loads and my grades might suffer, still i will see how it goes for a week or two and decide but if anyone who has experience of this could give me some advice that would be great :smile:
Saf94

hmm if you want to do engineering or science, i would say drop business studies, chemistry isnt needed either unless you do chemENG, but chem is nice for all types of engineering i think.

tbh you should do atleast maths, physics, further maths
Reply 11
Btw do you think i will find further maths hard, seeing as i got A* in maths and additional maths and i consider myself a whiz in maths will i find it hard?
Reply 12
Drop business studies and take on Further Maths.
Several other people have already said it but ditch the business studies in favour of further maths.

Latest