The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JayTeeKay
Unlucky man. I will no doubt be joining you in a few days. I wish they'd just hurry up.
Can I ask what your grades were/what you're predicted? If I convince myself I never had a chance in the first place, it won't be that much of a let down :biggrin:

Yours are definetly better than mine, I got ABBB for AS (no further maths either :frown: )

Predicted AAAB by teachers however I feel I'm capable of A*AAB or A*A*AB

I think they must of liked my PS as I made it this far with not the best AS grades, what are your grades like?
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 4421
Just got my rejection today for Physics MPhys, kinda wish I had applied for the BSc now, might have had more of a chance.

I just wish they had replied earlier so I could focus on my making a decision on my other offers :/
Original post by iFear x
Just got my rejection today for Physics MPhys, kinda wish I had applied for the BSc now, might have had more of a chance.

I just wish they had replied earlier so I could focus on my making a decision on my other offers :/

Same for me :frown: I applied for BSc and it didn't save me :tongue:

I agree with the earlier decision, I got my hopes a little when I'd made it into march...
Original post by Phil1541
Yours are definetly better than mine, I got ABBB for AS (no further maths either :frown: )

Predicted AAAB by teachers however I feel I'm capable of A*AAB or A*A*AB

I think they must of liked my PS as I made it this far with not the best AS grades, what are your grades like?

AAAAB in chemistry, physics, geology, German and maths, + an A in gen.studies (AS levels). Crucially, my B was in maths (high Bs in C1 and C2 and a mediocre A in D1 meant I missed my A by 4 marks!!!). I don't think Bs in the maths pure units will impress anyone.
Predicted A* in chem (like that's going to happen!) and AA in maths and physics, and my GCSEs weren't too shabby, so maybe they'll let me slip through.
On the other hand, having re-read my perosnal statement, it doesn't exactly have the wow factor. My references were good, but I think my maths grades and my PS could let me down.
I wish I'd applied for Bristol. Didn't realise how good they are for physics until recently. Once I get my Durham rejection It'll be Warwick as my firm and York as my insurance.
Original post by rvp-fan1
what college did you apply for? and yes three language people :smile:

I applied for castle and got it, super lucky :smile: How about you? Sorry if it already says it somewhere here...
Reply 4425
Original post by playxsailxliv
I applied for castle and got it, super lucky :smile: How about you? Sorry if it already says it somewhere here...

ahh that's gonna be sick for you!!
i'm so excited!! just gotta make sure we dont miss the grades
ahh that's gonna be sick for you!!
i'm so excited!! just gotta make sure we dont miss the grades

Yeahhh really I'm completely freaking out about the whole concept haha. I do IB and so I've been trying to calculate exactly what I need to get on each exam to make/surpass the offer. It's absolutely doing my head in. What was your offer?
Original post by FruitBombs

Ahh is that monday to tuesday?

On the map Collingwood sent me, it shows the train station is right next to the university. Is this the main train station in Durham? As in, if I buy a train ticket to 'Durham', will the train stop at the station outside the uni?

My letter for the open days said they were running a bus service from the train station to the hill colleges between certain times in the evenings before the open days.
Ahh is that monday to tuesday?

On the map Collingwood sent me, it shows the train station is right next to the university. Is this the main train station in Durham? As in, if I buy a train ticket to 'Durham', will the train stop at the station outside the uni?

Yeah monday to tuesday

As far as I'm aware that's the Durham train station. It's not rare for me to be completely wrong though haha
Reply 4429
Yeahhh really I'm completely freaking out about the whole concept haha. I do IB and so I've been trying to calculate exactly what I need to get on each exam to make/surpass the offer. It's absolutely doing my head in. What was your offer?

ahh samee,
yeah mine is AAB
but cos i'm already doing all three i have to get them in my languages
ahhh cant wait
are you going up on the open day?
ahh samee,
yeah mine is AAB
but cos i'm already doing all three i have to get them in my languages
ahhh cant wait
are you going up on the open day?

You're already doing all three?? That's so cool, jealous :smile: I wish I were going to the open day but unfortunately it's quite a long flight from DC to Durham, quite pricy too. So although I've never been there I'm just kinda hoping it'll suit, I'm sure it will. :smile:
Reply 4431
You're already doing all three?? That's so cool, jealous :smile: I wish I were going to the open day but unfortunately it's quite a long flight from DC to Durham, quite pricy too. So although I've never been there I'm just kinda hoping it'll suit, I'm sure it will. :smile:

DC, as in Washington DC? bloody hell that's far!
are any of your other friends applying to british unis?
Reply 4432

Hi what was your IB offer and what did you apply for??
Congrats on getting into castle by the way! I applied there too. What did you include in your ps?
Anyone heard from anthropology and sociology recently? still waiting .........
DC, as in Washington DC? bloody hell that's far!
are any of your other friends applying to british unis?

Yeahh it's quite far away, but I love it here :smile:
Yeah well I go to a british international school, so quite a few actually, as many of them are here with the embassy, world bank, exxon mobile etc. and are going back home next year.
Original post by vms
Hi what was your IB offer and what did you apply for??
Congrats on getting into castle by the way! I applied there too. What did you include in your ps?

My offer was a 36 and a 6 in french with the full diploma, so relatively low I was lucky. I've applied for the modern languages course to do French, Spanish and Russian.

Thanks :smile: I hope you get it, it seems lovely. In my PS I talked about what has made me want to study languages (a few examples, mostly to do with growing up in DC and going to an international school and a bit about my family background as well as an immersion programme I signed up for back in the days when I was failing my french GCSE haha). Then I talked specifically about French, what I have enjoyed learning and what I'm keen to learn and talked about the same with Russian. I also talked about my extracurricular stuff which was mostly my sailing and being head girl. Then I wrapped it up with what I wanted to accomplish as an undergraduate.

What have you applied for?
Reply 4436
Has anyone received an offer from the Management Department?
application recieved by college.... (suspense is really killing me now) :tongue:
Reply 4438
anyone still waiting for history?
Reply 4439
Original post by Camilla-
Has anyone received an offer from the Management Department?

hey
i got an offer for MA management

Latest