The Student Room Group

Dundee Medicine Applicants 2011

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I'm applying. Sent my application on Monday and haven't had my confirmation they recieved it yet :/
Anyone else...?
BigDirty
I'm applying. Sent my application on Monday and haven't had my confirmation they recieved it yet :/
Anyone else...?

Apparently, Dundee take ages to acknowledge. My application went on the 6th and nothing from them as yet. :s-smilie:

You can login to track with your ucas id, username and pwd you had for apply and you should be able to see the status of your application.
(edited 13 years ago)
sweetchilli
Apparently, Dundee take ages to acknowledge. My application went on the 6th and nothing from them as yet. :s-smilie:

You can login to track with your ucas id, username and pwd you had for apply and you should be able to see the status of your application.

So, what did you change St Adrews to? Newcastle? :confused:

And my statuses are all just blank on track, should they all say something?

Yeah, I have also read that Dundee take a long time to acnowledge, so November perhaps.

Anyway, good luck!

What do u guys think of Dundee Medical school?
Yeah, I changed it today via track. Once, you get your welcome letter you can change choices up to 14 days from the date of the letter which is counted as day 1.

On track it states my applcation has been sent for consideration.
(edited 13 years ago)
garlicbreadman
What do u guys think of Dundee Medical school?

I liked it. Integration into Ninewells teaching hospital is a very nice touch. However, a lot of the teaching facilities I saw on the tour including lecture theatres, classrooms and clinical study areas looked a bit out of date...

I would hope they would update them soon because compared to the absolutely spectacular facilities in Aberdeen and Glasgow, Dundee did fall down slightly.

The course structure and content does however sound very good which is the main thing I suppose.
sweetchilli
Yeah, I changed it today via track. Once, you get your welcome letter you can change choices up to 14 days from the date of the letter which is counted as day 1.

On track it states my applcation has been sent for consideration.

Mine says that as well, but only on the welcome page

Caponester
I liked it. Integration into Ninewells teaching hospital is a very nice touch. However, a lot of the teaching facilities I saw on the tour including lecture theatres, classrooms and clinical study areas looked a bit out of date...

I would hope they would update them soon because compared to the absolutely spectacular facilities in Aberdeen and Glasgow, Dundee did fall down slightly.

The course structure and content does however sound very good which is the main thing I suppose.

Lol, I'm glad someone agrees with me!
I thought the course, etc alll sounds good, and the uni itself is supposed to be ver good. But everything did look worn out.
But, if you are spending 5 years there, then surely you want nice facilities. But I am guessing it is only years 1-3 where you will be spending a lot of time in lecture theatres. Did they not say something about an "Upgrade" at the open day?

The new St Andrews Medical building looks stunning

Spoiler

(edited 13 years ago)
garlicbreadman
Lol, I'm glad someone agrees with me!
I thought the course, etc alll sounds good, and the uni itself is supposed to be ver good. But everything did look worn out.
But, if you are spending 5 years there, then surely you want nice facilities. But I am guessing it is only years 1-3 where you will be spending a lot of time in lecture theatres. Did they not say something about an "Upgrade" at the open day?

Yeah, I see where you are coming form but at the end of the day you will want to place course content and structure first. If the facilities are a little outdated then this can be more than compensated for by excellent clinical teaching, good classmates, decent lecturers and a fair assessment structure. You are based on the wards in years 4 and 5 anyway so I think I could tolerate shoddy facilities for 3 years if need be. Trust me, a god awful lecture hall with missing chairs will be the last thing on your mind at 9am in the morning with a terrific hangover!

Besides, I think you're correct about them saying the place was getting a lick of paint. A friend of mine studying at Dundee also confirmed that they were doing the place up a bit so I am fairly satisfied that we won't have to tolerate studying in comparative poverty compared to our colleagues elsewhere :p:

(If we get in to Dundee)
Reply 27
I'm applying there, too :smile: They haven't replied but I've heard they take a long time to send their acknowledgements.
Caponester
Yeah, I see where you are coming form but at the end of the day you will want to place course content and structure first. If the facilities are a little outdated then this can be more than compensated for by excellent clinical teaching, good classmates, decent lecturers and a fair assessment structure. You are based on the wards in years 4 and 5 anyway so I think I could tolerate shoddy facilities for 3 years if need be. Trust me, a god awful lecture hall with missing chairs will be the last thing on your mind at 9am in the morning with a terrific hangover!

