The Student Room Group

Nottingham Medicine Applicants 2011

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1580
Original post by Organ
Oxford and Cambridge always get loads of **** from the press and government over 'unfair admissions' - yet the way Oxbridge select candidates (for nearly all subjects they interview 90%ish of people, really clear about how they select you, really helpful - I know that because I considered applying to Ox for medicine and rang up admissions and spoke to a lovely women for about 10 minutes - compared to the abrubt and unhelpful answers I got when I asked Notts about the UKCAT), plus they don't make such a big deal out of an unproven test (because I think Oxbridge care a lot more about getting individuals they want - rather than just a bunch of decent people with high numbers) is much fairer than other hard to get into courses like medicine at most places.

I have some non-medic mates who have applied to Cambridge, and the SAQ - and the way admissions inform them of what is going on puts most medical schools to shame.

I agree with everything you just said.

Oxford have a 'cut-off' system as you know with BMAT/GCSE scores, but afterwards they sit down and review every application to see if anybody that didn't meet the cut-off would be a good doctor and then invite them to interview. It's brilliant.
Reply 1581
Original post by InItToWinItGetIt?
How many applications did they get this year? Was it a rise?

Say for argument purposes, the 'smartest' people got that high in the UKCAT. Why would they apply to an AAB uni though? Wouldn't they be more inclined to apply to more 'prestigious' unis? No disrespect to Sheffield but I doubt my uncle in India will have heard of it lol

No idea. I asked but they said they don't release the info until later in the cycle.

Insurance I guess!
I like the fact that Cambridge interview 90% of applicants too .. obviously not possible for all unis due to the numbers of people applying. But atleast they give everyone a chance to shine off paper. And its made clear - you need >90%UMS in AS for 4 subjects and a BMAT score of above 5.2 in both sections (ie BB) to get an interview in the first place.

Thought id chip in with cambridge due to compliments oxford are getting :tongue:
Original post by englishman129
I like the fact that Cambridge interview 90% of applicants too .. obviously not possible for all unis due to the numbers of people applying. But atleast they give everyone a chance to shine off paper. And its made clear - you need >90%UMS in AS for 4 subjects and a BMAT score of above 5.2 in both sections (ie BB) to get an interview in the first place.

Thought id chip in with cambridge due to compliments oxford are getting :tongue:

I assume that's a 90% average at AS not 90% in all individual modules? The latter would be pretty ridiculous.
Reply 1584
Original post by Mira1
congrats =) u knw for why nottingham on the questionnaire? did u put cos of the 2 degrees?

Thanks =]

Luckily I print screened all of my answers to the questionnaire :cool:

"General structure and style of course"
Reply 1585
I assume that's a 90% average at AS not 90% in all individual modules? The latter would be pretty ridiculous.

One of my best mates has applied for Cambridge Maths with, 96%, 94%, 98%, 98% UMS grades.
Reply 1586
How does Cambridge deal with re-applicants, i.e. if you already have A2 results?
Reply 1587
Original post by Beska
Congrats! Looks like the ball is rolling again!

Thanks! =]

Original post by Beska
I think that was my problem last year. :frown:

+ my problem with Sheffield this year.

Uh, don't even mention Sheffield, last year the cut off was 685 I think? Thought I was in with a chance, but no =[
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Organ
One of my best mates has applied for Cambridge Maths with, 96%, 94%, 98%, 98% UMS grades.

Haha one of my friends also applied there. He did Maths 1 year early and got 599/600. Crazy.

I didn't know >90% UMS was needed for other courses too? :s-smilie:
Reply 1589
Original post by Organ
Yeah exactly, I can see my application being top 50%, just not top 30% *who get the interviews).

Well done - just calculated you have a 690 UKCAT and have 100%A* :colondollar: This is what I mean - higher UKCAT by 30 and 12.5% higher GCSE grades - I'm not attacking you, I'm just outclassed! well done - hope it goes well and you get an offer :smile:

Thanks very much, but your application may be stronger in other respects - personal statement for example? I'm outclassed by a lot of other people I see on these forums too, so if I were you wouldn't give up hope at all.

They look at every module mark seperatley, including resits taken (UMS) on ure SAQ form. So they dont get an average of the subject when submitted, they just get all ure modules taken with marks.
But technically they say its an average of 90%...probly just work out average themselves.
Haha hilarious of this is a Nottingham medicine thread :biggrin: lol

(I'm at fault for a lot of this)
Original post by Beska
How does Cambridge deal with re-applicants, i.e. if you already have A2 results?

They say 'they take pay close attention to someone who's been rejected once from the university'. But if you apply to another College it should be ok. Know a few ppl who got in for med second time applying to a different college.
Reply 1593
Haha one of my friends also applied there. He did Maths 1 year early and got 599/600. Crazy.

STEPS sounds horrible! Yeah, they might be a bit more leniant with artsey subjects - where it's easy to mess up an essay, but I can see with sciences (and especially med) that high UMS is important.
Original post by Organ
STEPS sounds horrible! Yeah, they might be a bit more leniant with artsey subjects - where it's easy to mess up an essay, but I can see with sciences (and especially med) that high UMS is important.

Heard it's madness. The same mate was saying he was struggling with STEP. He got an offer from Warwick of A*A*A (Maths, F. Maths + Physics) and I think, a 2 in STEP.

i did maths a year early :smile:
Original post by Beska
725. :indiff:

Up like 45 or something on last year.

Jeez - seriously?? That's pretty high - I wonder what the national average score is then?
Heard it's madness. The same mate was saying he was struggling with STEP. He got an offer from Warwick of A*A*A (Maths, F. Maths + Physics) and I think, a 2 in STEP.

STEP is hard.... its just a different way of dealing with questions....

the whole point of oxbridge style thinking i guess... "outside the box"

I got asked this for my biochem interview, see if u guys can have a shot :P

"When giving certain drugs intravenously you cant make assumptions on blood volume of a person. You need to know the EXACT volume of blood in a person. How would you measure it exactly?"

NB: this was following a question on a moles calculation where i said there was 5L if blood in the body
Reply 1598
Original post by anaphylactic
Jeez - seriously?? That's pretty high - I wonder what the national average score is then?

It went down by 5 points lol.
Original post by Beska
It went down by 5 points lol.

why did sheffield move theres up by 45 points -.-

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending