The Student Room Group

How to be a good student.. Help please

I want to study medicine... and all this time at school, I have never really worked to my full potential. When I was a lot younger and had no distractions like facebook, friends, parties etc and topped my year in everything. Since I entered secondary school, I've just relied on my intelligence and crammed/'winged it' for exams and class tests.
This year, I managed to scrape through my AS's with the required grades for medicine, and I've realized how much I've slacked when I see that the people I was once competing with/doing better than are now in a way better place than me academically.
Reasons for this: I'm lazy, INCREDIBLY disorganised (I've always been this way) and find it impossible to stay on top of my work. I LOVE working under pressure, and I find that I have long periods of time where I just sit around, watch tv, read, tsr and then series of all-nighters trying to catch up with everything.
This year (A2s) I want to put it all behind me and get into good study habits for uni. But I'm finding it so difficult - Keeping organized is a NIGHTMARE first of all, I'm always forgetting my school timetable/what homework we have/what day it is! I have a rep for this kind of thing at school. When I do start working for something, it takes me ages. Writing notes is a nightmare because I can't summarise to save my life and end up writing an extended version of the chapter! It took me 5 hours to revise for a class test yesterday and I still didn't do well!
Sorry for this long nightmare of a msg, but does anyone have any advice on how to be a good student? e.g. how to write notes/keep on top of things/revise perfectly for tests?

Thanks
duskflower
I want to study medicine... and all this time at school, I have never really worked to my full potential. When I was a lot younger and had no distractions like facebook, friends, parties etc and topped my year in everything. Since I entered secondary school, I've just relied on my intelligence and crammed/'winged it' for exams and class tests.
This year, I managed to scrape through my AS's with the required grades for medicine, and I've realized how much I've slacked when I see that the people I was once competing with/doing better than are now in a way better place than me academically.
Reasons for this: I'm lazy, INCREDIBLY disorganised (I've always been this way) and find it impossible to stay on top of my work. I LOVE working under pressure, and I find that I have long periods of time where I just sit around, watch tv, read, tsr and then series of all-nighters trying to catch up with everything.
This year (A2s) I want to put it all behind me and get into good study habits for uni. But I'm finding it so difficult - Keeping organized is a NIGHTMARE first of all, I'm always forgetting my school timetable/what homework we have/what day it is! I have a rep for this kind of thing at school. When I do start working for something, it takes me ages. Writing notes is a nightmare because I can't summarise to save my life and end up writing an extended version of the chapter! It took me 5 hours to revise for a class test yesterday and I still didn't do well!
Sorry for this long nightmare of a msg, but does anyone have any advice on how to be a good student? e.g. how to write notes/keep on top of things/revise perfectly for tests?

Thanks

I have one big ass folder for every subject, and clear it out into keep-at-home sub folders once every couple of weeks. try that.
although I made not a single note last year, revising only from books & the internet, and I did OK in my ASs.

You can't summarise; don't. cutting out detail actually doesn't help.
Reply 2
Get one of those notebooks, with the dates in, like a planner or something and then just write down when you have homework, what it is, who for and when it's due in? Write your timetable in as well.

Write a study timetable - I would say essential if you're doing medicine as you'll be doing sciences(?) as far as I am aware. Study maybe a subject a night for an hour or so, when it comes closer to exam time increase the time and you'll be fine.

Organising stuff doesn't have to be hard, and it'll work out for you. If you want to create a revision timetable online it'll do it automatically for you, if you're lazy, just enter the subjects - their exams and how long you want to study for.

:smile:
Reply 3
Get one of those notebooks, with the dates in, like a planner or something and then just write down when you have homework, what it is, who for and when it's due in? Write your timetable in as well.

Write a study timetable - I would say essential if you're doing medicine as you'll be doing sciences(?) as far as I am aware. Study maybe a subject a night for an hour or so, when it comes closer to exam time increase the time and you'll be fine.

Organising stuff doesn't have to be hard, and it'll work out for you. If you want to create a revision timetable online it'll do it automatically for you, if you're lazy, just enter the subjects - their exams and how long you want to study for.

:smile:

Latest