The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

What an idiot.
happyfeet*
What an idiot.

Who? And why because he is changing his name?
Reply 102
I think this point needs to be reiterated:

Steevee
I love the fact the OP is being given so much stick, when infact, if you convert to Islam it's the norm to change your name to an 'Islamic' one. Whey should it be any different in the reverse?

All these people calling him an idiot, would you say the same if he had an English name and wanted to change it because he became a Muslim? If not, why is it different?
Reply 103
Just refer to yourself as an atheist every time you meet some one.

"Hello, my name is [bla bla] the secular atheist."
Reply 104
If you are not happy with your name and the cultural connotations it carries then just change it. Only small-minded idiots would even care what you chose to call yourself. It should be your decision.
Annoying-Mouse
Who? And why because he is changing his name?

OP. Not name, surname.
happyfeet*
OP. Not name, surname.

So what? Do you criticise Yusuf Islam because he changed his surname? Do you criticise Hamza Yusuf because he changed his surname? Do you criticise Abdalqadir as-Sufi because he changed his surname? Do you criticise Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf because he changed his surname?

I presume you don't because they embraced a new identity (Islam). Their surname symbolises their 'ignorant' past and their new name symbolises a beginning of something new (a rebirth). I am presuming OP has similar feelings. He wants to dissociate himself from Islam the same way that these people dissociated from their individual religions.
Annoying-Mouse
So what? Do you criticise Yusuf Islam because he changed his surname? Do you criticise Hamza Yusuf because he changed his surname? Do you criticise Abdalqadir as-Sufi because he changed his surname? Do you criticise Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf because he changed his surname?

I presume you don't because they embraced a new identity (Islam). Their surname symbolises their 'ignorant' past and their new name symbolises a beginning of something new (a rebirth). I am presuming OP has similar feelings. He wants to dissociate himself from Islam the same way that these people dissociated from their individual religions.

I probably would have if they had changed it for the same reason OP wants to change his. And actually, no I don't agree with them changing their surnames.
Yusuf Islam, Hamza Yusuf etc. changed their name believing that it will help them strengthen their iman and keep on track with the Islamic faith.

This dude dislikes Islam as it is, so keeping his surname the same probably won't affect his opinion on re-embracing Islam in the future.
Take Salman Rushdie for instance, the guy hates everything associated with Islam yet hasn't changed his name to a 'western', 'un-Islamic' name.

Changing his first name is entirely up to him, but changing the surname a name which merely identifies which family you ascend from is just extreme.

Besides, there's no such thing as a 'Muslim' surname. Islam isn't a language.
happyfeet*
Yusuf Islam, Hamza Yusuf etc. changed their name believing that it will help them strengthen their iman and keep on track with the Islamic faith.

Exactly. Also, they didn't change their name exclusively because of that. They change it to dissociate themselves from their 'Christian name'.

happyfeet*
This dude dislikes Islam as it is, so keeping his surname the same probably won't affect his opinion on re-embracing Islam in the future.

It's not about that. He is (presumably) doing it for the same reason that a women who got raped by her father at a young age changes her name. Dissociation.

happyfeet*
Take Salman Rushdie for instance, the guy hates everything associated with Islam yet hasn't changed his name to a 'western', 'un-Islamic' name.

I could easily pick a Muslim that didn't change their name and just insert it into that sentence. It doesn't matter what Salman Rushdie did. He didn't want to, he felt comfortable enough with it. The OP clearly doesn't. Also, Salman Rushdie isn't really an Islamic name.

happyfeet*
Changing his first name is entirely up to him, but changing the surname a name which merely identifies which family you ascend from is just extreme.

No it isn't Again, dissociation. I don't see the point in keeping a tradition that you don't want to be a part of. It's similar to when a person from a mob or historically mob family changes their name to dissociate affiliation to them. He want to dissociate affiliation to Islam.

happyfeet*
Besides, there's no such thing as a 'Muslim' surname. Islam isn't a language.

Yes there is such thing as a Islamic/Muslim surname. It's a name that was popularised by Islam e.g. Mohamed or Ahmed or Abdullah. In fact, Abdullah is a Muslim/Islamic name because it means 'Allah servant'.
(edited 13 years ago)
Annoying-Mouse

Yes there is such thing as a Islamic/Muslim surname. It's a name that was popularised by Islam e.g. Mohamed or Ahmed or Abdullah. In fact, Abdullah is a Muslim/Islamic name because it means 'Allah servant'.

Therefore it's associated to Islam.
Magic_007
Therefore it's associated to Islam.

Oh, I get it.
(edited 13 years ago)
Annoying-Mouse
Oh, I get it.

I have missed arguing with you. So I quoted you.
Annoying-Mouse
Exactly. Also, they didn't change their name exclusively because of that. They change it to dissociate themselves from their 'Christian name'.

I'm not too sure about this as Yusuf Islam still refers to himself as 'Cat Stevens' from time to time.

Annoying-Mouse
It's not about that. He is (presumably) doing it for the same reason that a women who got raped by her father as a young age changes her name. Dissociation.

Kid mentioned he wants to change it because he 'hates Muslims and Islam'. I fail to see the connection between his justification and the example you have just given me.

Annoying-Mouse
I could easily pick a Muslim that didn't change their name and just insert it into that sentence. It doesn't matter what Salman Rushdie did. He didn't want to, he felt comfortable enough with it. The OP clearly doesn't. Also, Salman Rushdie isn't really an Islamic name.

I fail to see your point here as you just used the same tactic I did.
Salman Rushdie is as much of an 'Islamic' name as Mohammed Qasim. Both names are Arabic and generelly used by Muslims.

Annoying-Mouse
No it isn't Again, dissociation. I don't see the point in keeping a tradition that you don't want to be a part of. It's similar to when a person from a mob or historically mob family changes their name to dissociate affiliation to them. He want to dissociate affiliation to Islam.

Tradition doesn't equal religion. Your surname holds no connection to what religion you practice.

Annoying-Mouse

Point approved.

I hate to say this, but you have actually, kinda, convinced me with your argument. Although I still find it rather pathetic, I guess my position is rather biased, and at the end of the day it's entirely up to him what he wants to do with his [sur]name.
happyfeet*
I'm not too sure about this as Yusuf Islam still refers to himself as 'Cat Stevens' from time to time.

He rarely, if any times, refers to himself as Cat Stevens. And when people refer to him as Cat Stevens it's because that was his popular name and they want people to reconginse that it's *the* Cat Stevens.

happyfeet*
Kid mentioned he wants to change it because he 'hates Muslims and Islam'. I fail to see the connection between his justification and the example you have just given me.

The rape victim hates her father. Before you reply to this post read the bottom one.

happyfeet*
I fail to see your point here as you just used the same tactic I did.
Salman Rushdie is as much of an 'Islamic' name as Mohammed Qasim. Both names are Arabic and generelly used by Muslims.

Not it isn't. I showed you it isn't at the last post.

happyfeet*
Tradition doesn't equal religion. Your surname holds no connection to what religion you practice.

It does. For example, now Yusuf Islam if he has any kids surname would be called Islam. And generations after generations there will be Islamic names in the family.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 114
Anonymous
I am from a Muslim country and my family is also Muslim, but they do not practice it. I have a problem because I hate Islam and Muslims, and I do not feel comfortable with my surname as it is a Muslim surname.

But then I am in a dilemma because it is my family surname and has been so for so many generations, so idk. What would you do if you were me?

Should I change my surname or just leave it?

That's a real shame.
I would ask you why you hate Islam and Muslims?
Reply 115
/Insert pointless troll comment here

Latest

Trending

Trending