Besides, I think you're correct about them saying the place was getting a lick of paint. A friend of mine studying at Dundee also confirmed that they were doing the place up a bit so I am fairly satisfied that we won't have to tolerate studying in comparative poverty compared to our colleagues elsewhere :p:

(If we get in to Dundee)

yeah, course over building any day.
Did you click the spoiler button above on my post?
(edited 13 years ago)
garlicbreadman
yeah, course over building any day.
Did you click the spoiler button above on my post?

Looks good doesn't it! I would have considered St Andrews had they allowed deferred entry but alas, not in my circumstance. It is also an extra year... Don't want to be too old when I graduate!
Caponester

(If we get in to Dundee)

Is dundee that bad???I have to aberdeen and it was nice.How is it compared to aberdeen?Thanks
Reply 31
According to The Guardian Dundee Medical School is ranked 6th and Aberdeen 13th.
Caponester
Don't want to be too old when I graduate!

:rofl2: What age would you be? I'll be 44 if I get in next year so 49 when I graduate. Really don't think you have anything to worry about. BTW why are you deferring? I thought most unis didn't allow it? :o:
I had a dream last night that I got an interview invite from Dundee via email for 2nd December! And I kept checking it to make sure I was seeing it right.:woo:
garlicbreadman
I had a dream last night that I got an interview invite from Dundee via email for 2nd December! And I kept checking it to make sure I was seeing it right.:woo:

i hope your dream comes true!!(so chezzzzzy):p:
(edited 13 years ago)
goodboy4444
i hope your dream comes true!!(so chezzzzzy):p:

Haha...does sound cheesy when you say it like that!
But I also hope my dream comes true!

But thanks! I hope your elusive dream(s) also come true!
(edited 13 years ago)
goodboy4444
Is dundee that bad???I have to aberdeen and it was nice.How is it compared to aberdeen?Thanks

Dundee is not bad, it is just not new like Aberdeen or Glasgow (I have to admit to not visiting Cardiff yet!). Ninewells is a fantastic hospital in terms of size, location and number of specialties on offer but it is also the only teaching hospital in Dundee. You will have to come to terms with this before applying. In Glasgow you have access to ~ twelve different general hospitals plus many other specialty hospitals. However, a few of my friends have actually stated that they'd prefer to remain in one location! So who knows which system is best!

Inside the parts of Dundee medical school that we saw at the open day (and I am more than willing to acknowledge the likelihood that I did not see even half the school) I was distinctly reminded of an old 1980's school. The classrooms looked drab, the corridors dark and there was a lack of what I like to call unnecessary technology - things like samsung TV's hanging from every second wall and shiny transparent solar panels draped over every exterior :p: . I have not even talked about the lecture hall we were in yet either... It was ******* terrible! Where I was sitting there was 4 chairs missing, a desk which could be lifted up and tossed into the crowd below should I so desire and about enough legroom for a double amputee. There was vandalism on the desk that most likely dated from the mid 1990's. It just reminded me of an old high school in Glasgow city centre...

On top of that Dundee is a small city. You have to understand how small it is before you decide to live there for a minimum of five years. I have been told it is a cheap place to live and the night life is semi-decent so these are bonuses! The waterfront has also been regenerated so this area does look very nice. Dundee city centre could do with a bit of regeneration too if I'm honest - it reminds me of what the east end of Glasgow looked like (and still does in some parts) about fifteen years ago.

Long reply, I know but I wrote this as much for myself as for you. I can happily type this rant out and still know that I would pick Dundee in a heartbeat. The course is very well structured and as I already said, I am pretty sure the medical school is being done up a bit. :biggrin:

sweetchilli
What age would you be? I'll be 44 if I get in next year so 49 when I graduate. Really don't think you have anything to worry about. BTW why are you deferring? I thought most unis didn't allow it?

