The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Anonymous
I am from a Muslim country and my family is also Muslim, but they do not practice it. I have a problem because I hate Islam and Muslims, and I do not feel comfortable with my surname as it is a Muslim surname.

But then I am in a dilemma because it is my family surname and has been so for so many generations, so idk. What would you do if you were me?

Should I change my surname or just leave it?

You say you hate Islam and Muslims, so does that mean you also hate your own family? and the people in your country? and your grandparents and ancestors? Yeah think about what you're saying.

I have an Arabic surname and I like it.
Reply 41
who cares about you? why you come on a forum to post such a pathetic so called "dilemma" of yours......

change your name, change your religion, the day you die you will be accountable, then please dont cry and ask to go back but take it like a man.....which you wont be able to
Can you change your looks? No
So changing a name that is only letter on paper isn't going to make a difference.
Just my opinion.

But if you're really thinking about it, consider the cost. I changed my first name by deedpoll and, in total, it's cost me about £150 because of new licenses and whatnot I've had to buy.
What are you going to do about your Muslim face? Change that as well? God, you're insecure. :rofl:
Reply 44
Magic_007
Actually job discrimination on the basis of being Muslim in the US has increased. In addition to this, in the UK, the government conducted a study whereby they sent many job applications to various companies across the UK of which they were a number of non-white British names and white British names that 'applied'. The results acquired from this study clearly depicted that the latter was more preferred as they recieved the most postive responses.

Hmm is that really surprising? Surely if you did the same kind of experiment in a country like China Chinese sounding names would be more likely to get jobs?
Anonymous
This is why I hate Muslims, you are all so abusive and cannot respect anyone of a different belief.

Yes I know there is a difference between Islamic and Arabic. My name is a strictly Islamic name, and I am not from an Arab country. Idiot.

That's a little hypocritical, considering that you are abusing someone else for not respecting people of different beliefs yet you're the one who said you hate Muslims... ?
And no one called you an Arab, he said Asian.

If you want to change your surname, go ahead and do so.
Reply 46
Uzzy?
Your family aren't Muslims if they do not practise Islam.

you have no right to say that. anyone who calls themselves a muslim is a muslim, only God decides who is and isn't a muslim, we aren't in a position to make judgement on these things
SomaliMan
There's a difference between Islamic and Arabic you idiot, like Jamil is Arabic and even Christians use this name.

Secondly, how many people here are athiests does that mean they want to change their names because they hate their ex-religion?

You're a pathetic self-hating troll (I mean I know of Muslims that convert to other religions but does that mean that you have to hate Muslims?).

He probably doesn't hate muslims because he's changed religions; he said in the OP that his family don't practise Islam which probably means he never has.

OP - a name is a name. It's part of your identity. If it was me, I'd keep it purely because of the historical value of the name. However if it makes you feel uncomfortable then change it.

Don't think too much into it. People don't go 'AHMED? OMFD RUN AWAY!!'.

Persephone.
What are you going to do about your Muslim face? Change that as well? God, you're insecure. :rofl:

Muslim face? :rofl:
Idiot.
(edited 13 years ago)
Aj12
Hmm is that really surprising? Surely if you did the same kind of experiment in a country like China Chinese sounding names would be more likely to get jobs?

China is not as diverse as UK.

It has many ethnic groups specific to ASIA.

You don't see a large group of Arabs, Europeans, Blacks, or Latinos anywhere in China.
(edited 13 years ago)
Which country are you from?

What's your surname?
Reply 50
4TSR
People hardly judge people by their surname... so people with Muslim surnames don't get jobs? It will not make you less of a Muslim if you change your name. I don't know why you hate Islam and why you want to change it exactly, but changing it wont make you less Muslim.

P.S: you mean Arabic surname not Muslim right? since "Islam" is not a language...

:yep: And Arabic doesn't mean Muslim OP
Reply 51
Annoying-Mouse

If you want change your name, do it. If you don't want to, don't. What does tradition mean to you? What does your name symbolise to you? From what I can tell not something positive, ergo change it.

PS, don't be too judgemental. Some Muslims are religious nutters others are ok. You can hate Islam because there are a lot of things that people can hate about it as with any ideology not just Islam, but don't judge the followers. They may not necessarily follow that ideologies beliefs.

I hate to be pedantic but it's interesting to see you've used a superlative for the negative type of muslim and only "ok" for the better type. Are you trying to suggest practicing muslims can't be great people?
Reply 52
Anonymous
I am from a Muslim country and my family is also Muslim, but they do not practice it. I have a problem because I hate Islam and Muslims, and I do not feel comfortable with my surname as it is a Muslim surname.

But then I am in a dilemma because it is my family surname and has been so for so many generations, so idk. What would you do if you were me?

Should I change my surname or just leave it?

With all due respect, no you shouldn't change it becasue that would be ridiculous.

I feel sorry for you I really do. I just blame your parents

But the question still remains: Did your parents change their surnames because they felt the same as you do?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 53
It doesn't matter what your motives are, if you don't feel comfortable having it, change it. Yes is that simple.

(it's Muhammad though huh? I bet it is )
Reply 54
I'd feel ill if I were in your position so I think you should change it, but it's up to you.
Reply 55
int_applicant
rubbish..absolute rubbish.,...what world do you leave in......??

People form an instant opinion about you based on your name...it is a trend in today's' society..... Turn in a resume for a job and the first thing the recruiter does is look at your name...

So someone with an Arabic surname is less likely to get a job than one with a western one?
Reply 56
zxh800
I hate to be pedantic but it's interesting to see you've used a superlative for the negative type of muslim and only "ok" for the better type. Are you trying to suggest practicing muslims can't be great people?

He should have said some muslims are religious nutters, the majority are ok, and there are some who are great people. This goes for every category you wish to group people into though.
Reply 57
4TSR
So someone with an Arabic surname is less likely to get a job than one with a western one?

It's sad but probably true. Given two identical applications (excluding the name) the western named guy would probably get picked.
Persephone.

What in the name of God is a Muslim face LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL ?
Reply 59
4TSR

Probably more likely because employers have the incentive to look 'fair' and 'multicultural'.

Latest

Trending

Trending