The Student Room Group

Resits information and questions

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Hi,
I've heard that some unis are wanting AS results with the UCAS application, as well as this they ask that resits will not be accepted, is there any way round this? If I did an A2 in a year and want to resit a module will this have any effect?
Reply 21
Okay, so I have just been checking with loads of independant colleges/sixth forms/educational centres, and they are all asking for £70 to £100 just to take the exam. When I retook a module at school last year for AS, it was only £14 or something?!

Now my plan is to just study at home and retake the exam somewhere. I dont come from a rich family and I plan to work this year in order to enable myself to live in another country for a few months before Uni.

So why is it so expensive?

and

Does anyone know any place where it would be cheaper?
adam_zed
Okay, so I have just been checking with loads of independant colleges/sixth forms/educational centres, and they are all asking for £70 to £100 just to take the exam. When I retook a module at school last year for AS, it was only £14 or something?!

Now my plan is to just study at home and retake the exam somewhere. I dont come from a rich family and I plan to work this year in order to enable myself to live in another country for a few months before Uni.

and

In independent colleges, sixth forms and educational centres, you pay for your education. I assume you go to a state school. Your school paid for the entrance fee, the production cost of the paper, the delivery cost of the paper, and for the opportunity for you to get another go. The £14 was what the school thought would be fair for you to pay, since you don't pay for your education.
Reply 23
adam_zed

and

I am having the same problem as you the cheapest I could find was £70 for a unit. I have now found a place which is charging £49-£55 per unit which is better.
They want to make money?
I went to a state school it still costed **** loads (£50)
Reply 26
I got B in CIE Alevel math. My teacher thought that this result is ridiculous for me as I am quite good in this subject. He suggested me to ask for remark the paper. will this be possiblely change my grade?

And I consider to retake the exam in Nov this year. And the results will release in Jan next year. The problem is I will apply for university in Oct. Will the resit-exam-result affect my UCAS coniditional offer?
Reply 27
Because if you are not a student there then they feel no moral obligation to subsidise the cost of you sitting the paper/they just want to make money off you. Crazy amount though!
Duckzilla
In independent colleges, sixth forms and educational centres, you pay for your education. I assume you go to a state school. Your school paid for the entrance fee, the production cost of the paper, the delivery cost of the paper, and for the opportunity for you to get another go. The £14 was what the school thought would be fair for you to pay, since you don't pay for your education.

No, £14 is what the exam board charge to enter for 1 exam, including production costs etc (it varies a bit between boards and subjects). Any extra is what the school or college charge. If they have to invigilate your exam on your own, fair enough. If you are being invigilated with other candidates, they are simply making a profit out of you.
Reply 29
Jamil1987
I am having the same problem as you the cheapest I could find was £70 for a unit. I have now found a place which is charging £49-£55 per unit which is better.

Can I ask where this is?
Reply 30
The GCSE retakes in our school were like £60 each. :zomg: And this was a state school.
Reply 31
Duckzilla

"my plan is to stay at home and study"

I dont want their education, just a place to sit the exam.
adam_zed
"my plan is to stay at home and study"

I dont want their education, just a place to sit the exam.

Since you're not attached to a school, no school has a personal tie to you to cut the costs. You are paying for the papers like anyone else who doesn't get their school to pay.
I went to a private school but we only had to pay about £15 for each exam we wanted to sit. (Obviously + fees but they don't vary depending on what exams you do)

Edit: had to change to past tense :ninja:
Reply 34
Duckzilla
Since you're not attached to a school, no school has a personal tie to you to cut the costs. You are paying for the papers like anyone else who doesn't get their school to pay.

So you are telling me that it costs £70-£100 for the paper, Invigilator (to be shared by at least 30), exam board fees?
adam_zed
So you are telling me that it costs £70-£100 for the paper, Invigilator (to be shared by at least 30), exam board fees?

No, I'm telling you how much places charge, not what it actually costs in real life. You're not a student of their school, they have no connection to you. You pay for the privilege of them letting you use their place to sit their exam, they don't have to let you.
Reply 36
Duckzilla
No, I'm telling you how much places charge, not what it actually costs in real life. You're not a student of their school, they have no connection to you. You pay for the privilege of them letting you use their place to sit their exam, they don't have to let you.

I dont get it? Are you telling me to be grateful as they are kindly allowing me to use their facilities and that I should be thankful, no matter how much they charge me?
adam_zed
I dont get it? Are you telling me to be grateful as they are kindly allowing me to use their facilities and that I should be thankful, no matter how much they charge me?

Yes, that's basically what I'm saying. It's not fair, but it's what happens. Without them (or another centre that still charges you a lot of money), you can't sit the exams, which means you can't get qualified. They don't have to let you use their place as you're not connected with them, and for the privilege you pay what they want. They're taking advantage of you, but they know you either really want or need these qualifications, and are quite ready to cash in on you due to that.
adam_zed

Well in part because you can't sit an exam without them and because they have no obligation to potentially have their average grade brought down by a student they haven't taught.

They are making profit on you but all the colleges around my area won't let people they haven't had experience teaching sit the exam unless there are exceptional circumstances.
In my country GCSE,AS,A=100 regardless of of its your first sitting or not.

Quick Reply

Latest