I would be 27 when I graduated from a five year MBChB degree should I gain entry in 2012. I am deferring for a variety of reasons including a 6 week pre-medical placement in India with Gap Medics and will also be travelling down to Cambridge for my pharmacy pre-registration year to work in Cambridge University Hospital's Foundation trust (9 months in hospital and 3 months in primary care working within these new fangled GP led consortiums). Some medical schools do not allow deferred entry (St A's being one of them in my case) but the four I have applied to have stated that as long as you spend your year in a medically related environment and can demonstrate how It will benefit your application you will be given fair consideration. So fingers crossed!
Caponester
Dundee is not bad, it is just not new like Aberdeen or Glasgow (I have to admit to not visiting Cardiff yet!). Ninewells is a fantastic hospital in terms of size, location and number of specialties on offer but it is also the only teaching hospital in Dundee. You will have to come to terms with this before applying. In Glasgow you have access to ~ twelve different general hospitals plus many other specialty hospitals. However, a few of my friends have actually stated that they'd prefer to remain in one location! So who knows which system is best!

Inside the parts of Dundee medical school that we saw at the open day (and I am more than willing to acknowledge the likelihood that I did not see even half the school) I was distinctly reminded of an old 1980's school. The classrooms looked drab, the corridors dark and there was a lack of what I like to call unnecessary technology - things like samsung TV's hanging from every second wall and shiny transparent solar panels draped over every exterior :p: . I have not even talked about the lecture hall we were in yet either... It was ******* terrible! Where I was sitting there was 4 chairs missing, a desk which could be lifted up and tossed into the crowd below should I so desire and about enough legroom for a double amputee. There was vandalism on the desk that most likely dated from the mid 1990's. It just reminded me of an old high school in Glasgow city centre...

On top of that Dundee is a small city. You have to understand how small it is before you decide to live there for a minimum of five years. I have been told it is a cheap place to live and the night life is semi-decent so these are bonuses! The waterfront has also been regenerated so this area does look very nice. Dundee city centre could do with a bit of regeneration too if I'm honest - it reminds me of what the east end of Glasgow looked like (and still does in some parts) about fifteen years ago.

Long reply, I know but I wrote this as much for myself as for you. I can happily type this rant out and still know that I would pick Dundee in a heartbeat. The course is very well structured and as I already said, I am pretty sure the medical school is being done up a bit. :biggrin:

I would be 27 when I graduated from a five year MBChB degree should I gain entry in 2012. I am deferring for a variety of reasons including a 6 week pre-medical placement in India with Gap Medics and will also be travelling down to Cambridge for my pharmacy pre-registration year to work in Cambridge University Hospital's Foundation trust (9 months in hospital and 3 months in primary care working within these new fangled GP led consortiums). Some medical schools do not allow deferred entry (St A's being one of them in my case) but the four I have applied to have stated that as long as you spend your year in a medically related environment and can demonstrate how It will benefit your application you will be given fair consideration. So fingers crossed!

Thanks for that....:yep: !I only picked dundee and aberdeen for the course.Keele and st georges for the location...!But i'll be happy to go anywhere to do medicine.I like small cities...so thats a plus!are there any old buildings like aberdeen or is it very 1970's?Thanks
goodboy4444
Thanks for that....:yep: !I only picked dundee and aberdeen for the course.Keele and st georges for the location...!But i'll be happy to go anywhere to do medicine.I like small cities...so thats a plus!are there any old buildings like aberdeen or is it very 1970's?Thanks

Yeah sure there are a few nice old buildings dotted around plus Dundee is super close to St Andrews so you could jump on the train and head down very easily.

Dundee would be a good choice but It is not my first preference at the moment.
Reply 39
Dundee is my 1st choice followed by Aberdeen then St Andrews. I really dont care too much about anything else except being accepted somewhere

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending