The Student Room Group

Joining Air Cadets as a 16 y/o

Is it too late? I would probably only stay for 2 years before going off to uni. And it seems like most people join a lot younger. I don't know if it's still worth it other than that I want to do engineering as a career.
Reply 1
I joined Air Cadets at 15 last and had similar thoughts to you, but its been quite fun and I would definitely reccomend it.
Reply 2
Join. It's one of the best things I've ever done. The amount of opportuninites I've had are endless and where I come from we don't get as many opportunites as other areas. Honestly just go for it, even if you just turn up to your local squadron and go for a few nights before you decide. Whats the worst that you can happen? If you turn up and don't like it you can always leave.
Age doesn't really matter as much as it does in other groups. I'm 17 and whilst I have friends my age I also get on well with the younger cadets. Sometimes it really feels like a family. One thing you will have to consider though is whether you'll be able to manage cadets (NCO's - Seargents and Corporals)who are the same age as you, maybe younger, telling you what to do.
On the other hand though, I know a Cadet who joined at 16, got promoted after 3 months, has been on so many courses and is now the highest rank and one of the best cadets in the uk.
My advice is to just go for it. You never know what could happen. Joining air cadets is one of the best choices I have ever made. The memories and skills I've got from it are endless.
(edited 9 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest