The Student Room Group

Can i do oral health science degree then dentistry degree

Hi i really want to dentistry but im afraid i cannot get the grades required to get in so i was wondering if i could do the oral health science degree(dental therapist) then apply for dentistry post graduate?
1. will i be able to do it
2. How long will the dental course be if i do a post graduate
3. i heard somewhere on this site that there is a 18month programme from dental therapist to dentistry if this is true please can you tell me how.
4.What requirements are the postgraduate for dentistry.

Many thanks.
Reply 1
Bigmayne
Hi i really want to dentistry but im afraid i cannot get the grades required to get in so i was wondering if i could do the oral health science degree(dental therapist) then apply for dentistry post graduate?
1. will i be able to do it
2. How long will the dental course be if i do a post graduate
3. i heard somewhere on this site that there is a 18month programme from dental therapist to dentistry if this is true please can you tell me how.
4.What requirements are the postgraduate for dentistry.

Many thanks.

Hi there.
Firstly, if you want to go into dentistry postgrad, you are probably better off undertaking a general science degree (ie. Biochem etc) as all universities accept this for a graduate application.
To apply as a graduate, you will need a 2.i or above in your degree, so a 2.i or a first.

If you apply as a graduate, you can apply for one of the 4 year graduate courses (ie. at Kings, Liverpool, ULCAN, Peninsula, QMUL). However, all other 5 year dentistry courses will accept you as well.

Apparently there is a programme that is being trialled whereby those with a dental hygiene and therapy degree can do an 18 month conversion course, however this is not really available at the moment and possibly won't be at all. So you are much better off just doing a science degree and then apply to the 4 year graduate course.

I hope this helps!
Reply 2
gene-ius
Hi there.
Firstly, if you want to go into dentistry postgrad, you are probably better off undertaking a general science degree (ie. Biochem etc) as all universities accept this for a graduate application.
To apply as a graduate, you will need a 2.i or above in your degree, so a 2.i or a first.

If you apply as a graduate, you can apply for one of the 4 year graduate courses (ie. at Kings, Liverpool, ULCAN, Peninsula, QMUL). However, all other 5 year dentistry courses will accept you as well.

Apparently there is a programme that is being trialled whereby those with a dental hygiene and therapy degree can do an 18 month conversion course, however this is not really available at the moment and possibly won't be at all. So you are much better off just doing a science degree and then apply to the 4 year graduate course.

I hope this helps!

When you say graduate do you mean undergraduate or something else because I doubt I can get into a undergraduate course, and can you do my idea of doing oral science degree because I don't want to do biochem thanks.
Reply 3
Bigmayne
When you say graduate do you mean undergraduate or something else because I doubt I can get into a undergraduate course, and can you do my idea of doing oral science degree because I don't want to do biochem thanks.

Studying oral health sciences is not a stepping stone to dentistry, and many uni's will not accept you onto the 4 year graduate course with an oral health sciences degree. You are better off doing a science undergrad. It doesn't have to be biochem, it can be a range of sciences - genetics, neuroscience, anatomy, you name it!

If you do a science degree first, you can apply to dentistry as both a graduate (onto the 4 year course) though you can still apply to the undergraduate 5 year course. That is what I meant by grad/undergrad.
Reply 4
I have the same problem as Bigmayne!! :/

So when you say science undergrad can this be Applied Science.. If yes then HNC OR BSc?

Quick Reply

Latest