The Student Room Group

Dundee medicine

I have recently received an offer to study medicine at Dundee. I am 24F graduate. Lived at home (with parents) in Edinburgh throughout my undergrad and masters. I was hoping to stay in Edinburgh for medicine but didn't get an offer. Now that I have an opportunity to go to Dundee, I am happy but am slowly starting to realise how much I dislike change and moving to a whole new city, not living at home for the first time, is making me increasingly anxious. I know that sounds pathetic, especially considering I am 24 years old.

My reason for posting here is that I am hoping to get some more info about life at Dundee from current/past medical students. I want to know what I can expect as at the moment, it all feels very uncertain and September is not far away. So I have a few questions:

\- What is the weekly timetable like for year 1? Is it typically 9-5 or are there some half days (other than Wednesday of course).

\- Where do clinical placements take place? I know there is a lot at Ninewells but not sure where other placements take place outside of Dundee. I can't drive (need to learn), so hopefully, they're not super remote.

\- What is the workload like in the first year?

\- How do people typically get to Ninewells? I took the bus there for my interview but also like walking and cycling. But not sure how safe the area is to do that?

\- Are there many graduates/mature students on the course? I am conscious that I'm going to be. a lot older than other students, which I don't mind that much but would be nice to know there are other older ones.

\- Where do most medics live? Starting to look for accommodation now as I know it gets crazy busy. Worst-case scenario I will commute from Edinburgh until I find somewhere.

Ok, so that is a lot of questions. If anyone could answer at least one I would be very grateful! Thank you.
Reply 1
Try posting on the Dundee medicine facebook page or contacting the Medicine school in Dundee.
(edited 11 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending