The Student Room Group

Work experience at a primary school

Hi I need some advice on something.

Starting from next Monday i'm doing work experience at a primary school. (The year group that I will be working with is unknown as of right now).

How should the students address me? I would much rather the kids just use my first name but my friend said that that would be really weird and that they should call me 'miss' instead.
The thing is, i really hate being called 'miss' because it makes me quite uncomfortable but my friend says that it'll be much more respectful if the students called me that. [The reason I don't like being titled 'miss' is because i prefer 'mx' but my friend doesn't know that and I don't wanna tell her].

So... what should I do for next week? And what should I tell my friend?
I would discuss it with your school and see what they would like from you. In some schools, assistants and support staff commonly go by their first names. The school might be happy for you to go by your first name if that is what you'd prefer, if not, then asking to be called Mx [surname] is perfectly ok. The children may ask why and end up calling you miss anyway because they are children - I'm a Mrs at secondary school, and I still get called Miss - you are ok to correct them.

As for your friend, it's really not their business - you asked their opinion, you're not comfortable with it, that's it. If you want to disclose your preference for 'mx' then that's up to you.
Original post by MelodicGirl2023
Hi I need some advice on something.

Starting from next Monday i'm doing work experience at a primary school. (The year group that I will be working with is unknown as of right now).

How should the students address me? I would much rather the kids just use my first name but my friend said that that would be really weird and that they should call me 'miss' instead.
The thing is, i really hate being called 'miss' because it makes me quite uncomfortable but my friend says that it'll be much more respectful if the students called me that. [The reason I don't like being titled 'miss' is because i prefer 'mx' but my friend doesn't know that and I don't wanna tell her].

So... what should I do for next week? And what should I tell my friend?

Hi @MelodicGirl2023,

I'd check with the school to see if they have a policy/preference for how students should address you. When I volunteered in a primary school to gain experience for my teacher training course, most of the teaching assistants and support staff used their first names and I was happy to go along with them.

When I was training/working as a teacher it was in a different school, and all staff went by their preferred prefix and their surname so I was Miss Brennan or just Miss. I was also called Miss B, Mrs Brennan (I told them I didn't realise I'd got married overnight :tongue:), Mum, and on one occasion Nan!!

If your school would rather staff use their prefixes and surnames, introduce yourself as Mx...right from the start and politely correct staff and students who call you miss. Children are very accepting and will use your preferred name, although they may slip up from time to time (especially those in younger years) and call you miss so a gentle reminder might be necessary.

Have a lovely time in your school :smile:

Amy
University of Suffolk Official Rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending