The Student Room Group

Cadets banned from carrying rifles on Remembrance day

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Ocassus
You don't but you were allowed to in the first place. It has been taken away on the basis that it 'glorifies weapons'. Which is simply untrue... Why is it so wrong to take this approach of discipline and pride? A parade with weapons and honor guard done properly is that bit more special, and it is more special for the cadets to...

You also used to be allowed to own slaves and kill those who showed you a lack of respect.

Rules and time change.

And the parade isn't and never will be about the cdts. They do not need to feel any more special than they may already feel.
Reply 21
Original post by PerigeeApogee

It does glorify weapons.

The cadets themselves might not see it as glorification of the weapon, but spectators certainly do, and it IS!

What's the point in having the rifle anyway? It adds nothing.

It teaches respect for the weapon... In short.
Reply 22
Original post by Drewski

Original post by Drewski
You also used to be allowed to own slaves and kill those who showed you a lack of respect.

Rules and time change.

And the parade isn't and never will be about the cdts. They do not need to feel any more special than they may already feel.

Actually much of it is about the cadets. The cadets represent the newer generation of soldiers, and it is therefore important that that band is present when remembering the old.
Reply 23
Original post by flugelr

The only time you need to carry a rifle on parade is when you are in the Colour Guard.

This.

Most cadets Rifle Drill is atrocious and the event has no call for weapons.
Personally, I'd rather see 50 cadets parading looking smart than 50 cadets shambling along, clattering wepons and being all out of time on movements.
Reply 24
Original post by Ocassus

The cadets do teach respect for the weapon, but parading with a weapon doesn't teach that. Using it on the range etc does.
Reply 25
Original post by flugelr

Original post by flugelr
The cadets do teach respect for the weapon, but parading with a weapon doesn't teach that. Using it on the range etc does.

Parading WITH a weapon is still part of the army, and it is closely tied to what the cadets do in their training and it is only fit that that is represented. Carrying a weapon on parade is a sign of respect in itself, and when done properly looks tidier than without.
Reply 26
It does glorify weapons.

The cadets themselves might not see it as glorification of the weapon, but spectators certainly do, and it IS!

What's the point in having the rifle anyway? It adds nothing.

It's part of the ceremony.And it is also a part of the Cadet syllabus (APC in the ACF)

I agree however, they rilfes arn't needed by everyone on a parade. Only the Colour Gaurd, or Honour Gaurd in some cases.
I wouldn't have a problem with it as long as the guns were not loaded.
Reply 28
Original post by Broderss
****ing PC Brigade. I hate them so much. They will be the downfall of this country and indeed the Western world.

Oh come on man... talk about exaggerating.
Reply 29
Why do they need to carry rifles? Why are they any better, any more respected because they carry rifles?

Surely they've enough pride in their uniform and what they're there for so that they don't need a rifle.
Reply 30
Original post by chiggy321

Original post by chiggy321
Why do they need to carry rifles? Why are they any better, any more respected because they carry rifles?

Surely they've enough pride in their uniform and what they're there for so that they don't need a rifle.

Because like it or not, it is important to the cadets themselves...
Reply 31
Original post by Drewski

Original post by Drewski

Rules and time change.

I'm sorry.. i didn't realize we were shooting people all of a sudden? Using such an extreme example smells a bit like strawman to me...
I watch enough Cadets flake it every year on Rememberance Sunday, in addition to all the previously mentioned reasons, it's just not worth the hassle.

Besides, I'm actually one of the people that would prefer not to see Children marching down the streets holding rifles. Whilst I understand that the Cadet Forces are not child-soldiers, I still sometimes uhm-and-ahh about some of the things that teenagers aged as young as 13 are taught.
All I will say is that the tories are in power, so it isnt just Labour that creates a nanny state
Reply 34
Original post by Ocassus
Parading WITH a weapon is still part of the army, and it is closely tied to what the cadets do in their training and it is only fit that that is represented. Carrying a weapon on parade is a sign of respect in itself, and when done properly looks tidier than without.

I wouldn't say that it looks tidier. It can look very smart, but a mistake in rifle drill is much more obvious than a mistake in an ordinary parade.

Basic fact is you don't need to do it and you are acting like a spoilt child who has had his toys taken away. You should be proud to be wearing the Queen's uniform and to be on parade next to the veterans. Rifles is just extra icing on the cake; nice, but not at all needed.
Reply 35
Original post by Ocassus
I'm sorry.. i didn't realize we were shooting people all of a sudden? Using such an extreme example smells a bit like strawman to me...

:rolleyes:

It was merely an example of a rule that used to be in place. Seeing as you're so intent for an old rule, since removed, to remain enforced you should be well up for it.

As has been mentioned many times, cdts do not *need* rifles while on parade, having a rifle does not enhance the respect shown and in fact only adds complexity and highlights errors. They're still being allowed to parade, on public streets, in uniform.

They can show respect like everyone else: their attendance and the wearing of a poppy. Anything else is superfluous.
Reply 36
I was in the Army Cadet foe 4 years, not once did I parade on Rememberance Day with a rifle. Why? Because you don't need a rifle to remember soldiers lives. It's not PC, the Army Cadets isn't training to become a soldier. Soldiers would be expected to carry a rifle in some marches, not all. Some soldiers parade on Remembrance Day without rifle. The day is to commemorate those who died while serving their country in the most devastating war known to mankind, not to show off.
Reply 37
Original post by contractlaw
All I will say is that the tories are in power, so it isnt just Labour that creates a nanny state

Cadets have been banned from carrying rifles for a while now. It's not just some new rule Tories put in. It was just enforcing a rule and the media took it out of hand without understanding the situation, eg. The Dailymail.
Reply 38
Original post by flugelr

Original post by flugelr
I wouldn't say that it looks tidier. It can look very smart, but a mistake in rifle drill is much more obvious than a mistake in an ordinary parade.

Basic fact is you don't need to do it and you are acting like a spoilt child who has had his toys taken away. You should be proud to be wearing the Queen's uniform and to be on parade next to the veterans. Rifles is just extra icing on the cake; nice, but not at all needed.

I don't happen to be in the CCF anymore, I just think its taking something away from the people who are in it. Especially in the case of the Plymouth Platoon, who had spent a great amount of time practicing for it.
Reply 39
Original post by Ocassus

Why respect a rifle?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending